How many miles do you have on your 919? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bartsitarski
  • 2 Post By marylandmike

post #1 of 15 Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
How many miles do you have on your 919?

I want to know how many miles you have on your 919. I have 18,000 on my 06, bought with 10,500 back in September of 2016. Did any major mechanical issues occur during this time?

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Optio

Garage
37k. Runs like a champ. Have dumped thousands on doodads and 0 on engine repairs. Runs like she's new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ewmin3m likes this.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #3 of 15 Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Discen

Garage
4,050, 50 of those by me. Dunno if its normal, but I have to hold the starter and let the engine turn over for about 3 full seconds before she fires up. Happens in cold (upper 30's) and warm (60's) weather. The choke doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Al

post #4 of 15 Old 04-07-2017, 05:57 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

2006 919, I'm at about 27~28K, no engine issues, no mods, and she runs awesome.

post #5 of 15 Old 04-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
4,050, 50 of those by me. Dunno if its normal, but I have to hold the starter and let the engine turn over for about 3 full seconds before she fires up. Happens in cold (upper 30's) and warm (60's) weather. The choke doesn't seem to make a difference either.
I've got about 30k on mine now. It only runs better the more I beat on it. Once saw a guy at the gas station and his said something well over 100k...

That doesn't seem right. My bike starts anywhere between 0.1 seconds and at worst 1 second of cranking when its like 10 degrees out and haven't been ridden in a while.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #6 of 15 Old 04-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:

Yeah, something doesn't sound right. May be a bad battery. I know when my battery is low because it's been sitting off the tender, it takes a bit to fire. But if I ride it, flick the switch and go. I think these bikes need all the volts they can get to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 15 Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

36,902 trouble free miles

Dan
post #8 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 04:18 AM
Discen

57,000KM and runs like a champ!... looks and feels and runs better then the day I bought it in 2002....

post #9 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 05:48 AM
Centurion

Quote:
Look under the seat & see if you have a power commander. If so remove it & the problem will be gone.

post #10 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

2007 purchased brand new in '07, approaching 94,000 miles. No major issues and it still runs and looks great.

Only real issues other than normal maintenance items are:

Rear brake switch- replaced with a hydraulic switch
Rear wheel bearings- replaced 2X
Front wheel bearings - replaced once
Dario_hawk and IHellsent like this.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I forgot to mention, some guy at my dealership has an 06 with 80,000 miles on it. It looks beat up but runs perfectly fine. Honda reliability!

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #12 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Discen

Garage
Negatory on the PC. Battery condition is questionable though, especially since the longest ride I've taken her out on is 45 minutes tops thus far. A lot of short practice sessions, maybe that's killing it.

Al
post #13 of 15 Old 04-08-2017, 03:33 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Negatory on the PC. Battery condition is questionable though, especially since the longest ride I've taken her out on is 45 minutes tops thus far. A lot of short practice sessions, maybe that's killing it.
That pretty much describes what I've been doing for a few years now and I don't have that problem. There's a few things you can do to test things.
1. hook up a fully charged car battery as a jump.
- you can jump straight to the starter and this would tell you about a voltage drop.
you'd be looking for how fast the starter turns the engine.

2. you can pull the plugs and check them out. See if they are all the same color. I had an issue with one bike where the starter switch would cut the power not just to the headlight, but somehow screwed up the voltage to the coils. About the only way to test this would be a timing light and crank the engine while the kill switch is on.

Spark during crank can be different, you might be getting lower voltage to the coils while cranking.

Are you allowing the fuel pump to pressure up or do you crank as soon as you turn the key? I wait until the gauges go thru their process and the fuel pump stops.

Another thing you can do is make a video of it while you're starting it. We can listen to the crank speed, might be poor ground to the starter.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 AM
Josh

Garage
I have about 24K on mine. Just did a valve check and all were within spec. No issues so faqr, and I really don't expect any. This engine is so under-stressed, it should run forever as long as I give it oil and gas.

post #15 of 15 Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Discen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
That pretty much describes what I've been doing for a few years now and I don't have that problem. There's a few things you can do to test things.
1. hook up a fully charged car battery as a jump.
- you can jump straight to the starter and this would tell you about a voltage drop.
you'd be looking for how fast the starter turns the engine.

2. you can pull the plugs and check them out. See if they are all the same color. I had an issue with one bike where the starter switch would cut the power not just to the headlight, but somehow screwed up the voltage to the coils. About the only way to test this would be a timing light and crank the engine while the kill switch is on.

Spark during crank can be different, you might be getting lower voltage to the coils while cranking.

Are you allowing the fuel pump to pressure up or do you crank as soon as you turn the key? I wait until the gauges go thru their process and the fuel pump stops.

Another thing you can do is make a video of it while you're starting it. We can listen to the crank speed, might be poor ground to the starter.
Thanks KarlJay! I'm going to start with the "easiest" one first - video. Weather is a crapshoot today but will try this week and post something up for you WT exprts to hopefully analyze.

Yup I always listen and wait for the FP to cycle before cranking it up.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode