• 1 Post By ewmin3m
  • 1 Post By Hachi
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 1 Post By Pvster
  • 1 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

H.U.D. if cyclists have it?.....

why if cyclists can create this HUD gear.....why are motorcyclist so so far behind?

https://everysight.com/wp-content/up...site_Video.mp4

VintageHunter
"always looking for that next find".
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
Various Yamaha YSR50, YSR200, YSR80
1986 Honda 500 Interceptor
1998 Yamaha R1 (first original R1)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Tirone

There have been a number of companies attempting it, and most have gone belly up. My guess is D.O.T. requirements for crash safety make it a lot harder than bicycle equipment that doesn't have to meet any codes.

A HUD would be really really helpful though!

post #3 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Centurion

Garage
somebody should look into the flexible screens that Samsung is making and replace the internal sun visor with the flexible screen.

post #4 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
somebody should look into the flexible screens that Samsung is making and replace the internal sun visor with the flexible screen.
Brilliant Idea!
I've often thought along similar lines with cars and 'black' sun roofs, Just replace the damn glass with a solar panel!....sheesh.

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #5 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Tirone

The problem with a flexible screen is the focal length. Our eyes can't focus on something that close unless it is adjusted to display the image at a focal length out in front of us. Drop down lenses aren't uniform enough to avoid distortion and to allow the display to move the focal length out.

Companies that have come up with these huds always use a small screen that you still have to glance down at to read instead of being more like the Microsoft HoloLens
ewmin3m likes this.

post #6 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Centurion

Garage
Very well said, but I can see this problem to be solved with the software implementation of the system to account for all the bends and what not and provide corrections. It is just a screen in the end that gets its picture from the software...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachi View Post
The problem with a flexible screen is the focal length. Our eyes can't focus on something that close unless it is adjusted to display the image at a focal length out in front of us. Drop down lenses aren't uniform enough to avoid distortion and to allow the display to move the focal length out.

Companies that have come up with these huds always use a small screen that you still have to glance down at to read instead of being more like the Microsoft HoloLens

post #7 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 AM
919 Rider

Call me old fashion but I think a riders attention should be 100% on the road not distracted by some tech flashing in your vision. Your also adding weight to your head. And what happens when your samsung HUD device/visor catches on fire while your belting round a corner?
Nealio919 likes this.

post #8 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Centurion

Garage
Hopefully they won't use the same battery as the note 7 lolol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Call me old fashion but I think a riders attention should be 100% on the road not distracted by some tech flashing in your vision. Your also adding weight to your head. And what happens when your samsung HUD device/visor catches on fire while your belting round a corner?
Islandboy likes this.

post #9 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

you don't think the inside of a motogp helmet has telemetry information, road data, tech analyst talking to the rider on a constant basis during a race?
what about "fighter" jets? HUDs on those vehicles and gear all day long.

You're not old fashioned, you're just not forward thinking is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #10 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 AM
919 Rider

I'm not in a race where everyones going the same way and trying to win. I'm not flying a plane trying to shoot things and not be hit.

post #11 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
Very well said, but I can see this problem to be solved with the software implementation of the system to account for all the bends and what not and provide corrections. It is just a screen in the end that gets its picture from the software...
You very well could adjust the display to account for the shape of the screen/lens, but you would need to produce very precise lenses to exactly match the display settings. That would be way more expensive then molded plastic lenses we normally get.

I'm not an expert, but I think the focal length problem can't be solved with adjusting the display distortion. Those little HUD screens that we see in production already have an array of semi-reflective mirrors that bounce the broken up display in exact angles and distances to get the focal length just right and avoiding any nausea inducing display issues.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #12 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think after that on helmet died off, people were left with a bad taste in the mouth. One other thing is lawsuits, bicycles are one thing, motorcycles are another when it comes to head protection. Putting anything inside the helmet is a risk.

The biggest thing would be making the helmet at a fair costs and making it safe/light weight.

I'd like to have cheek adjustment, built in sunglasses, speakers, and universal screens.

post #13 of 27 Old 10-19-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I think after that on helmet died off, people were left with a bad taste in the mouth. One other thing is lawsuits, bicycles are one thing, motorcycles are another when it comes to head protection. Putting anything inside the helmet is a risk.

The biggest thing would be making the helmet at a fair costs and making it safe/light weight.

I'd like to have cheek adjustment, built in sunglasses, speakers, and universal screens.
Yes, the asshat brothers trying to promote the Skully helmet really screwed the road for anyone else with a potential HUD helmet idea.
What a bunch a yahoos.......freakin' losers.

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #14 of 27 Old 10-21-2017, 11:40 PM
The Cripple

There's already a HUD on the market. It's called the Nuviz. I have one and I love it. It's very easy to see, intuitive, and actually adds a lot of usable info without taking your eyes off the road. It's there when you want it, and then it's not.

post #15 of 27 Old 10-22-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
There's already a HUD on the market. It's called the Nuviz. I have one and I love it. It's very easy to see, intuitive, and actually adds a lot of usable info without taking your eyes off the road. It's there when you want it, and then it's not.
wow....nice. tell that to the peckerwoods who insist that a HUD for a motorcycle is just not feasible nor necessary. Sometimes, when one gets old but can still ride enough, you want some additional help/instructions/guidance so's you don't end up asking fer direction in "da hood".

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #16 of 27 Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageHunter View Post
wow....nice. tell that to the peckerwoods who insist that a HUD for a motorcycle is just not feasible nor necessary. Sometimes, when one gets old but can still ride enough, you want some additional help/instructions/guidance so's you don't end up asking fer direction in "da hood".
I won't lie, I was skeptical myself. But being Deaf, any additional info visually is welcomed! Being an original backer, I figured I couldnt lose if I didn't like it. I totally love it, from my daily commute with camera recording to a long work trip across multiple counties, it does almost everything. I only pull out my phone to look at texts lol.

So far it's awesome. They already released 2 or 3 updates so they're on top of it.

post #17 of 27 Old 10-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Tesserarius

I'm an old peckerwood who knows that hud is a solution looking for a problem. There's nothing on that display that I can't live without.

We old peckerwoods know better than to go to da hood in the first place.

I wear the best earplugs I can find while riding, in effect making myself temporarily deaf. That has nothing to do with anything.

That electronic crutch is just another distraction.
Islandboy likes this.

post #18 of 27 Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
I'm an old peckerwood who knows that hud is a solution looking for a problem. There's nothing on that display that I can't live without.

We old peckerwoods know better than to go to da hood in the first place.

I wear the best earplugs I can find while riding, in effect making myself temporarily deaf. That has nothing to do with anything.

That electronic crutch is just another distraction.
I think your dismissal and scoff at each of my points shows your pre-determined bias.

The primary function that I use this device for is camera recording. Everything else is just a huge bonus.

I'll bet you can't live without your Speedo if you intend to avoid speeding tickets. With the hud, you don't have to look down anymore or take your eyes off the road, it's right there in your peripheral view when you want it, and its not when you don't.

It will even tell you the speed limit if you're in an unfamiliar area or needed a reminder. Thats a perk.

When needed, having the GPS visually accessible is awesome. I wish it was set up a bit better but once you figure out how it portrays directions, it's manageable.

The music info is also nice. There are other points but I don't have time to go in to it right now.

Deafness for me has everything to do with why I took the risk buying and trying out this device. There are multiple layers to this decision/thought process. Your attempt to trivialize a sensory loss/disability shows your ignorance and inability to look beyond one or two things.

You haven't tried it yet, so how can you formulate an educated or experienced opinion already? If nothing else, the lack of willingness from you "old peckerwoods" shows your fear that you won't be able to adapt to, keep up with, or handle new, relevant information on the fly. Don't blame your insecurity on a device, dismiss it, and then proceed to chaste those who are giving it a try.

Heck, most riders involved in motorcycle accidents right now fall under the "old peckerwoods" category. Coincidence?
Islandboy likes this.

post #19 of 27 Old 10-23-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

The H.U.D. systems for motorcycles will be only a matter of time, probably in my lifetime, if i live long enough, to see it become defacto in helmets.
Like the rear view cameras in cars these days. Soon, EVERY car will have a rear view camera. May not have the warning audibles, but they will have cameras for backing up.
Same for the self-parking software. Heck, even now the DMVs don't test kids anymore to see if they know how to parallel park....cause the car does it for you.

But no matter. I work in a field thats riddled with folks who "just dont get it". and never will. In my field, I was a big promotor of 3D adopter early on to assist in my designs. Back when 3D was, well, none existant. Now....seems "everybody" (clients) are demanding that ALL work be shown in 3D........see how that works.

I had a saying a while back, "You either ride the wave of technology or you get ripped and dragged along by it's undertow"................easy peasy guys...you adapt or you die. Don't be a do-do bird...look at what happened to them.

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #20 of 27 Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
I think your dismissal and scoff at each of my points shows your pre-determined bias.

The primary function that I use this device for is camera recording. Everything else is just a huge bonus.

I'll bet you can't live without your Speedo if you intend to avoid speeding tickets. With the hud, you don't have to look down anymore or take your eyes off the road, it's right there in your peripheral view when you want it, and its not when you don't.

It will even tell you the speed limit if you're in an unfamiliar area or needed a reminder. Thats a perk.

When needed, having the GPS visually accessible is awesome. I wish it was set up a bit better but once you figure out how it portrays directions, it's manageable.

The music info is also nice. There are other points but I don't have time to go in to it right now.

Deafness for me has everything to do with why I took the risk buying and trying out this device. There are multiple layers to this decision/thought process. Your attempt to trivialize a sensory loss/disability shows your ignorance and inability to look beyond one or two things.

You haven't tried it yet, so how can you formulate an educated or experienced opinion already? If nothing else, the lack of willingness from you "old peckerwoods" shows your fear that you won't be able to adapt to, keep up with, or handle new, relevant information on the fly. Don't blame your insecurity on a device, dismiss it, and then proceed to chaste those who are giving it a try.

Heck, most riders involved in motorcycle accidents right now fall under the "old peckerwoods" category. Coincidence?
You just gave me an idea. Create a helmet with HUD that has directional mics so that a deaf person can see where noise is coming from.

I'm an app developer and thought about using AI to analyze the sounds that an engine makes in order to determine problems. The same tech should be able to tell a horn, brake lock up, etc... They use this tech to determine when a gunshot happened and where.

More and more, I want to do a KickStarter for this.

post #21 of 27 Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
You just gave me an idea. Create a helmet with HUD that has directional mics so that a deaf person can see where noise is coming from.

I'm an app developer and thought about using AI to analyze the sounds that an engine makes in order to determine problems. The same tech should be able to tell a horn, brake lock up, etc... They use this tech to determine when a gunshot happened and where.

More and more, I want to do a KickStarter for this.
Here's one more level to add to your app. We use a "seat pad" in conjunction with the HUD that basically acts like the seats that fighter pilots have. The seats that have those pop-up dimples that alert the pilots which direction enemy and fire is coming from. Basically you could apply that tech to a motorcycle seat that has proximity sensors and creates a bubble field around the bike so when a car is close to your left or right side, ahead of time, those dimples rise up a bit to alert the rider......"hey something is at your 3oclock, or six or nine... beware"......etc. something like that.

VintageHunter
1984 Yamaha Seca 400
1984 Honda CB125
1987 Yamaha RZ350
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1997 Kawasaki ZX7
1989 Honda GT650 Hawk
1989 Honda CB-1
2007 Honda 919
2001 Honda CBR F4i

post #22 of 27 Old 10-23-2017, 07:00 PM
The Cripple

Karl, you got my creative juices flowing. I think you'll hit a much wider base if you develop directorial notifications for video games. That would be epically cool. Another possibility would be to set up some kind of pathway for using a phone number to call into a team speak server.

post #23 of 27 Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Here's one more level to add to your app. We use a "seat pad" in conjunction with the HUD that basically acts like the seats that fighter pilots have. The seats that have those pop-up dimples that alert the pilots which direction enemy and fire is coming from. Basically you could apply that tech to a motorcycle seat that has proximity sensors and creates a bubble field around the bike so when a car is close to your left or right side, ahead of time, those dimples rise up a bit to alert the rider......"hey something is at your 3oclock, or six or nine... beware"......etc. something like that.
Huh! That's even more cool! I think that would be very useful for vehicles in general.

I think the best application may be in video games to test with first.

post #24 of 27 Old 10-23-2017, 07:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Karl, you got my creative juices flowing. I think you'll hit a much wider base if you develop directorial notifications for video games. That would be epically cool. Another possibility would be to set up some kind of pathway for using a phone number to call into a team speak server.
LOL! I actually am. I'm a mobile developer and I just started an ARKit game for iOS. It's where you use the camera to make a world and I add targets that you have to run around and kill. I wanted it to be like the old "freeze tag" game.

I'm also thinking about using the devices for tracking people and sound for things like a security system. There's no reason we can't have 360deg sensors. Maybe even better is to have more of those lane change sensors in cars.
Pvster likes this.

post #25 of 27 Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 PM
The Cripple

let's talk. I'm pc gamer and would live some help. Heck, I'll pay you something and help test.

post #26 of 27 Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
you don't think the inside of a motogp helmet has telemetry information, road data, tech analyst talking to the rider on a constant basis during a race?
what about "fighter" jets? HUDs on those vehicles and gear all day long.

You're not old fashioned, you're just not forward thinking is all.
I don't think... I know that there isn't... good try tho

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #27 of 27 Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
let's talk. I'm pc gamer and would live some help. Heck, I'll pay you something and help test.
I'll be looking for some people to vet the idea if it gets into production. I'll keep you in mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode