Good Deed for the Day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Good Deed for the Day

I did my good deed today.

I went riding with Justintyme earlier, and on the way home I came across a young (17yo or so) rider stranded on the side of the road. A harley rider had already stopped to see what the kid needed, too.

Michael's (the young rider) yellow 94 GSX600 had broken it's chain and had it wrapped up in the rear sprocket, jammed between the sprocket and the swingarm. The poor chain looked as if it was last cleaned & lubed around Y2K. The side of the sprocket was all gouged up, and so was the swingarm, and the adjuster on the left side was trashed. I wish that I had taken some pics, but I forgot to in the heat of the moment.

The young rider (wearing T-shirt, shorts and sneakers, but with helmet) said that he was trying to get the bike into town (a few miles away) to get the chain replaced...he knew it was worn out. He said he just bought the bike a couple months ago and was trying to get it fixed up. He didn't have towing coverage with his insurance, and said he wanted a ride into town to pick up his new chain and that he would figure out a way to install it on the side of the highway.

I told him that if he was going to stick with that plan, then good luck...but that were I him, I'd call someone with a truck that could come pick him & the bike up..."you're not gonna be able to get it road-worthy out here with no tools..." I also told him he was pretty lucky not to have crashed and/or done catastrophic damage to the bike! I also gave him some needed advice about how chains love to get cleaned up and oiled every now and again...he said he hadn't realized this needed to be done.

He made a couple calls, and a few minutes later Dad rolled up with the family truck and I helped them lift the bike into said truck and helped them tie it down. Last I saw of them, the kid was sitting in back with his bike, headed home.

I referred him here, we'll see if he shows up. I told him that someone here could probably help him get some info, like where to find a service manual for his bike, and other things that he really ought to know being a noob to motorcycling.

Vaya con Dios, young Michael!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Awesome of you to help a bro out. Poor thing didn't have anyone to check the bike out for him before he bought it I guess.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Luckily he will live another day. Sounds like that could have been really bad. Good work helping a fellow rider out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 6 Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Good juju all around.

post #5 of 6 Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You are the man Delcan

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #6 of 6 Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Braaaap

Nice work. I ve done that a few times and it sure does help give them some friendly advice and show them the right way.

LIVE TO RIDE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode