I love Pirelli tyres. - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By Avispao

post #1 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I love Pirelli tyres.

Badly worn front and back. Still stick like glue.
Currently running flogged out Pirelli Diablo Strada. Now about to put on a set of Pirelli Diablo. Slightly less aggressive tread pattern.
Wouldn't say that these Diablos have been the longest lasting tyres. I've been chewing up a rear yearly.
But they feel great, even badly worn.
Good on loose surfaces too. I go down a lot of gravel roads. Lots of loose gravel on all the sealed roads around here too.
Never had a puncture.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 03:56 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Badly worn front and back. Still stick like glue.
Currently running flogged out Pirelli Diablo Strada. Now about to put on a set of Pirelli Diablo. Slightly less aggressive tread pattern.
Wouldn't say that these Diablos have been the longest lasting tyres. I've been chewing up a rear yearly.
But they feel great, even badly worn.
Good on loose surfaces too. I go down a lot of gravel roads. Lots of loose gravel on all the sealed roads around here too.
Never had a puncture.
Sounds like a winning combo' of characteristics for your roads and riding.
Done any two up riding lately?

post #3 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Yep. Been doing a bit of two up riding.
Weather permitting. Bloody windy this season.
The 919 is a great bike for two up. Stable, good torque, low seat height and upright riding position. Been fun.

post #4 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 05:54 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Yep. Been doing a bit of two up riding.
Weather permitting. Bloody windy this season.
The 919 is a great bike for two up. Stable, good torque, low seat height and upright riding position. Been fun.
PLUS a pillion post : passenger pegs relationship that is not in a gynecological examination position.
Islandboy likes this.

post #5 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

My passenger is a small tidy unit and I'm sure would have folded well if required. But I agree, I'm glad my new friend wasn't required to assume such extreme positions.
Also Diablo pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200218_134121-1_1581994078434.jpg (115.2 KB, 11 views)

post #6 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 07:02 PM
McTavish

Quote:
My passenger is a small tidy unit and I'm sure would have folded well if required. But I agree, I'm glad my new friend wasn't required to assume such extreme positions.
Also Diablo pic.
It was so easy to pick the 919 re the passenger post.
Good relationship from peg to seat.
No big side exhaust can to straddle on one side.
Wouldn't want more of a step though, re how much higher than rider seat.
And icing on the cake was the ability to put on a centre stand.

post #7 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I was quietly gutted to see Honda not offer a OEM centre stand on some of their recent bikes.

post #8 of 23 Old 02-17-2020, 09:27 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I was quietly gutted to see Honda not offer a OEM centre stand on some of their recent bikes.
Yeah, and even the Z900RS has a centre stand option!

post #9 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 05:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I've had the same experience with my michelin pilot roads, and they last forever too... My test on when it's time to change them is to try to wheelie in the pouring rain.. if it spins it's time to change, if it grips they're good to go. I've never had one spin with less than 10k miles on it...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I will admit I've not tried the Michelin pilots roads so I can't compare. Although I strongly suspect I'm not getting anywhere near the sort of Michelin milage that I read about on this forum with the Pirelli.
Around here the Pirelli tyres are much cheaper than the Michelin. Nearly half the price. I do like the aggressive look of the Pirelli tread.

post #11 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 05:22 PM
Tesserarius

The Pilot Road will certainly last a while. Just don't expect a whole lot of traction.

The Pilot Power is a fine tire, but since I bought my first Pirelli a couple of years ago, that all I've bought since.

Center stands on street bikes have got the way of the kick starter on dirtbikes. I put a centerstand on my 04 919; it was great. I used it all the time!

post #12 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Milites Gregarius

I’m on an MT10 and KTM forum and there are currently active threads on both forums talking about the lack of center stands or aftermarket options.
One guy even said he was going to forgo an MT10 and get an older FZ1 just to have a center stand.

I’m not a street Rossi or track rider, and I know street sport tires offer better grip, but the newer generations of sport touring tires are pretty damn good.
I ran Pirelli Angel GT/GT II on my SDGT and they had plenty of grip for aggressive street riding leaned over hard, all the way to the edge.

I’ve heard some good things about the Michelin Road 5’s on some other forums, though I’ve never used them.

Pic is of my Angel GT rear at about 4000 miles. Bike had a mfr claimed 175 HP and 104 ft-lbs, and I’m not light on the throttle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3E22497B-7448-4585-94B5-4B9477D1FA0D_1582081603168.jpeg (111.5 KB, 8 views)

post #13 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 11:02 PM
Wanna free cat?

+1 on a centerstand. It was the first thing added to mine. Would not tour on a bike without one. They're currently available on Ebay for the 919.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
--- Mae West
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 CB900F
post #14 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I've run pirelli angels before. Great long lasting tyre. I think the aussie 919s came with them stock from the factory. Not sure about that.
The centre stand or lack of is almost a deal breaker for me. I love the new cb1000 neo but would probably get a z900rs just cause it's got a centre stand.

post #15 of 23 Old 02-19-2020, 05:56 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
I've run pirelli angels before. Great long lasting tyre. I think the aussie 919s came with them stock from the factory. Not sure about that.
The centre stand or lack of is almost a deal breaker for me. I love the new cb1000 neo but would probably get a z900rs just cause it's got a centre stand.
I’ve had an Angel ST on a rear before (got it real cheap and wanted it on until the front was worn so I could switch both to the GTII at the same time) which was the first generation of the Angel line; and if they came on the 919 probably was the tire of that time. The ST is still available for sale.
With the GT they improved the compounds (as all tires have done over time) and went to dual compound (ST was single compound).
The ST was a good tire but the GT definitely was more confidence inspiring, at least from my experience.
Still not as grippy as the pure sport tires, but very good and get some extra life (all things being equal).

post #16 of 23 Old 02-19-2020, 08:21 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
The Pilot Road will certainly last a while. Just don't expect a whole lot of traction.

The Pilot Power is a fine tire, but since I bought my first Pirelli a couple of years ago, that all I've bought since.

Center stands on street bikes have got the way of the kick starter on dirtbikes. I put a centerstand on my 04 919; it was great. I used it all the time!
Define "not a whole lot of traction." I'd say the percentage of people that ride motorcycles that can legitimately out ride the grip of a good sport touring tire on the street is less than 10%, especially on a bike like a 919 or other naked, and even those that can usually don't, because riding that hard on the street is frankly reckless and stupid. I even did my first two track days on a set of pilot roads, and had absolutely no complaints. I'd destroy them in a few laps now, but they're still more than sufficient for anything I'm ever going to attempt on the street.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #17 of 23 Old 02-19-2020, 05:52 PM
Tesserarius

Sounds to me like you already have it all figured out. Next time I need your expert opinion, I'll be sure to ask. Have a nice day.

post #18 of 23 Old 02-20-2020, 12:48 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
Iíve heard some good things about the Michelin Road 5ís on some other forums, though Iíve never used them.
Yeah, I've got a set of 5's, and I think they are excellent - great on tip-in, hold a nice line, very confidence-inspiring. The best I have had, having also run Pirelli's and Contimotions for a while. Hoping for good mileage, too, but I'm only 7,000km into them, so can't comment on that aspect just yet.

post #19 of 23 Old 02-20-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
919 Rider

I ran Bridgestone once. Never again.

post #20 of 23 Old 02-20-2020, 07:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Sounds to me like you already have it all figured out. Next time I need your expert opinion, I'll be sure to ask. Have a nice day.
I'm asking for why you think they "don't have much traction?" I've heard similar lines from many people that aren't riding near the limit of their tires and buy into the marketing hype and the word of other street Rossi's. If you are a very talented rider and have had grip issues with these tires I'd love to hear about them to further enhance my knowledge and sample size.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #21 of 23 Old 02-20-2020, 10:00 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Tires provide more than just grip to me. I consider the profile of the tire, the stiffness of the carcass, or how the tire actually feels. I appreciate a tire that gives me confidence.
I recently switched from a q3+ to the rosso iii and while the pirelli had fun handling characteristics, I had much more control and confidence, particularly in the trail braking stage, with the q3+. The pirelli had a much softer carcass and felt vague and uninspiring on turn in and on the side of the tire. The grip was there, but it never really communicated it. The rear was soft too, which made the ride a little softer but also caused the rear end to pump where it normally wouldn't. I only really noticed it had slightly less grip when aggressively downshifting for corners, when the rear tire would slide when it normally wouldn't with the q3. Overall, it was still a fun tire, but only really because it made the bike have handling quirks. It wasn't necessarily a fast tire in my opinion. Can't overlook how great the mileage is on this tire though. What I'm trying to saying is, while sport touring tires might have enough grip, they might not have the other aspects that make a tire inspire you to go fast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #22 of 23 Old 02-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Discen

I've runned Stradas, Angel, Road 1 and Road 2, Z6 and Contiforce.

Stradas are the same as Z6, i liked them a lot and i've repeated many times. The problem with them is just that they really need to be warmed, or they can give you some bare scares, even in the city. Angels are more of the same, with better reactions. In the wet they worked very fine, once warmed. I got about 7500km of all of them.

Road 1 were very hard and you could feel every bump, but they allowed great angles if you trusted them. I got 12000km from them.

Road 2, which i'm running now, are as good as the others in dry tarmac, but i don't feel any confidence on wet. They have 8000km by now, and they are still in good shape.

Contiforces were really good in the wet and dry, but also they lasted shorter than the others, only 5500km.

On the other hand, i bought this bike instead of a Speed Triple because i need my gunner behind.
Islandboy likes this.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #23 of 23 Old 02-20-2020, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Yep. I'm getting a very similar milage on Stradas. Approx 7000km. Cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode