I only have one thing to say... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

I only have one thing to say...

& since there is no flame forum anymore I'll do it here:

YAMAHA MIRROR MOUNTS SUCK!!!!!!

Freakin left hand threaded BS!!!!

I just had one of the more frustrating days in my motorcycle carrer with these stupid things. This is my first Yamaha street bike. Why does Yamaha think they need to be different than everybody else when it comes to mirrors.

I can't & won't get into specifics, its too long & far too embarassing; but I will take a page from Obama's playbook & say I did inherit some of this mess as it is a used bike & some mistakes were made before I got there.

Somehow, & I have no idea how, I don't have to buy a whole bunch of new parts including an entire new master cylinder with integral mirror mount despite running a right hand thread tap through it's original left hand thread mirror mount & still being able to insert & fully tighten a left hand thread mirror.

Wow, what a day but I got some mirrors on my Yamaha. I'll take phillips head case screws anyday. That is all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That was pretty mild for a rant. I laughed at your expense though. You told just enough to paint a pretty clear picture.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I remember that biting me in the ass once, too...not quite so spectacularly though. You really ran a RH tap through it? cool....

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

post #4 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'm laughing pretty hard, that is a lesson I learned 30+ years ago -

But I did not run a right hand thread through there at least ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

You're a good sport, chalk it up to experience

post #5 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Now that I've cooled down some more tidbits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
You really ran a RH tap through it?
Yes I did & got a right hand thread mirror mount to tighten up on the master cylinder side, then much later after failing on the clutch side, was able to get the original left hand thread mirror mount started again & fully tightened (without any LH tap).

The PO did something to the mirror mounts. I don’t know what. But I first tried just putting the mirrors on complete but they would not go. What threw me is he messed up the threads just enough that I was able to start the master cylinder mirror by turning it to the right in the LH mount a turn or so; so I thought the RH went there & the threads were just a bit messed.

Next I separated the small mirror adaptors from the mirror itself---a big mistake! I then walked away for awhile and went out & bought a tap & die set to clean up the hole in the master cylinder. I came back & tried to thread just the adaptors into the mounts because it was easier to horse them around without the entire mirror on. Then I reamed out the master cylinder with the RH tap & mounted the adaptor. As I beamed at my accomplishment, I then tried putting the master cylinde side mirror onto the mirror adaptor I just installed. Hmm, that won't go either so out comes the RH tap again. Now the adaptor is steel instead of the soft aluminum of the master cylinder so I had a much tougher go & stopped after only a short while. I figured great, need a new adaptor so I removed it & threw it in the trash can.

I moved on to the clutch side----Hmm, that won’t go either & I don't have any left hand thread taps. I go up to the computer to try & order both mirror adaptors & the clutch side mount since it is a separate piece. Damn, can't buy just the mirror mounts without buying entire new mirrors. Check Ebay, no stock mirrors there. Back to the garage to fish out that mirror adaptor I threw in the trash. Now normally no big deal, but I just completed an oil change on the truck & a brake line switch on the dirt bike so of course that steel adaptor vanished to the bottom of a pile of nasty rags, oil quart containers, fast food garbage etc. After rooting around awhile it was exhumed.

I started flipping though the Dennis Kirk catalog for mirrors…..but what’s this I see?…..the LEFT HAND THREAD GOES ON THE RIGHT SIDE….the catalog explains. The color quickly drained from my face & I felt like I was about to throw up.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU’ ME!!!!!!!!

Now I was the one that ruined all the threads far more than the PO did. In my infinite wisdom of removing the mirror adaptors from the mirrors I assumed the left hand thread one went to the left & the right hand thread one went to the right…..why else would they make them different? WRONG!

So I took the RH mirror adaptor I tossed & put it on the clutch side, went in without much fuss. Now I tried to put the mirror on—this is the adaptor I somewhat tried to tap----& actually got it on & it turns OK---whew, good.

Now on to the bloody master cylinder side I was just hours before cleaning aluminum shavings from. Like I said, I don’t know how, but I got the LH thread started & fully tightened despite completely running a RH tap through it. I’m not touching it ever again. Its tight & until God looseness it I won’t be touching it again.

The lesson boys & girls:

#1 Never separate the mirror adaptors from the mirrors as you will get them confused even after marking them “L” & “R”.
#2 The LH thread goes on the right & the RH thread goes on the left. Go figure.

I told you, long & embarrassing.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Next time you are going to change mirrors call me. I'll bring a camera and beer. We'll have a great time.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

The reasoning I was once told about for the strange threading is that they (theoretically) self-tighten with wind pressure against them....or some other lame reason for having a LH thread...

not that it's much help to you!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #8 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
The reasoning I was once told about for the strange threading is that they (theoretically) self-tighten with wind pressure against them....or some other lame reason for having a LH thread...

that is my understanding as well.

we've all had days like that Bryce, glad you got the mirrors to work in the end at least.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:

What a bummer repair situation!!

My understanding for the LH threads on the RH side is that the mirror will loosen on impact. Sort of a safety thing.

Mark

post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

it takes a big man to admit he did something like that.....

thanks for the laugh... i really needed one today.....

+10 man points

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode