Honda 919 homemade frame sliders - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By supersix
  • 1 Post By Nealio919

post #1 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Honda 919 homemade frame sliders

I thought I would like to have some sliders for my newly-acquired 919 so I started searching the internet. After reading some horror stories of broken engine casings from the engine-mount sliders, I decided to find some that mounted to the frame. The only ones I found were the Motovation brand and they were $139.50 (ouch!) plus they were out-of-stock. I had some scrap 1" aluminum round bar stock, so I decided to make my own. I have less than $3 invested in the hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sliders_139-horz.jpg (181.9 KB, 38 views)
Islandboy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Tirone

Garage
Amazing what a bit of DIY spirit can do for you!

ATGATT || Proud second-hand owner of a well-loved Honda 919
post #3 of 13 Old 10-13-2017, 06:06 PM
919 Rider

They look great all polished up.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-14-2017, 05:10 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Tell us more. I'm guess they would hold up about as well as the others, but I'd be concerned about them snapping off. The all thread wouldn't be as strong as the special bolt.

post #5 of 13 Old 10-14-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Tell us more. I'm guess they would hold up about as well as the others, but I'd be concerned about them snapping off. The all thread wouldn't be as strong as the special bolt.
I'm not sure which would be better. The hardened bolt would be more prone to possibly snapping-off I would think. The softer all-thread would tend to bend, but I'm no metallurgist.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-15-2017, 01:24 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix View Post
I'm not sure which would be better. The hardened bolt would be more prone to possibly snapping-off I would think. The softer all-thread would tend to bend, but I'm no metallurgist.
I was thinking about the thickness. The other one is a "shouldered" bolt, if you look at the actual amount of metal, the shouldered bolt would be a lot thicker. This is one of the problems I have when I replace an automotive bolt with a universal one.

I have a thru bolt on another bike for the crash bars and it's very thick compared to an all thread. Don't know if it matters or not, I guess if you hit hard enough, the engine's a goner anyways. It's more for the light accidents.

I went down pretty hard on the other bike and the bars actually bent into the engine, it hit hard enough to make the alt rub when I fired it up.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-15-2017, 01:33 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix View Post
Point blank, never use beyond North American SAE Grade 5 or metric ISO Class 8.8 fastening for frame sliders.
Some ductility is desired, and the higher grades are poor in that respect.
My guess is that the Ready Rod could be in SAE Grade 2 or 5.
I'd stay away from 2.

post #8 of 13 Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 AM
just send it.

Garage
Just playing devils advocate, but is there a reason why most/all reputable frame sliders are made out of delrin? My concern would be that in a crash, the force would be transferred 100% to the frame instead of being absorbed by the derlin puck. Since all that force is now concentrated to a single point, are you more likely to cause more damage than good?

I don't want to piss all over your hard work (it looks great by the way), but I would hate for the aluminum sliders to cause more problems down the road.

[This space for rent]
post #9 of 13 Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Just playing devils advocate, but is there a reason why most/all reputable frame sliders are made out of delrin? My concern would be that in a crash, the force would be transferred 100% to the frame instead of being absorbed by the derlin puck. Since all that force is now concentrated to a single point, are you more likely to cause more damage than good?

I don't want to piss all over your hard work (it looks great by the way), but I would hate for the aluminum sliders to cause more problems down the road.
Delrin has a lower coefficient of friction, and is fare easier to machine compared to softer nylon, and aluminum will actually grab the pavement and bend or be ground off in a matter of feet. Delrin is not made for impact resistance, but as a slider puck that will wear off slower in the event of a low-side or small slow crash. The problem with the longer sliders is they have a tenancy to fold over and "lever" out the mounting bolt, thus stripping all the treads out of the mounting hole. Just another reason to use a solid piece through bolt and share the load with the other bracket.
Islandboy likes this.

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #10 of 13 Old 10-16-2017, 08:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't remember how long my bike slid, but the bars are mild steel and they REALLY did their job. It's the 700S and the bolt up to the frame and the engine at 3 different points, one is a cross bolt.

The mild steel really took a beating.

I don't know at what point it won't matter any more, the engine is just one part of the bike. We have a bike salvage yard here and it's full of bike that have knock-off-plastic from being totaled out. What good is saving the engine if the bike is a complete write off? IDK, how much an engine is worth in a totaled bike.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Tesserarius

This is a rear axle slider from a 990 Super Duke, that I recently bought. If anyone thinks they can fabricate engine sliders from it, I will sell what you see for $60, delivered. USA, only. PM to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1851.jpg (156.9 KB, 10 views)

post #12 of 13 Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 PM
mac daddy

Thanks for this supersix. Can you post a pic or 2 of them mounted on the bike...would love to see the final product?!

post #13 of 13 Old 10-23-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Thanks for this supersix. Can you post a pic or 2 of them mounted on the bike...would love to see the final product?!
I sure can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wt2.JPG (159.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg wt1.JPG (137.9 KB, 14 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode