4Likes
  • 1 Post By Supernintendo
  • 1 Post By ST-DocLizard1
  • 2 Post By Supernintendo

post #1 of 24 Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
How far is too far?

A cross-country solo ride has been something I've wanted to do for a while now, and this year I finally got an extra 5 days vacation from my employer so I have decided to pull the trigger.

Saturday morning I'm heading out on my 2007 919 on a 16-day, 5000ish mile ride. The niner is stock except for a shorty windshield I just put on it. Luggage will be stored in my two little Bilt soft throwover saddlebags and dry bag sitting behind me. I pack light.

The basic route is:
Atlanta to St. Louis via superslab. Hopefully that's the only highway of the trip.
Riding up to the top of Pike's Peak in CO, then spending a day riding around the Rockies
Badlands of S. Dakota, Mt. Rushmore & Crazy Horse, stay over in Sturgis
Fargo, ND through lakes of Minnesota to Duluth
Ride up the north shore of Lake Superior to Thunder Bay, Canada
Loop around the Great Lakes on the Canadian side, back into US via Buffalo.
Head down through NY and Pennsylvania into Amish country, Lancaster, PA
Keep heading south to Skyline Drive, VA which turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway
Take BRP for a couple days and end up at Lake Hartwell, GA

I have no idea how this will go, never been on a ride over 3 days. Maybe I'll be bored, maybe get lost, maybe have a blast, who knows. Just not gonna wait until I retire and my bad back or bad hip or whatever else hurts prevents me from doing it. Going now, while I can. I'm 43 going on 50 by the way.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0639.JPG (337.2 KB, 27 views)
Dario_hawk likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 PM
919 Rider

That's a nice clean ride. You're right, do it while you can. Have fun.

post #3 of 24 Old 06-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I was told from doc that he went cross country and back in 16 days and it was not enough time. Maybe you are younger lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 24 Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Nice looking ride, looks just like mine less the wind screen. I put my bag straps under the seat so that it's hard for someone to take them. I was able to raise the lock height of the seat so that the straps fit under.

I'd be concerned over rushing it so much that you don't enjoy the ride.

post #5 of 24 Old 06-29-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Nice looking ride, looks just like mine less the wind screen. I put my bag straps under the seat so that it's hard for someone to take them. I was able to raise the lock height of the seat so that the straps fit under.

I'd be concerned over rushing it so much that you don't enjoy the ride.
Good tip on those straps, thx. Yeah the aggressive schedule is not ideal, I just can't take any more time than that. Won't be much if any time for stopping to smell the roses, other than a quick picture or selfie at each interesting point. Plenty of seat-of-the-bike sightseeing though.

post #6 of 24 Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernintendo View Post
Good tip on those straps, thx. Yeah the aggressive schedule is not ideal, I just can't take any more time than that. Won't be much if any time for stopping to smell the roses, other than a quick picture or selfie at each interesting point. Plenty of seat-of-the-bike sightseeing though.
It's kinda odd, I guess it's a personal thing, but I've never been much of a "go visit" for a long time guy. I'd be with you on the "seat-of-the-bike sightseeing' ... I'm in California and I've gone up into the Gold Country, Sierra foot hills, Lake Tahoe, etc... It's dam fun, but I just pretty much go there, grab a bite to eat, kick back a bit, then head back home.

I guess in your case, if you run short on time, you could just cut parts out.

One other tip, I've been caught in weather that was great but a tad cold, some windbreaker type pants that stop the wind or even something that can deflect the wind mounted to the frame can really help. I learned that the hard way coming back home from the mountains where it can drop 20+ deg quickly.

post #7 of 24 Old 06-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

You have a very ambitious trip planned and I wish you luck and good weather. 16 days is not a lot of time at all for what you're planning on doing, but like you said, you have to seize the opportunity.

Don't forget the rain gear not just for wet weather, but for extra warmth when you get to high elevations in the Rockies. Don't forget to bring something to lube your chain.

Out of the 49 states I've ridden through, by far, the southwest and CA offered the best riding. If I had 16 days off, I would ride back there in a heartbeat. Are you absolutely set on going north after CO? Sturgis, Mt Rushmore, the Badlands are one and done sights. Most of the riding between western SD and buffalo, ny will be all boring slab with not much in between major cities.

Good luck, enjoy the trip, and stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #8 of 24 Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Sounds like an adventure. Enjoy the ride. Like Sckill said, you'll need to lube the chain; possibly adjust it. Other then that and making sure you start out on a good set of tires, the 9er can handle it. Have fun.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 24 Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Day 1 was all superslab to St. Louis
Day 2 a couple good stretches of Route 66, ended up in Wichita
Day 3 tons of farmland, windmills, prairies, plains, weather and sunshine. Ended up in Colorado Springs.
Day 4 summited Pike's Peak and rode around the Colorado a bit, visited Red Feather Lakes. Ended up in Cheyenne.
Tomorrow a bunch of South Dakota stuff. I hear there is a "Tail of the Dragon of the Midwest" up there. We shall see.
So far only Day 1 has been highway. Bike is holding up well. Windshield is a God-send, and so is a throttle lock.

Only real problem, other than dropping the bike on a muddy road in the middle of nowhere, KS, is that my chain is super loose and slapping around all the time. I don't have the tools to tighten it, so I need to find a shop that can help. But my schedule has almost zero spare time in it
Luckily Cheyenne does have a Home Depot, so I got supplies to clean and lube it.

Hey - remind me, which way do the adjusters turn to tighten the chain once I break the axle nut loose?

post #10 of 24 Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Well I mean you could always turn it to find out but I think clockwise tightens the chain

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #11 of 24 Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Bike on the side stand and in neutral.
Loosen the rear axle nut.
Turn the adjusting bolts an equal amount of turns counterclockwise to tighten the chain.
Chain slack should be 1 3/16 to 1-9/16 (30-40mm).
Roll the bike forward and re-check slack.
Adjust accordingly if needed.
Check alignment marks on each side. Both marks should be the same. If not, then re-adjust them.

Tighten the rear axle nut and snug up the adjusters!

Carry on!
marylandmike likes this.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #12 of 24 Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Bike on the side stand and in neutral.
Loosen the rear axle nut.
Turn the adjusting bolts an equal amount of turns counterclockwise to tighten the chain.
Chain slack should be 1 3/16 to 1-9/16 (30-40mm).
Roll the bike forward and re-check slack.
Adjust accordingly if needed.
Check alignment marks on each side. Both marks should be the same. If not, then re-adjust them.

Tighten the rear axle nut and snug up the adjusters!

Carry on!

Got it thanks guys. I found a shop that did it for me, and it immediately seemed to ride better and quieter. Like it was new again. But over the course of the day, the same sound came back. Chain is still tight (not too tight - normal play now). What else could be making that noise? It's coming from the left side, by my shifting foot, and is most noticeable at low speeds. It does not vary with RPM. What else could it be if not the chain? Do valves needing adjustment make a knocking or slapping sound? It really sounds like the chain hitting the guard or swingarm but it can't be. I'm stumped. Is it dangerous to keep riding? I have 2500 more miles to go and zero time to waste. Thanks again.

post #13 of 24 Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 PM
919 Rider

Did the mechanic lubricate the chain? During the day the lube got flung out and chain got noisy again.

post #14 of 24 Old 07-06-2017, 03:54 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

The original factory chain and sprocket set on my '06 has 28K on the clock. If I don't clean and lube it after every ride(250-300 miles), it gets very noisy and snatchy when taking off from a stop. It has come to the end of it's life despite being in the green zone and adjusted properly.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #15 of 24 Old 07-06-2017, 06:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Got it thanks guys. I found a shop that did it for me, and it immediately seemed to ride better and quieter. Like it was new again. But over the course of the day, the same sound came back. Chain is still tight (not too tight - normal play now). What else could be making that noise? It's coming from the left side, by my shifting foot, and is most noticeable at low speeds. It does not vary with RPM. What else could it be if not the chain? Do valves needing adjustment make a knocking or slapping sound? It really sounds like the chain hitting the guard or swingarm but it can't be. I'm stumped. Is it dangerous to keep riding? I have 2500 more miles to go and zero time to waste. Thanks again.
I get a lot of flack over this, but I had a noise on mine so I cleaned, lubed and adjusted the chain, the noise really didn't go away. I put the bike on the rear stand with the axle nut lose, ran it in 1st gear and listened to the chain. I adjusted left/right about 1/4 then 1/8 turns until the noise was gone. It worked. I've been told to never adjust it this way, but it actually works.

What's interesting is that about 1/8 turn can make a difference. Anyone that think the can look at the markers and see the difference a 1/8 turn makes... is taking some really good pills.

There's a tool for checking the chain alignment and there's a "string trick" for checking the tire alignment. I did it this way because it was cheap and easy. Others will talk about the danger, but it works.

post #16 of 24 Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
14 days, 6063 miles, complete. The 919 held up great with the exception of the chain which needed replacing a few days in. Overall mpg: 50.2.

If I ever attempt such craziness again, it'll be on a bike with hard bags, cruise control, and shaft drive. FJR perhaps?

Don't get me wrong though - that niner is capable of a long haul. Highlights included Route 66, Pike's Peak, Sturgis/Rushmore/Crazyhorse, Devil's Lake MN, North Shore of Superior, Trans-Canada highway, Niagara Falls, Pennsylvania Amish country, Gettysburg, Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway.
LDH and crakerjac like this.

post #17 of 24 Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
14 days, 6063 miles, complete. The 919 held up great with the exception of the chain which needed replacing a few days in. Overall mpg: 50.2.

If I ever attempt such craziness again, it'll be on a bike with hard bags, cruise control, and shaft drive. FJR perhaps?

Don't get me wrong though - that niner is capable of a long haul. Highlights included Route 66, Pike's Peak, Sturgis/Rushmore/Crazyhorse, Devil's Lake MN, North Shore of Superior, Trans-Canada highway, Niagara Falls, Pennsylvania Amish country, Gettysburg, Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway.
What was the problem with the soft bags?

Wasn't the problem with the chain just bad timing? You got caught out of town with a chain that was giving out? In other words, if you were to do it again, the new chain would hold up just fine, right?

Anyways, congrats on the ride, look forward to the pics.

Overall, how was it? I know it can be a balance between relaxing and getting somewhere.

post #18 of 24 Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Quote:

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great time if you're already thinking about the next trip and what bike to get.

I got to test out a 2017 FJR a couple of months ago and it feels like it would be an awesome ride for long distance while still letting you carve corners. Great wind protection, comfortable, planted, smooth, and powerful. The engine felt both very easy to control while also feeling like it had an endless reserve of power on tap. Best analogy I can think of is like being on a plane during takeoff.

Start saving up those vacation days because once you start touring by motorcycle, it's hard to stop.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #19 of 24 Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
What was the problem with the soft bags?

Wasn't the problem with the chain just bad timing? You got caught out of town with a chain that was giving out? In other words, if you were to do it again, the new chain would hold up just fine, right?

Anyways, congrats on the ride, look forward to the pics.

Overall, how was it? I know it can be a balance between relaxing and getting somewhere.
Yeah just a lesson learned really. The chain was mechanically fine, it was just too loose and couldn't be adjusted any tighter without removing a link. That's on me; failed to notice the maxed-out adjusters before I left. If I could do it again, I'd have just put my 17T front sprocket back on there which would remove chain slack and reduce vibes at cruising speed (and fixes the speedo).

The bags were OK for $99 from Cycle Gear. They're just really small, not waterproof, and deform pretty significantly after many hours of windblast. Much better than nothing though.

Overall - if you are like me and prioritize the riding over the stops, over the meals, over the comraderie... then a trip like this is great. I covered a ton of ground, rode through a bunch of very different environments and saw all kinds of cool sights. It was a really taxing schedule though. I was totally beat every day getting off the bike, and there was no downtime or relaxing built in at any point. I'd be much less aggressive in the scheduling if I did it again. Failed to account for mechnical and rain delays, too. Live & learn.

One weird thing that did happen - the aches and pains worried me a lot after the initial 675 miles of superslab on Day 1. That first night, I almost bailed and went back because I was hurting all over: butt, elbows, wrists, back. Day 2 was less painful though, and by Day 4 I had fully adjusted and figured out the stopping/stretching/Advil/changing-positions regimen. Days 4 through 12 were almost painless. I guess the body just adjusts, I dunno; very unexpected to actually feel better as the trip wore on.

The last few days though presented a problem I could not work around though: ear pain from the foam earplugs. As comfy as they normally are, 10 hours a day got to be unbearable by the end and I finally just rode without them (and thus, without music from the Sena helmet speakers). Not sure what to do about that.

One other random note: if you are fairly short in stature like me (5'7" 30" inseam), the frame sliders make excellent forward footrests. Almost turns the niner into a cruiser.

I'll put some pics on here shortly.

Alan

post #20 of 24 Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Start saving up those vacation days because once you start touring by motorcycle, it's hard to stop.
No doubt. I also had tons of people following on facebook and reading my daily updates, and several have already said they are inspired to do the same. We'll see... it's one thing to talk about it

post #21 of 24 Old 07-17-2017, 04:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Yeah just a lesson learned really. The chain was mechanically fine, it was just too loose and couldn't be adjusted any tighter without removing a link. That's on me; failed to notice the maxed-out adjusters before I left. If I could do it again, I'd have just put my 17T front sprocket back on there which would remove chain slack and reduce vibes at cruising speed (and fixes the speedo).

The bags were OK for $99 from Cycle Gear. They're just really small, not waterproof, and deform pretty significantly after many hours of windblast. Much better than nothing though.

Overall - if you are like me and prioritize the riding over the stops, over the meals, over the comraderie... then a trip like this is great. I covered a ton of ground, rode through a bunch of very different environments and saw all kinds of cool sights. It was a really taxing schedule though. I was totally beat every day getting off the bike, and there was no downtime or relaxing built in at any point. I'd be much less aggressive in the scheduling if I did it again. Failed to account for mechnical and rain delays, too. Live & learn.

One weird thing that did happen - the aches and pains worried me a lot after the initial 675 miles of superslab on Day 1. That first night, I almost bailed and went back because I was hurting all over: butt, elbows, wrists, back. Day 2 was less painful though, and by Day 4 I had fully adjusted and figured out the stopping/stretching/Advil/changing-positions regimen. Days 4 through 12 were almost painless. I guess the body just adjusts, I dunno; very unexpected to actually feel better as the trip wore on.

The last few days though presented a problem I could not work around though: ear pain from the foam earplugs. As comfy as they normally are, 10 hours a day got to be unbearable by the end and I finally just rode without them (and thus, without music from the Sena helmet speakers). Not sure what to do about that.

One other random note: if you are fairly short in stature like me (5'7" 30" inseam), the frame sliders make excellent forward footrests. Almost turns the niner into a cruiser.

I'll put some pics on here shortly.

Alan
I don't want to be the "I told you so", but I think I mentioned that you should be more concerned with the fun/relax part than how far you go. It's hard to know just how far to push things until you get there... like you said, no way to know you'd get rain or other problems.

I cut my helmets and inserted in head phone speakers, ran the wires down to a tank bag that has my older iPod with a remote on the outside of the bag with an inline amp. It works well, but you have to remember the wires

The problem with the hard bags is they are pretty costly. I've been thinking about making some from scratch as I've done some fiberglass work before, but making the molds is a job for a single set.

post #22 of 24 Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
In case anyone is interested, I've posted a route map, pictures, and daily logs at http://skinnerworld.com.

post #23 of 24 Old 07-21-2017, 07:38 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
In case anyone is interested, I've posted a route map, pictures, and daily logs at http://skinnerworld.com.
WOW! That looks like an amazing trip!

Great pics, looks like you timed everything about as good as it can be done done. I hope it wasn't too rushed, only minor setbacks.

post #24 of 24 Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Milites Gregarius

This is absolutely amazing. Fantastic stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode