Ice Ice Baby - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Ice Ice Baby

Turtle Wax Ice Polish

Sunday I washed and clayed my wife's Element using Meguiers Wash & Meguiers Clay.

Then took to it with the Ice. Ice is a synthetic polish that contains petroleum distillates in a low viscosity formulation. It's thicker than water but not as thick as syrup, I'd liken it to jello before you refrigerate it.

One of the claimed benefits of Ice is that it leaves no white powdery residue after dry. And that is true. Her Element has more flat black surfaces than mine and I went over the entire vehicle (except the windows - don't use on glass) on both the painted and flat black surfaces. Let it dry for about 10 minutes while I vacuumed out the car. Then buffed it off with a microfiber towel (comes with the Ice), I then used a fresh microfiber towel and went over the car again.

It gleamed. The "run your fingers over the finish" test was impressive. Of course the clay evened out the surface before the Ice was applied so it's likely any surface treatment would've been slick.

The real advantage I see to using Ice is you don't need to fret over cleaning white powder out of the badges or off the black trim.

3 days later I find the surface still looks like it was just finished. She parks on and drives down a dirt road 2-4 times daily. A quick spritz with the water hose washed off any surface dirt that was accumulated, no spotting.

My Element is next. It's solid gloss black so that'll be the real test.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Any idea how long this polish is supposed to last?

post #3 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

no idea. I'm not familiar enough with the chemical makeup to truly formulate an understanding of how it adheres and if its outermost surface has any durability. It is a polish, not a wax.

I've not read anything about any claims on length of protection.

My real interest in the product was born out of the frustration of the 7-8 hours it takes me to wash, clay and wax a car using Zymol, the tedious cleanup drives me nuts and for days finding little nooks and crannies I missed with the q-tips.

edit -
From the website:
Turtle Wax® ICE™ is a clear wax formulated with completely new technology that blends silicone and hydrocarbon polymers to provide extraordinary shine and durability.

I was under the impression that a polish and a wax are two very different things? Wrong / Right? Are they interchangeably throwing words around?

post #4 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

No the Polish/Wax combined has such small amounts of "polishing" abilities that it is just helping rid the finish of impurities. Any real POLISH will have some serious stripping ability and if done enough will go right through your finish and paint. Most of the stuff they sell out there with Wax/Polish would have to be used so profusely to do that... not to worry.

I LOVE cleaning my ride and giving it the ultimate clay and wax treatments. BUT who has time anymore? I admit... my daily driver... I take to the scrub a dub car wash and run it through every week or so. I'm killing the finish... I know... but I dont have time to baby them anymore. PLUS... in two more years... it will be replaced.

I need a toy to baby... I really do.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #5 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
I need a toy to baby... I really do.
How's this?

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...iletype=normal

If I had a car like that, and someone asked me to race. I'd pull my motorcycle helmet off the passenger seat and put it on. Vroom vroom.

2 > 4
post #6 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

That 911 Turbo is one sweet looking machine isnt it. But you cant just walk in and buy one of those... lists man lists! If your a first time Porsche buyer its my guess your looking at 2yrs or so for a 911 Turbo.

Rumor has it a 911 GT2 is coming out with a hopped up goodie bag of fun bits that will make it the fastest 911 to date. 2008 model. $190k. And I think they are sold out before they even announced the actual delivery date.

Nah I need something... I know what I want... actually 2 or 3 ideas... but the bike is out for right now.... so 2 ideas. I'll start a Poll... see what you freaks think. I just wish it was a year or two from now and I had my financial picture a bit more clearer. All this waiting on ownership sucks donkey nuts.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #7 of 15 Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

There's a really cool '69 VW squareback right around the corner from my place. It's half "done" Virtually rust free, including the pan ! 1914 cc that needs rings. Or just buy anew set of Mahles. Baby dells. Stock heads and cam. Psst 041s be the hot ticket there. Needs window rubber, paint, minor welding. Really it's got lots of potential. 1200.

Did I justthe place?

post #8 of 15 Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Immune

Ant idea how Ice would work on a black matte/satin finish? I.E. an 02 9er? I need something to protect the paint. Everyone has an opinion on the matte wax controversy. If it's a little more shiny I don't mind. But when the paint peels from the drips of gas, I'm gunna be pissy.

So, being a fan of turtle products, I was hoping somebody already tried it.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM

After reading various threads here about polishes I did the car with Mothers clay bar kit, then NXT Generation wax, then hit it with ICE.

Very happy with the results.

Mothers mag polish did great on the chrome bits too

post #10 of 15 Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Pics?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #11 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

So Kevin, are you still using this stuff. I bought some and tried it, but couldn't help going over it with regular wax. It doesn't seem it would be very long lasting. It didn't leave that glass smooth creamy feeling on the paint when done.

It is nice not having to worry about getting it onto mouldings, etc.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #12 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

I only use it now in the door jams and other places I can't easily get wax residue cleaned out from. There's just no replacing Zymol for everything else in my opinion.

post #13 of 15 Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 PM

I hate that Ice wax! I kept the can that I bought though for waxing the rubber on my car to keep it from fading. It is to thin to do good and very hard to get off. I will say what wax I love and that is McGuire's cleaner wax, it comes in a burgundy bottle and you pour a little on to your applicator and wipe on, it's leaves a thick coat of wax on and is very easy to get off. It also has a little cleaner in it so it takes light swirls and scratches out. I wash then wax 3-4+ times in a row or until I feel, yes feel that it isn't helping anymore, try it once and you will crap at how your car will look!

post #14 of 15 Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Kevin when you are done I have a truck, trailer and 8 bikes in the garage.

Chop Chop

post #15 of 15 Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

PS thank you very much for the number plates they are perfect as always!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode