Help me pick my next bike - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By voodooridr
  • 1 Post By crakerjac

post #1 of 29 Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Help me pick my next bike

My 2012 Super Tenere is currently in the shop due to engine troubles which leaves me sitting here bikeless and stir crazy. I think it's either a malfunctioning cam chain tensioner or a spun lower rod bearing based on what I was able to find on the S10 forum. Official diagnosis and fix is TBD from the dealer, but I'm losing a bit of confidence in my current bike and thinking about the next move.

Do I:

1. Fix the engine and keep my fully set up S10 with accessories, luggage, protection, suspension, lighting, and comfort mods which is still under warranty until 2018 and has only 23K miles? Some other things that have been nagging me on this bike are handlebar vibes, early rear brake pad wear, and some oil consumption.

Or do I or trade in and:

2. Get a newer Tenere ES and move the majority of my accessories over? Many of the issues on the 1st gen S10 were addressed in the 2nd gen S10.

3. Go the sport touring route and get a new FJR? The bike feels like a comfy rocket ship and great long distance road tourer. Roll on the throttle on this bike and it feels like it wants to sprout wings and fly. I feel like I would be more comfortable on one of these for a long distance road trip.

4. Go right for an XSR 900 which felt light, nimble, responsive, and is addictively quick? I was originally planning on getting one of these next year, but only as a 2nd bike since the tank is a bit small and this would be a bike for hooning around locally.

5. Go for a BMW R9T which is a bike I've been drooling over for years? Lack of funds and garage space had previously kept me away. Test riding the XSR a couple of months back swayed me away because performance on the XSR made me think of a lighter 919. I got to briefly ride one of these a couple of years ago and I know the R9T can perform very well though.

I'm probably not going to have time to do any sort of trips or much riding with a baby on the way. Not ready to give up riding yet, but if I spend $$ to get a new bike now, it's going to be my only ride for a while.

So there you have it and I'm really not sure which way to go. The S10 has been such a versatile bike that does everything I want it to including cross country trips, work commutes, exploring dirt back roads, and touching pegs down with 50/50 knobbies on twisties. If I could only have one bike to do it all, it's a great choice, but I'm probably not going to need a bike to do it all.

Thoughts welcome.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Get an h2. I hear they're pretty comfy

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #3 of 29 Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I'd just get the new tenere if yamaha fixed all the previous problems. It would be easier to just transfer all your accessories to the new bike. You will save a lot of money.

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)

post #4 of 29 Old 07-26-2017, 05:38 AM
GLG-20

Garage
It depends on how confident you are regarding whether there will be any long distance and/or 2-up riding. If both are unlikely, I'd go for a hoon bike. Go ride that XSR again and maybe a few others and see which one makes you giggle. This is what the Tuono is for me; I don't even care that it only gets ~30MPG

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #5 of 29 Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM
just send it.

Garage
You have to fix the Super Tenere regardless right? Since you have a kiddo on the way, I would just fix the ST and keep it. After having kids you will be surprised how little free time you have to ride. It will kill you having a new bike in the garage that you can only look at as you hop in your slush box and drive the kiddo to day care.... ask me how I know...

If you have the itch for something different, buy a cheap bike to hoon around on (supermoto?)... because if you can only ride the bike when you are out buying diapers it's more fun having something you can flog the snot out.

[This space for rent]
post #6 of 29 Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
You have to fix the Super Tenere regardless right? Since you have a kiddo on the way, I would just fix the ST and keep it. After having kids you will be surprised how little free time you have to ride. It will kill you having a new bike in the garage that you can only look at as you hop in your slush box and drive the kiddo to day care.... ask me how I know...

If you have the itch for something different, buy a cheap bike to hoon around on (supermoto?)... because if you can only ride the bike when you are out buying diapers it's more fun having something you can flog the snot out.
Could not agree more. The only time i have to ride anymore is to and from the office; after I drop the kids off at day care and go home to drop off the truck. I cannot remember the last time I went on a ride longer than a jaunt into the city for a doctor appointment. Same with my golf clubs. Have not picked those up since the family vacation in July of 2016. Fix the ST and keep that instead of drooling over something that will get little use.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 29 Old 07-26-2017, 04:55 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

If you're definitely going to buy a new bike either way, I vote for a new S10, you have the accessories for it already. Leave the FJR for the next addition.

post #8 of 29 Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Unexpected and weird update. I got a call from the dealership today saying the noise was gone after they had cleared out the old oil and filter. Oh and the battery is completely dead and won't hold a charge after they kept restarting the bike. I called bullshit and went down to the dealer to check it out myself.

This video of another Tenere owner with a spun lower rod bearing is pretty much how my bike sounded when I brought it in.

I got to the dealer, plugged in my Li starter pack to get the bike fired up and it actually sounded OK even with the revs up. They said after they drained the oil twice, they couldn't find any metal in the oil at all. The techs confirmed that they were hearing the clacking too, but I'm seriously stumped as to why an oil change would resolve it.

I pick up the bike tomorrow after a new battery is installed. I'm still wary of the engine grenading, but warranty is good until mid 2018. I'll ride it tomorrow and see how it feels.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #9 of 29 Old 07-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Tesserarius

boo..
get the r9t scrambler and post lots of pictures of it.

post #10 of 29 Old 07-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Aquilifer

14+ Tenere will be my next bike................

post #11 of 29 Old 07-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Africa Twin

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Nealio919 likes this.

Dan
post #12 of 29 Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 PM
just send it.

Garage
These guys have it ALL wrong... what you REALLY want is a KTM 1290 Superduke!
badmoon692008 likes this.

[This space for rent]
post #13 of 29 Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

I picked up the bike today and rode it all the way home mixing street and highway. The bike feels and sounds ok. I really have no idea how an oil change could fix an engine knocking.

When the techs drained the oil the first time, they said it looked like there was water in the oil. I don't know how that got in there and I wasn't able to see for myself. They ended up charging me for 2 oil changes, a diagnostic fee, and a replacement battery so I'm out $545. Fuck thats expensive for 2.5 weeks of waiting, 2 oil changed, and a battery which was working fine before I dropped it off.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #14 of 29 Old 07-27-2017, 07:24 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

I hope you paid with a card.... I'd call and contest the bill....

post #15 of 29 Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 AM
just send it.

Garage
So much for that warranty...

[This space for rent]
post #16 of 29 Old 07-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Centurion

Garage
Not very relavant to what was said here but why not a Triumph Street Triple R:

Might be my next bike :P until Honda comes out with a proper *modern* replacement for the 9er

post #17 of 29 Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 AM
Tesserarius

Forget Honda. They quit making decent motorcycles years ago. Move on.

Did that version of the Street Triple come from the factory with Arrow Mufflers? Or did l miss him saying how much they cost?

A freind of mine had one of those. They're great bikes. Very comfortable. Plenty torque. Great build quality. Like all European bikes, initial investment is a bit higher, but very few mods are needed.

post #18 of 29 Old 07-30-2017, 01:19 AM
Centurion

Garage
No they came as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Forget Honda. They quit making decent motorcycles years ago. Move on.

Did that version of the Street Triple come from the factory with Arrow Mufflers? Or did l miss him saying how much they cost?

A freind of mine had one of those. They're great bikes. Very comfortable. Plenty torque. Great build quality. Like all European bikes, initial investment is a bit higher, but very few mods are needed.

post #19 of 29 Old 07-30-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

The bike is working so I'm going to keep it. Feedback on the YST forum is that it's probably the cam chain tensioner which is a known part to fail on the 1st gen bike. Someone also said a head gasket leak could lead to water in the oil which emulsifies and blocks oil passage to the CCT. I asked the dealership about the CCT while they had the bike, but they never checked it after the oil changes. I guess extended warranty is useless if the dealer doesn't put in the time to actually investigate the issue. Thanks for nothing mountain Motorsports of Roswell ga.

So instead of giving the dealer my money for the next service, I'm going to just replace the CCT myself and while I have the bike apart, do the head gasket, valve check/adjustment, and spark plugs even though it's not due for 2k miles. I've never done a valve check before, but better now than never.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #20 of 29 Old 07-30-2017, 08:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

WOW, WTF!

So let me get this straight, you paid $550 for 2 oil changes, diag, and battery on a bike that's under warranty? I don't know what's covered by your warranty, but you should check into it. You could have bought a gasket kit and tore that engine down yourself for less.

If the oil changes cleared out the problem (or the sound of the problem) you probably have a bad bearing(s). If you had water in the oil, the oil flush might have done it.

I can promise you that an oil change will not fix this. I tore down an engine that had a flatten bearing that was causing a knock. I bought the bike like that.

What they did (if this is covered by warranty) shouldn't be legal and you need to dig into this. In CA we have the BAR (bureau of automotive repair) I imagine that you'd have something like that there. You might have to go to court.

What you can do, is go elsewhere, get the repair done, have them document everything in great detail (including video) then go back and make a claim.

This is complete BS, you should be pissed.

post #21 of 29 Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

Small but positive update. I'm starting to pull the bike apart and ran a compression test. 90psi and 89psi. Standard is 96, but the compression is within spec from 84 - 108. Once the rest of the parts come in for replacing the CCT, I'll get the valve cover off and do a leak down test to make absolutely sure the valves are not damaged. I don't think timing is off since the bike was able to start up OK and seemed to accelerate fine on the trip back from the dealer.

Spark plugs came out and were replaced. I noticed a small green tint on 2 of the spark plugs which sounds like oxidation and a tiny bit of blackish/grey powder that i'm not 100% sure is carbon fouling, but the outgoing plugs looked to be mostly OK otherwise. In addition to the parts for the CCT and valve check, I have a new air filter, some Seafoam, and Yamalube Ring Free on the way. Once I get the bike back together and running, I'll put in that stuff to clean out any residual carbon / buildup in the combustion and flush out any gunk that might be left over in the oil passages.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #22 of 29 Old 08-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Tirone

Is the bike water cooled ? If it is and you had head gasket problems coolant from radiator can get into the motor oil. Also motor oil will be apparent inside of radiator. Symptoms are motor running very hot.

post #23 of 29 Old 08-05-2017, 03:07 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

One thing you can do is put vac pressure on the cooling system. A rubber plug and a mittyVac should be able to pull a vac on the cooling system. Something around 15, then let it set for a few hours. If there's a connection between the oil and the cooling system, it should find it.

post #24 of 29 Old 08-05-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

More good news. I had the bike a bit more apart today and ran a leak down test into both cylinders at TDC. 94% on cylinder 1 and 97% on cylinder 2. No air leakage heard from the exhaust or intake ports so valves are confirmed good. No bubbles in the coolant with the radiator cap off so head gasket is good. I heard air escaping from the crank case so it's getting a bit past the rings, but it doesn't look to be a significant amount.

While I had the crank case cover and the valve cover off, I didn't see any metal or oil/water mix anywhere. The coolant level is still good and has stayed right in between the H/L mark so I don't think it's a coolant leak. Water in the oil is what the dealership techs claimed, but I have not actually seen the oil they dumped or anywhere currently inside the engine so they could be talking nonsense for all I know.

The valve adjustment job is a bit time consuming, but not as bad as I thought it would be. All 4 of the exhaust valves are tight so I have new shims on the way and I'll be setting them closer to the loose side so hopefully no adjustment will be needed next time around.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #25 of 29 Old 08-05-2017, 09:45 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

How hard is it to remove the oil pan? I had an engine that had a flattened out rod bearing. If you can pull the oil pan, you can rotate the engine so that you can move the rods and see if they move too much. You can also see if there is metal in the pan. Pulling the caps shouldn't be too hard and you can check the condition of the bearings.

post #26 of 29 Old 08-13-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

The bike is back together and running much better now. Overall quieter on startup, a bit more pull, and less vibrations felt in the grips. Valves adjusted, new spark plugs, new air filter, and new CCT. Took it out for a 150 mile ride yesterday with Yamaha ring free in the fuel and seafoam in the oil. Changed out the oil again and it came out slightly dark, but no metal observed anywhere, so the oil pan stayed on. I think it came down to the CCT which is a known part to fail. Guess I'm keeping this bike.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #27 of 29 Old 08-13-2017, 03:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I wonder if the CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) would have been making up for enough slack to cause all the problems. I had one take a dive because the cam wasn't timed right... it ran for a while then took a dive.

Is the noise gone?

If the noise is still there, you can use a long screwdriver held to the base of the ear to locate the source of the noise.

post #28 of 29 Old 08-13-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase

The CCT is known to go bad on my first gen Tenere. Other riders usually report it makes increased clacking noise over time before failure. Mine was a sudden loud clacking and I got lucky that the cams didn't jump. The noise is completely gone now.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

post #29 of 29 Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Africa Twin

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
This IS my next bike!!!!

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode