high speed wheelie? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 97 Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

high speed wheelie?

A co-worker of mine got passed on the hihgway by a 9er. She was doing 110 kmph and the guy just lifted up right next to her. She was suprised the 9er could do that at that speed. She rides a busa so she does understand bikes.... To be honest, I didn't know a 9er could do this either.

A similar point, for the first time, today, my wife watched me do a wheelie...I thought she would loose her mind but she just laughed a little... She made a comment about my life insurance....

Arte et Marte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Pull in the clutch get the revs up and give it a little bounce as you dump the clutch and you can get almost anything to come up.

post #3 of 97 Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Does this guy have stock gearing??? What's the highest gear you can do a wheelie with stock sprockets?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFSRzi026n0

Arte et Marte

post #4 of 97 Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i know that with even clutching it up at and literally abusing the clutch with revs, while sitting down in second you will have to try REAL REAL hard to get it up.

BUT, stand up, and you can pretty much power wheelie second without probs. as ull notice in that vid, he doesnt pop it up while sitting down... the 919 doesnt have the power for that at speed... but standing up ... no probs.

Personally ill usually power wheelie in 1st at like 10mph and if i have a long straight click second, click third then slowly set it down at ~ 90mph haha.

(all stock gearing btw.... u wanna turn it into a wheelie monster drop one in the front... i did for awhile and man it made it fun... but i couldnt keep it as smooth as i wanted in the corners)

post #5 of 97 Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
i know that with even clutching it up at and literally abusing the clutch with revs, while sitting down in second you will have to try REAL REAL hard to get it up.

BUT, stand up, and you can pretty much power wheelie second without probs. as ull notice in that vid, he doesnt pop it up while sitting down... the 919 doesnt have the power for that at speed... but standing up ... no probs.

Personally ill usually power wheelie in 1st at like 10mph and if i have a long straight click second, click third then slowly set it down at ~ 90mph haha.

(all stock gearing btw.... u wanna turn it into a wheelie monster drop one in the front... i did for awhile and man it made it fun... but i couldnt keep it as smooth as i wanted in the corners)
My 900 would power wheelie in second, with stock gearing, sat down easily...although third you had to catch it right either by pulling it up or slipping the clutch.

If you want it to really power wheelie fit a turbo
Mine will wheelie in fourth gear sitting down at 120mph without slipping the clutch or pulling on the bars with standard gearing

hornet turbo wheelie - YouTube

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #6 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Carp Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyeee View Post
My 900 would power wheelie in second, with stock gearing, sat down easily...although third you had to catch it right either by pulling it up or slipping the clutch.

If you want it to really power wheelie fit a turbo
Mine will wheelie in fourth gear sitting down at 120mph without slipping the clutch or pulling on the bars with standard gearing

hornet turbo wheelie - YouTube
JESUS CHRIST THAT SOUNDS MEAN!! Awesome!

But how many millions for a turbo? I thought I saw a 919 kit for like $3000 or something crazy

Keep The Rubber Side Down
post #7 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Imaginifer

Mine is a home made kit....i stopped counting a long while ago!
I wanted the kit from Wave but i couldnt have that set up with the cbr600rr swingarm i have installed.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #8 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Pull in the clutch get the revs up and give it a little bounce as you dump the clutch and you can get almost anything to come up.
It's how all these pud monkeys do it on the freeways of LA.

"Slipping the clutch" is as old as me.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #9 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

It's one thing to slip the clutch and pull the front end up, its another do it at 80mph. I've never tried with the 919 but I'm assuming its not the easiest thing to do.

My old F4i, if you put it into 2nd gear, took the RPMs up to around 10000, cut the throttle shut and wacked it open, it would pull up around 65ish

919 is a under powered pig and the closer you get to 100 the more sluggish the bike feels.

My guess is that other rider had the bike geared to do wheelies.
post #10 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

With as much torque it has I am sure you can do it no problem by dumping the clutch in the right gear. I'll let others be dumb ass squids and try it out on the freeway and then I'll laugh when they get pulled over.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #11 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 AM
just send it.

Garage
Did she hear a turbo spool? There are a few people who have turbo-ed their 919...

[This space for rent]
post #12 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Brain stolen again?

A 104 HP bike is "an underpowered pig"

These words can only come out of the mouth of the young.

Thread-jack? Who cares............

This just happened on a road I frequent and that is known by Southern California riders everywhere:

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/sep/...-33-downs-six/

It's a reminder to respect our H.P. This youngster took out a cat my age because he had more balls and HP than brains and talent.

Mathew Quigley
post #13 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 AM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa View Post

This just happened on a road I frequent and that is known by Southern California riders everywhere:

Simi Valley and Lancaster riders killed in Highway 33 motorcycle crash Ventura County Star

It's a reminder to respect our H.P. This youngster took out a cat my age because he had more balls and HP than brains and talent.
427bs (dry) and 103hp?

My other bike 375 dry weight with 192ish hp from the factory.

I love my 919. I love it for what it is. A great all around bike. Powerful and lightweight it is not. Once it gets near 100mph the bike really runs out of steam. On my other bike 100mph means 2nd gear is just about to start.
post #14 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

No way I can get my front end up in 2nd. Sitting down anyway. I don't even feel comfortable enough doing my little wheelies in first gear; sometimes I tend to jerk the bars to the left and it makes for a little heart thumper when setting her down. Gotta figure out why I do that and correct it.

Next time you guys head up to Pikes Peak I want someone to try this at 5000 feet. See what kind of power loss you experience because there is no way in heck my bike would lift anything in 2nd or above without some serious work, and I doubt it would keep it there.

6 other 9'ers in town also ride, and I've never seen a single one of them pull a wheelie to 'ride' it. Just a little blip of the front end and back down again. Most I ever got was maybe 24".

You guys in Cali must have it easy. Really gotta head down there one day to see how much more power my bike would have.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #15 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
No way I can get my front end up in 2nd. Sitting down anyway. I don't even feel comfortable enough doing my little wheelies in first gear; sometimes I tend to jerk the bars to the left and it makes for a little heart thumper when setting her down. Gotta figure out why I do that and correct it.

Next time you guys head up to Pikes Peak I want someone to try this at 5000 feet. See what kind of power loss you experience because there is no way in heck my bike would lift anything in 2nd or above without some serious work, and I doubt it would keep it there.

6 other 9'ers in town also ride, and I've never seen a single one of them pull a wheelie to 'ride' it. Just a little blip of the front end and back down again. Most I ever got was maybe 24".

You guys in Cali must have it easy. Really gotta head down there one day to see how much more power my bike would have.

haha ya down round sealevel everything gets a free performance boost.... but you can be up at 8k feet 50-60mi away from the ocean as the crow flies.... up at those heights.... even first gear wheelies are almost impossible.

post #16 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
427bs (dry) and 103hp?

My other bike 375 dry weight with 192ish hp from the factory.

I love my 919. I love it for what it is. A great all around bike. Powerful and lightweight it is not. Once it gets near 100mph the bike really runs out of steam. On my other bike 100mph means 2nd gear is just about to start.

It has the power to weight ratio that is in fact quite high. And that figure of 103 HP AT THE REAR WHEEL only makes my point that much more pertinent.

That you (or I for that matter) ride more powerful bikes regularly is of no concern. The castigation for the bike being a "fat pig" with low power just smells like a fucked up casserol. You're a cook and I'm sure you've messed up a few on your way to glory.

PS.....There is no doubt in my mind that the Hornet could be pulled up at 80 indicated. No doubt.

Mathew Quigley
post #17 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
It has the power to weight ratio that is in fact quite high. And that figure of 103 HP AT THE REAR WHEEL only makes my point that much more pertinent.

That you (or I for that matter) ride more powerful bikes regularly is of no concern. The castigation for the bike being a "fat pig" with low power just smells like a fucked up casserol. You're a cook and I'm sure you've messed up a few on your way to glory.

PS.....There is no doubt in my mind that the Hornet could be pulled up at 80 indicated. No doubt.
Don't get me wrong its not a slow bike, but when you look at other bikes in its class as with other bikes currently on the market, for a 900cc + size bike it's one of the slowest lowest powered bikes on the market.
post #18 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Di"zx"en

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
It's how all these pud monkeys do it on the freeways of LA.

"Slipping the clutch" is as old as me.

OK Gramps..Thats enough now..It'll be time to go back to the home shortly...Bingo then a radio show before bedtime..

That'll work........
post #19 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Hey jeffie.....I need to seem some pics of that S1000RR. I want one but it scares me on paper!

post #20 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Do you really think so? I clearly don't know how to do power wheelies, but there must be a lot more going on (clutching, yanking, standing...) than just whacking the throttle. I've got on the throttle HARD in 3rd or 4th gear at speeds near those in the first post - 110kmh (68mph) - and there was no indication that the front wheel wanted to lift at all.
Not that I was 'trying' to wheelie, but I'm obviously doing something wrong...

post #21 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Aquilifer

On a cool morning, sitting down, whacking the shit out of the clutch in 2nd gear I can get it up a few inches.

Maybe you guys who stand up and wheely can get it up in 3rd with perfect technique; it seems like you're fighting lack of power, extra weight, and the wind when you're going that fast.
( i.e., a 600 with similar peak horsepower, weighs less and has better aero's might give it the edge in getting up at 80mph. )

post #22 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Hey jeffie.....I need to seem some pics of that S1000RR. I want one but it scares me on paper!
BMW 1000R is 201 I believe. about 10 more then the Japanese liter bikes. At least of 2007-2011 Wondering how the next batch of Japanese liter bikes will turn out.

I do love my 919. I don't expect anymore from it then what it can offer. I also doubt it can do a wheelie at 80mph at least without doing a full throttle clutch dump, even then it might not be pretty. The idea of easily pulling it up and riding it out at 80 is..... doesnt seem right.

For a liter bike, all you do is roll on the throttle in first gear.

R77withlowvolume.wmv - YouTube

That's first gear rolling on the throttle from about 1/2 to 3/4th throttle, shifting about 4000 rpm short of redline. 2nd gear does the same, as with 3rd when under full throttle.
post #23 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

S1000RR is 193 at the crank so about 178 at the wheel. 400 dry and 458 wet.

post #24 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Optio

110k is under 70 mph. And the 919 can do it. Just takes a good bit of effort. Mine would do a power wheelie in 2nd IF I was low on fuel and pulled on the bars hard while jerking the throttle open. I tried once to clutch up 3rd but failed miserably. I'm sure I wasn't going fast enough for 3rd gear anyway.
I also was -1 in the front sproket. That makes a big difference.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #25 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Aquilifer

Sportbiles also have shorter wheelbases which make wheelies more prevalent.
Quite a bit of design in the chasis / swingarms to try to mitigate that.

post #26 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Aquilifer

Yeah, if you're changing the rules to include non-stock 919's, then of course it's possible.

Gear it down (added benefit of shortening wheelbase), throw on mag wheels, throw on a pipe + PC to get an additional 5hp... all those help.

post #27 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
Yeah, if you're changing the rules to include non-stock 919's, then of course it's possible.

Gear it down (added benefit of shortening wheelbase), throw on mag wheels, throw on a pipe + PC to get an additional 5hp... all those help.
+1 different gearing should get the 919 up in 2nd gear rather easy.

I find it much easier to wheelie the 919 in 1st gear then any other bike I've ever ridden, helps that you're sitting over the front wheel like sport bikes. Liter bikes are also not as forgiving they like to throw you up fast or spin the rear wheel. Although the roll on power wheelies are nice and smooth.

I thought the BMWs were listed at 201 crank hp?

Japanese litter bikes hitting in the 165WHP range and the BMW doing 170-180WHP range.

post #28 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:

Ok, now don't be posting stuff like that, you're gonna put Bidaa in the old folks home sooner than is needed...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #29 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

=(

You're right. I'd post up some 600RR dynos but that would seal the deal.

So answer to OPs question. chances are the bike was not stock.
post #30 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Le So Cal Troll

like stated, i believe the 919 can do it... i have done it, u can get the front end up rather easy if you clutch properly and are standing up and give a good yank on the bars in second... once up, its a balancing game that requires no real power... the guy in the vid is likely getting it up in 2nd then clicking 3rd / maybe 4th to be easier to balance... quite simple really.

post #31 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Aquilifer

110kp/h * 0.62 = 68mph -- what RPM is that in 2nd?

post #32 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Cornicen

My 9er doesn't have much of a problem pulling the front end up in 2nd from 45-60 using the clutch. Pulling it up around 45 I can stand it up but when I try to pull it up at 60 it basically does a mild wheelie and will not stand it up. I'm sure I could rape the clutch and stand it up at 60 but my balls and pocket book are not that big.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #33 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Cornicen

68 mph would have to be close to 7500 I believe but I'm just ball parking it. There is a spreadsheet we could use if someone has it to find out exactly what that equals out to be.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #34 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

all I know is next time I'm out I'm sooooo going to test this out.
post #35 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Be careful!

post #36 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Don't be a squid.

post #37 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 07:03 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I'm not to worried about it lol. The 919 is a very forgiving bike when it comes to handling it's raw power.
post #38 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Don't be a squid.
Time and place for everything.

post #39 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Chief 10 Beers

Quote:

Hope you don't end up on an embarrassing YouTube video!

There are bold motorcyclists and old motorcyclists, but (OK) there are few old bold motorcyclists
post #40 of 97 Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrady View Post
Hope you don't end up on an embarrassing YouTube video!
Hey! That's an idea! Get someone to video you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode