Got a question on a price. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Got a question on a price.

My buddy is looking for his first bike, he has never been on one before. He's doing the smart thing and looking at 'beginner' type bikes rather than running to the dealer for the latest RR. He found an SV 650 (I don't recall the year) with about 9500 miles on it that he asked me to test ride for him. It's been dropped at least once and the shifter is bent and it doesn't go into nuetral easily (you really have to force it). The biggest issue it has is the rear brake DOES NOT WORK AT ALL!! I put all my weight on it, standing on my right foot on the pedal and not a damn thing happened. Other than that it's a pretty clean and cherry bike. I'm not too sure on used SV prices, but I threw out $2200 to my buddy as what I would feel comfortable paying for it. I told him I would check with the crew at WT to confirm though. Am I way off base or just about right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
I'd first want to figure out why the rear brake doesn't work. For him being a new rider, I wouldn't feel comfortable letting him only use the front brake all the time, rather than learning to use both simultaneously. Also...since he's newer, he'll need that back brake for situations in loose gravel. If it's not a very hard fix, I'd say the price is about right...but if it's going to cost a lot to get the brake working, I wouldn't bother.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
post #3 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

He won't get on a bike that isn't 100% (and his wife would shoot him if he did) and we're both mechanics. The master cylinder moves just fine and we both suspect it may need a bleeding or the caliper may be stuck. Worst case scenario is the master needing a rebuild. If the bike was covered in crud and gunk I would be seeing it differently.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Immune

The problems shifting would have me worried more than the brake. Did it appear that it was the bent shifter causing problems? OR do you suspect internal damage to the trannie? That price seems high if the trannie has issues. It shouldn't take too much more $$ to find a sv ready to go.

Now that I think about it, that price is high if the seller cant take the time to replace a shifter and fix the rear brake!

post #5 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
The problems shifting would have me worried more than the brake. Did it appear that it was the bent shifter causing problems? OR do you suspect internal damage to the trannie? That price seems high if the trannie has issues. It shouldn't take too much more $$ to find a sv ready to go.

Now that I think about it, that price is high if the seller cant take the time to replace a shifter and fix the rear brake!
+1

post #6 of 6 Old 07-22-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'll pass the word along.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode