Good news for kids that ride - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

Good news for kids that ride

Breaking News: Lead Law fix bill passes both chambers now heads to president for signature Take Action!

Write the President now!

On Monday, August 1, 2011, H.R. 2715 was introduced by U.S. Reps. Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), chair of the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade and G.K. Butterfield (D-NC), ranking member of the same subcommittee. The bill, which passed the House of Representatives by a vote of 421 to 2, exempts kids' off-highway vehicles (OHVs) from the lead law that was scheduled to effectively ban the sale of those machines at the end of the year.

To view how your Representative voted on H.R. 2715, click here. To thank your Representative, click here.

On the same day that it was introduced and considered by the U.S. House, the U.S. Senate considered H.R. 2715. Without any objection, the bill passed the Senate by unanimous consent, and now heads to the President for his signature.

To thank your Senators, click here.

H.R.2715 provides for the categorical exemption of youth OHVs as defined in H.R. 412, the Kids Just Want to Ride Act, which was introduced January 25 by Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-MT). The riding community's overwhelming support of H.R. 412 significantly contributed to the fast-tracking of this new bill.

H.R. 2715 exempts youth OHVs from the lead-content provisions of the Consumer product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008, otherwise known as the "lead law." Those provisions contain overly restrictive lead-content limits that have all but destroyed the sale of youth OHVs and severely hampered youth motorized recreation.

The AMA and All-Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA) applaud Reps. Bono Mack and Butterfield for introducing this bill. The Associations also thank Rep. Denny Rehberg and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) for their tireless efforts to save youth OHV riding.

Passage of the CPSIA banned the making, importing, distributing or selling of any product intended for children 12 and under that contains more than a specified amount of lead in any accessible part. It also required that all children's products undergo periodic testing by independent laboratories approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which is responsible for implementing the law.

The CPSC delayed enforcing key portions of the law until after the end of 2011. Unless the CPSIA was changed, the sale of youth-model motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles that do not conform to the CPSIA would be officially banned beginning in 2012.

With both houses of Congress firmly behind H.R. 2715, now is the time to show everyone in Washington just how serious we are about protecting our freedoms and charge past the checkered flag. The AMA and ATVA urge you to contact President Obama to spur him to sign H.R. 2715 into law without delay. A prewritten e-mail is also available for you to send to President Obama immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

For more information on the CPSIA and everything the AMA has done on behalf of youth motorized recreation, please click here.

Thank you for getting involved in the fight to save youth OHV riding!

AmericanMotorcyclist.com
Rapid Response Center
Contribute to the Cause
Get Involved
Register to Vote

AmericanMotorcyclist.com Rapid Response Center Contribute to the Cause Get Involved Register to Vote
AMA Facebook Page RSS Feed

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i always loved how the man trys to limit or change what we do (motorcycles) by doing something SO OBSCURE its nonsense.... i remember hearing about the lead thing, when i showed up to a dealer a coupla yrs back and left feeling odd... i got home and went... wait there were no small bikes... the ammount of lead in a small pit bike is almost NOTHING.... it will do so much less harm to the rider than actually riding the bike its not even funny (and if the kid is taught right, there shouldnt be much harm any ways), yet they were taken out of circulation for a short period of time... im glad this shit got shot down like a sack of crap....

post #3 of 14 Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
MSF blacksheep

Yay! Now my 4 year old can finally pick up that honda 50 he's had his eye on

post #4 of 14 Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
Yay! Now my 4 year old can finally pick up that honda 50 he's had his eye on
And daddy can ride wheelies all around the house! Yay!

post #5 of 14 Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
MSF blacksheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
And daddy can ride wheelies all around the house! Yay!
Exactly

post #6 of 14 Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Le So Cal Troll

off topic.... but i vote ferris bueller's sig picture as a banner for WT.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
seconded.

That's awesome that the bs got shot down.

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #8 of 14 Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Great idea!

post #9 of 14 Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 AM
MSF blacksheep

Im liking where this is going!

post #10 of 14 Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Wow, never heard of any of this. You turn your back for a minute and the gov'ment is trying to screw you in the backside.

Question:

There's lead in minibikes?

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #11 of 14 Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Lead is in the wheel weights and the ends of the clutch and brake cables. Tire valves too I think.

post #12 of 14 Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
I WANNA RIDE!

Yeah, and Lord knows kids are always putting those things in their mouths when their riding and with all their gear on they have a huge risk of exposure to them too! (sarcasm intended)

post #13 of 14 Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

For sure, and since it was explain to the lawmakers reasonably without any hysteria there was a tweak to the rule.

This all came about as a result of the toys flooding the US (and the rest of the world) that were literally full of lead.

Who are the two members of the House who voted against this and why?

post #14 of 14 Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

WERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
Great idea!

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode