Honda V45 Magna Clutch Push Rod Seal Replacement - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 12-11-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Honda V45 Magna Clutch Push Rod Seal Replacement

1983 Honda V45 Magna Clutch Push Rod Seal Replacement--Anyone familiar with this fiasco?

Honda!

I'll take pointers on removing the swingarm also. Wheel is off, side swingarm bolts are out (fat ones that go in the bearings), only thing holdinhg it in is the driveshaft (I assume) now what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Complete service manual: bass·end·ackwards V45 Online Owner's Manual

It's comparatively simple: Left side engine cover off, remove the three 6mm bolts holding the slave cylinder, pull that away and you can see the seal. It's easier to get out if you pull out the pushrod first. It is probable the slave cylinder piston will come out of its bore, so be ready to catch the fluid.

The final drive case / driveshaft comes out by removing the rear wheel and left shock, then unbolting the drive case from the swingarm and pulling it out. Sometimes the driveshaft comes with it, sometimes not, but either way it's not bolted to anything, just held by retaining rings, but mainly held closely between the engine and drive case.

The swingarm is easy as well -- there is a short pivot bolt on each side. Once they are out the arm will pull right out.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

The seal I am refering to is the one that keep the oil inside the engine, not the one that keeps the fluid in the clutch system. The entire cross shaft business has to come off as well as the water pump (I had just changed the antifreeze too). Then you need to take off the gear case cover & replace the seal from the inside of the cover. I have heard the some manuals say this procedure can not be done without dropping the engine also, some say it is possible. Here is a link I found:

Clutch_Push-rod_Seal..alternative - SabMagFAQ

I am replacing #26.

I managed to get the driveshaft & swingarm off. My problem was tring to remove the final drive differential & swingarm together--it should come off as a unit but it would'nt just due to the driveshaft binding I guess, there was no mechanical connection.

Thanks for the manual, it will be invaluable going forward.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Tesserarius

You should check out this forum, Its all about the old V4 Hondas.

Honda Sabre, Magna, Interceptor BBS - Index

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Imaginifer

Check this out

ClutchPushrodSeal - SabMagFAQ

Paul

Live to ride, but ride to ride another day!
post #6 of 12 Old 12-18-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Progress....

So to change this

You have to remove all of this

Making this mess

Then clean up all this

All because of this little lip

Is this the "Honda premium" everyone talks about?

All bitching aside these are pretty neat bikes; nearly 30 years old & V four, downdraft straight intake carbs, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, 6 speed, liquid cooled, hydraulic clutch, shaft drive, resevoir shocks, anti dive front fork, optical fiber anti theft device, & slipper clutch (on the 83 on anyway)! Short of the huge & spendy Vmax this does not even exist today. Just a total PITA to work on--this debacle, the carbs, even the battery.

post #7 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Dragon Slayer

I had one with the same problem. Decided fixing it was too much bother and sold it as is.

Cool bikes for the day.

post #8 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

had the exact same bike,even same color. i know the interceptors had a slipper, but i don't think the magna did.

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #9 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
I had one with the same problem. Decided fixing it was too much bother and sold it as is.

Cool bikes for the day.
Got it put back together & running. No leaks (yet) which is good becuase if it did I would of come to that same conclusion also. The 82 has different cover gasket thicknesses but all those have been superceeded to only one thickness still available from Honda so I used that. Mine was .38 mm & the only available replacement was .5mm. Better work. Also replaced the other seals & orings you ruin the seal on getting in there ($50 worth!!!!). Got some shit in the rear bearing holder (on yellow counter in the middle with the gear on top)--hope I got it all flushed out. Will find out in spring I guess. If not I'll pawn it as my patience with this machine has run out. I only now read that the carb slide return springs are front/rear specific. Great. Not taking those bastards (& the radiator & air box) out again. Besides, based on what I saw during the rebuild the chances the previous yahooo that "rebuilt" them had them in the right spot to start with is next to none. I'm just working on it for family.

Quote:
had the exact same bike,even same color. i know the interceptors had a slipper, but i don't think the magna did.
The service manual says starting in 83 they did...

post #10 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post

Cool bikes for the day.
& I forgot, you are not alone. I heard of another guy who had one with this problem---took it to the dealer because it was too difficult for him & the dealer quoted him 2 days of labor to do the job at a cost of around $2000 which in effect totaled the bike. He also just sold it off.

This was no slow leak, left a spot about the size of a small pizza in minutes. I hope I am done with it & doen right.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Got it put back together & running. No leaks (yet) which is good becuase if it did I would of come to that same conclusion also. The 82 has different cover gasket thicknesses but all those have been superceeded to only one thickness still available from Honda so I used that. Mine was .38 mm & the only available replacement was .5mm. Better work. Also replaced the other seals & orings you ruin the seal on getting in there ($50 worth!!!!). Got some shit in the rear bearing holder (on yellow counter in the middle with the gear on top)--hope I got it all flushed out. Will find out in spring I guess. If not I'll pawn it as my patience with this machine has run out. I only now read that the carb slide return springs are front/rear specific. Great. Not taking those bastards (& the radiator & air box) out again. Besides, based on what I saw during the rebuild the chances the previous yahooo that "rebuilt" them had them in the right spot to start with is next to none. I'm just working on it for family.

The service manual says starting in 83 they did...

bryce,
learn something new today.i had an 83 magna and it sure didn't seem like it had a slipper.the 85 interceptor was a different story though.

thanks

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #12 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Dragon Slayer

Glad you got it back together, you'll have to give us an update when spring comes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode