I just cant help myself - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By LDH
  • 2 Post By LDH

post #1 of 20 Old 05-26-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I just cant help myself

I am one of those guys that spends too much time cleaning and polishing my motorcycle. If i buy a used bike i spend weeks cleaning it to perfection. I lay on a the floor cleaning rag in hand and remove any and all dirt,bungs grease etc. After every ride i go over the bike and spot clean it.I got a nick name at our Monday night bike night PLEDGE ,. I have no interest in being the fastest guy up the mountain. But i do love being asked what year is my bike or is it new. No matter how hard you try you will not find a dead bug on my bike. I use a lot of Q tips .
Sold my 2007 SV 650 to the first person that looked at it for more than he wanted to pay. My 2007 919 is shinier than when it was new.But my bikes are not hanger Queens i ride them. If it looks like rain [ so cal no rain ] i will not ride, I average 400 miles a month year round. I never keep it parked in the sun all day
By the way if you do not know Pledge is a awesome motorcycle cleaner. Plastic, paint, rubber, frame . spray it on and wipe it down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Discen

OCD?

post #3 of 20 Old 05-26-2018, 03:46 PM
919 Rider

Yeah I hate bugs too.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-26-2018, 04:21 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabiker View Post
I am one of those guys that spends too much time cleaning and polishing my motorcycle. If i buy a used bike i spend weeks cleaning it to perfection. I lay on a the floor cleaning rag in hand and remove any and all dirt,bungs grease etc. After every ride i go over the bike and spot clean it.I got a nick name at our Monday night bike night PLEDGE ,. I have no interest in being the fastest guy up the mountain. But i do love being asked what year is my bike or is it new. No matter how hard you try you will not find a dead bug on my bike. I use a lot of Q tips .
Sold my 2007 SV 650 to the first person that looked at it for more than he wanted to pay. My 2007 919 is shinier than when it was new.But my bikes are not hanger Queens i ride them. If it looks like rain [ so cal no rain ] i will not ride, I average 400 miles a month year round. I never keep it parked in the sun all day
By the way if you do not know Pledge is a awesome motorcycle cleaner. Plastic, paint, rubber, frame . spray it on and wipe it down.
I gotta laugh at the above.
Three of us had SOHC CB750s in the early 70s, each of us bought new.
My two friends washed, and cleaned, and waxed, and polished.
I thought wax build up in the production welds of that era really looked ugly, but that was where they drew their "max time allowed" line.
Shiny bright squeaky clean - with wax build up in the welds.
I hated such work, and bemoaned the time taken.
I bought a squeeze spray bottle and filled it with varsol.
Went to the coin op car wash, sprayed it on, then used the car wash wand for soap and rinse.
By the time I rode it home, a short ways a way, the chain would be dry and I would relube it.
My way took a fraction of the time, so I got more riding time.

post #5 of 20 Old 05-26-2018, 05:07 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabiker View Post
Didn't know about Pledge, any type of Pledge or just any?

I was given a can of spray polish when I bought my bike 5 years ago. It's specific to motorcycles and works great. I'm guessing is much like Pledge, but Pledge is probably cheaper.

post #6 of 20 Old 05-26-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post

I was given a can of spray polish when I bought my bike 5 years ago. It's specific to motorcycles and works great. I'm guessing is much like Pledge, but Pledge is probably cheaper.

Lemon pledge , but any spray furniture polish will work. Try not to spray places you cannot get to with a rag. Nothing like a black frame all clean and shinny.
At one time i had a custom pro street chopper type bike. With all the chrome and custom paint the detail cleaning showed. I never understood guys have a 30,000 dollar custom bike that looked like the chrome had never been cleaned. why have all that chrome.
Please do not think i am knocking people with other types of bikes not keeping them real clean, i am not. We are what we are and i like my bike nice. I actually envy people that take good care mechanically of their bike but do not fuss over keeping it spotless. They have a freedom i do not have.

post #7 of 20 Old 05-26-2018, 06:02 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post

Good ol' Lemon Pledge!
Amazing stuff, well, I assume it still is and that the recipe has not been corrupted over time like so many have.
I&M Leathers of Hamilton Ontario swore by Lemon Pledge back in the 70s for cleaning leathers.
Mind you, his leathers were made of the so called coated type, unlike the English stuff of that era.
Anyway, if you had Bates or I&M etc etc, Lemon Pledge was THE stuff to use for cleaning them.

post #8 of 20 Old 05-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Tesserarius

If you don't have Spray 9, Get some! You can order from Amazon.

These Brembos get Road grime as well as brake dust. You can't tell from the pic, but the surface is like a fine beadblast, that is good at holding grime. Hit it with Spray 9. Light scrub with a brush, hit it with the garden hose. They'll look like new.

This stuff will cut thru day old chain lube right now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1965.jpg (128.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1966.jpg (154.0 KB, 13 views)

post #9 of 20 Old 05-28-2018, 01:43 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
If you don't have Spray 9, Get some! You can order from Amazon.

These Brembos get Road grime as well as brake dust. You can't tell from the pic, but the surface is like a fine beadblast, that is good at holding grime. Hit it with Spray 9. Light scrub with a brush, hit it with the garden hose. They'll look like new.

This stuff will cut thru day old chain lube right now!
Have you ever used S100 so you can offer your observations of the comparative differences?

post #10 of 20 Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Tesserarius

Never heard of S100.

I'm sure there's a bunch of products that work well. Spray 9 is the one I am most familiar.

post #11 of 20 Old 05-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Pesky Canadian

I'm pretty meticulous with keeping my bikes clean too. One of the benefits of doing a thorough cleaning job on a regular basis, is it allows you to get a good look at things, close up. There have been times where I have found a bolt loose or something out of place, while I'm cleaning my bikes. Its good preventative maintenance, to make sure everything is right.

post #12 of 20 Old 05-29-2018, 09:32 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
I'm pretty meticulous with keeping my bikes clean too. One of the benefits of doing a thorough cleaning job on a regular basis, is it allows you to get a good look at things, close up. There have been times where I have found a bolt loose or something out of place, while I'm cleaning my bikes. Its good preventative maintenance, to make sure everything is right.

Spend more time doing the maintenance right and less time trying to keep it pretty and you won't have a "loose bolt or something out of place". It's all about priorities.
Diablo likes this.

post #13 of 20 Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Pesky Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Spend more time doing the maintenance right and less time trying to keep it pretty and you won't have a "loose bolt or something out of place". It's all about priorities.

See, I consider frequent cleanings as part of my regular maintenance. I look at tire wear, chain slack, brake condition, fluid levels, etc.
Some of this stuff is part of my pre ride check too.
My point is, when you clean, you are getting a closer look at your bike.

post #14 of 20 Old 05-30-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I consider my 919 mechanical art going down the road,many only consider it a tool and that is fine also.By my bike being spotless it reflects on how i take care of my motorcycle.It is not hard to keep a motorcycle looking nice and still ride it in So Cal. We have very few bugs in our dry climate. After a 100 mile ride a wet rag will clean off anything that got on the bike in a couple of seconds. If i lived in a part of the country that had a lot of bugs and rain i would not bother cleaning my bike a lot.

post #15 of 20 Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Tesserarius

It doesn't take very long at all to keep things clean.
I never understood why it wasn't any problem finding the time to get the thing dirty, but no time to clean it up.
I never understood how anyone could take a fine piece of equipment and treat it like shit.

post #16 of 20 Old 05-31-2018, 10:04 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
It doesn't take very long at all to keep things clean.
I never understood why it wasn't any problem finding the time to get the thing dirty, but no time to clean it up.
I never understood how anyone could take a fine piece of equipment and treat it like shit.

By both nature and experience I have a lot of mechanical sympathy and genuine concern for my motorcycles, but it goes both ways. I have bikes in pristine condition on static display that you could eat off of

and I have bikes that get the ever loving shit beat out of them like they owe me money because that is their intended use. Get up close and they have paint chips everywhere, scuffs from every angle and dirt and debris in most cracks & crevices. My time is spent keeping them in perfect operating condition as my life depends on it, but I'm not going to get killed just because they are dirty in some areas...

I rarely ride on the street, but when I do it is just more of the same. The bike is in excellent mechanical condition, but you wouldn't want to wipe a white glove anywhere under the bodywork I assure you...

If your enjoyment is in the cleaning and care of your bikes then great. I think that is awesome. I know riders that like to pose on their bikes and spend more time painting the letters on their tires than they do riding them to Hooters on Wednesday nights and that is fine too. I also know guys that have more bugs on their bikes than paint... It is what it is and there is no wrong way to own a motorcycle. There are only various levels of ownership intensity and riding proficiency. I don't believe that the guys with the cleanest bikes are automatically the safest or most mechanically sound though
badmoon692008 and Diablo like this.

post #17 of 20 Old 06-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Pesky Canadian

Well said. Diversity is what makes the world great.

post #18 of 20 Old 06-01-2018, 05:35 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Vintage motorcycle as art work inside your house. That gives me an idea...

post #19 of 20 Old 06-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Discen

It's all about priorities, everyone is different and has different experiences, I run and own my own business, I am divorced and live alone. I also have a house to maintain, cleaning, cooking, washing, lawns and gardens to mow, etc, etc. I ride for relaxation and stress relief, my bike is always mechanically spot on, if I have nothing to do I might oil the cables or change the fork oil. Washing my bike is probably last on my list of priorities, then there's the car as well. Collecting plenty of bugs lately and I don't care what anyone thinks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180602_091621.jpg (169.6 KB, 7 views)

post #20 of 20 Old 07-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Tirone

i have put over 1,000 miles on my bike in eight weeks. that is about one third of the total millage it had in 10 years before i bought it. I enjoy keeping it nice but i do ride a lot of short [ 30 mile ] rides . I ride to work fifteen miles once a week. I am able to keep it in doors at work and out of the sun. All day sunlight will turn a motorcycle into mush in a few years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode