Good deed for the day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
919>food>beer

Good deed for the day

So today while I was out and about I saw what looked like a moto that went over a hill by my local home depot. So I pull over and investigate to see what was going on. I realize quickly that it was a you kid 15-16ish that was having mechanical troubles with a pocket bike he was riding on a bike trail down there.

So I venture over and ask whats goin on and if he needed some help and tools. He did so I grab my bag o' tools out of the saddle bag and head over to see whats up. Apparently he lost a motor mount bolt and popped the chain. So we got the chain back on and I explained to him how to adjust it properly when he gets home and then went about fixing the bolt. He had no idea where It went so we figured out the approximate size, 5/16 x 5" and off to home depot we went. I spent a whole dollar on the parts for him and another 10 minutes putting the bolt in.

Talked with him for a bit, seemed like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders, he was already working, was interested in becoming a chef, loved cars, and bikes, He reminded me of myself at his age. I certainly am glad to have given up 30 minutes and a dollar to help the guy out. I certainly had fun working on the bike in front of home depot too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Nice! There should be more people like us in this world, most, at least in my neck of the woods, would have scowled at the kid for riding a dirtbike and making noise...

post #3 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Imaginifer

Thank God no one died!

It's people like you that this kid will remember and hopefully he'll pass forward the good DEED!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
919>food>beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc919er View Post
Thank God no one died!

It's people like you that this kid will remember and hopefully he'll pass forward the good DEED!
yeah I hope so, and I did catch that too... unfortunately you can't edit posts after a few minutes

post #5 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Changed the title for you.

And good of you to help the kid out. He'll take that little maintenance lesson to heart.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Saw a guy in a gas station today with a bottle of brake fluid next to his bike, went over to see what happened, he has a leak in the clutch slave cover (I think), the clutch didn't work. Went home, got more fluid and some wrenches, went back and bled it for him (niether he or his friend had any idea how to bleed hydrolic lines), good enough for him to get home. My good deed for the day.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Saw a guy in a gas station today with a bottle of brake fluid next to his bike, went over to see what happened, he has a leak in the clutch slave cover (I think), the clutch didn't work. Went home, got more fluid and some wrenches, went back and bled it for him (niether he or his friend had any idea how to bleed hydrolic lines), good enough for him to get home. My good deed for the day.
Good show.

From now on, you shall be known as "Rescue Rick."

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Dead Wrong

Garage
this deed will come around friend.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Good on ya, Jeef!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

You are a good man Jeef, even if you don't remember this thread.

Very impressive that rmb found matching context. He's an expert searcher to inspire us all. Great Samaritan job fixing the clutch!

On a AK ride I was stuck in the outback with an electrical issue and no more fuses. I was about to thumb it, when a guy rides up on the same bike (CBR600) and gave me four fuses which overcame the flaky fuel pump to reach Anchorage and buy the bypass hose...

post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Nice job I am sure he did appreciate it as he might have been freaking out a little as to what to do and how was he going to get home. You showed him good peeps are still around.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Princeps Prior

I tried to do that once for a broken down harley, and he just said it happens often and he just needs to slap the engine with his plastic mallet. haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode