Heated gloves rock! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Steve

Heated gloves rock!

Picked up a pair of Tourmaster Synergy heated gloves on ebay the other day for $120. Wore them for the ride in to work this morning. Man, what a difference! If you ride year around like me this is one of the best gear upgrades you can make IMHO. No more frozen fingers!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h_sygt.jpg (15.4 KB, 17 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Princeps Prior

Indeed. I got the leather version. It's pretty nice. You get the heated jacket too? Thats is freaking awesome too!

post #3 of 25 Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Steve

Not yet but it's next on my list! Gotta replenish my gear fund first. Had to spring for new tires the other day too. Spent $250 on new pilot powers, wife's gonna kill me if I don't slow down on the spending!

post #4 of 25 Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Ginger-prick

I'm geared pretty good, but these are definitely on my "buy list"
After 90 minutes of riding with what I have now, all that's cold are my hands, and knees. so I'm thinking a pair of gloves like these, and some coveralls/pants that are wind resistant. All I wear on my legs now are military issue long undies and jeans.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Tirone

I have the leather version of those gloves also. With the jacket they are even better - since they plug right into the jacket sleeves so you don't have to mess with so many wires. I rode for years without heated gear and wish I hadn't waited so long. Here's a pic from a ride home from work that convinced me to finally get some:

Those are $180 Alpinestars gloves (that I LOVE) but my hands were FREEZING. With the heated gloves I can finally ride all day no matter what the temp.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Tirone

Just wondering how cold did it get on your ride into work? Your in Dallas texas

post #7 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
This morning in Dallas it was 42 degrees when I left the house at 8am.

I don't have heated gloves (yet), and my fingers were frozen after the first 15 minutes of my 45 minute commute.

Tomorrow morning looks like we will be sitting on ~38 degrees. I can't say I'm looking forward to the drive into school in the morning.

post #8 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Princeps Prior

Have the parts guy hook you up with a discounted price!

post #9 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
Have the parts guy hook you up with a discounted price!
Haha, I had already made plans to stop by the shop on my way home tonight.

I should have started dating a parts guy way sooner.

post #10 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Tirone

Huh and here i thought texas was warm state year round i guess im wrong.

post #11 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
I have the leather version of those gloves also. With the jacket they are even better - since they plug right into the jacket sleeves so you don't have to mess with so many wires. I rode for years without heated gear and wish I hadn't waited so long. Here's a pic from a ride home from work that convinced me to finally get some:

Those are $180 Alpinestars gloves (that I LOVE) but my hands were FREEZING. With the heated gloves I can finally ride all day no matter what the temp.
GREAT PIC. Once you cross over to the electric side, you never go back. Besides, it ain't about being tough - it's about being comfortable.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute919 View Post
Huh and here i thought texas was warm state year round i guess im wrong.
psst. The pic I posted was in Texas Rode to work in 14 degree temps in the Lubbock area several times.
post #13 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I was wondering If you electricalized folks would recommend a heated jacket over a heated vest. Ive been the tough guy for several years now, but it seems silly to continue like that if there are good workable solutions to the problem!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #14 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Princeps Prior

heated jacket.

why?

you have a heated colar
heated sleeves
plugs on the end of the sleeves for heated gloves if you ever want them

post #15 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 02:42 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I've never tried heated gear. The past couple weeks it's been 36-38 when I leave in the morning, with a couple mornings at 34 degrees. I usually wear a base layer, A-Star Drystar jacket, kevlar reinforced jeans, Sidi boots and A-Star Drystar gloves - my commute is 35-45 minutes and the only thing that gets cold is my fingertips after about 10 minutes on the freeway.
Are the entire gloves heated or just the fingers? I'd love to have warmer fingertips but I'm worried that a full electric glove would make my hands sweat.
My biggest gripe about riding in the cold is that my face shield is constantly fogging. I've tried 4-5 different anti-fog treatments over the years and none work worth a damn, they just seem to make it worse. I'd love to have a defrost setting on my helmet!

post #16 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
I just bought a pair of Gerbing's T5 heated gloves.
Damn this thread.

post #17 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Just installed my Gerbing's heated insoles, I'll hopefully try them out this weekend... The jacket liner kicks ass!

post #18 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow
I was wondering If you electricalized folks would recommend a heated jacket over a heated vest. Ive been the tough guy for several years now, but it seems silly to continue like that if there are good workable solutions to the problem!
I agree with boogunoogun, go with the full jacket. You never know when you might need it (for a long trip someday) - but my favorite feature is the convenience of plugging the gloves into the jacket sleeves. Then you run everything off the jacket controller which is just a lot easier (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I've never tried heated gear. The past couple weeks it's been 36-38 when I leave in the morning, with a couple mornings at 34 degrees. I usually wear a base layer, A-Star Drystar jacket, kevlar reinforced jeans, Sidi boots and A-Star Drystar gloves - my commute is 35-45 minutes and the only thing that gets cold is my fingertips after about 10 minutes on the freeway.
Are the entire gloves heated or just the fingers? I'd love to have warmer fingertips but I'm worried that a full electric glove would make my hands sweat.
My biggest gripe about riding in the cold is that my face shield is constantly fogging. I've tried 4-5 different anti-fog treatments over the years and none work worth a damn, they just seem to make it worse. I'd love to have a defrost setting on my helmet!
I'm good in 30-40 degrees for a 1/2 hour commute without heated gear - chilly, but not bad. For any greater length of time or cooler temps the heated gear is REALLY nice.

To answer your question though, most brands of heated gloves heat the back of the hand and fingers. The palm is not heated so you can still have a good feel for the controls and get the warmth from heated grips (if you have them). Women's gloves are sometimes fully heated (including the palm) with the idea that they will just be a passenger (so if they ride they need to research that or go with a mens glove).

Another great thing about heated gloves is they aren't as bulky as super insulated gloves. They're close, but not as bad since they don't need as much insulation.

Another option is battery powered gear. There's a brand called Mobile Warming that makes batter powered gloves and jackets - although the jackets don't heat as much of the body vs. traditional heated gear.

For the faceshield problem - have you tried pinlock before? That's the only anti-fog solution that I've used that really works. I experienced a little bit of ghosting at night (double vision), but not bad. Scorpion shields are really good at managing fog as well. In my experience the sprays and solutions you apply on the shield don't do much... There are heated dual pane shields for snowmobiles if all else fails - and a lot of them attach to m/c helmets (such as HJC), and they never fog
post #19 of 25 Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Ginger-prick

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on these:
M Medium BikeTek Heated Leather Motorcycle Glove Gloves | eBay

any objections or suggestions?

2007 Honda 919.
post #20 of 25 Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post

I haven't come across that brand before, if you think you'll want more heated gear in the future I'd go with Gerbing's. They're modular, you can add what you want.

post #21 of 25 Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Ginger-prick

I didn't really plan on getting any others, but you know how we men always change our minds about these things after we get started.
I liked these because it had the temperature control built in, every other pair I saw, I had to buy a seperate controller.

2007 Honda 919.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post

Those look pretty much identical to the original TourMaster Synergy gloves I have - same controller and everything.

The new Synergy gloves have a bit better coverage of heating elements as well as a rheostat controller versus the 3 setting controller on those.
post #23 of 25 Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

FWIW, the Gerbing's heated insoles and jacket liner are worth every penny!

post #24 of 25 Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Tirone

I recently switched to the pinlock system on my helmet and my fogging problems finally went away.

post #25 of 25 Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
To answer your question though, most brands of heated gloves heat the back of the hand and fingers. The palm is not heated so you can still have a good feel for the controls and get the warmth from heated grips (if you have them).
Thanks for the info. Good to hear that most don't heat the palm.

Quote:

For the faceshield problem - have you tried pinlock before? That's the only anti-fog solution that I've used that really works. I experienced a little bit of ghosting at night (double vision), but not bad. Scorpion shields are really good at managing fog as well. In my experience the sprays and solutions you apply on the shield don't do much... There are heated dual pane shields for snowmobiles if all else fails - and a lot of them attach to m/c helmets (such as HJC), and they never fog
I looked into the Pinlock option, but they don't offer anything for AGV helmets. AGV makes anti-fog shields, but not for the S-4 model. The Pinlock Fine Vision adhesive insert might be my only option. It might be worth a shot, since nothing else works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode