Vents do NOT compromise safety of Gloves 4 20.00%
Vents DO Compromise Safety of Gloves 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Question GLOVES - TO VENT OR NOT TO VENT?

Hello -

Yes, crazy me still has dreams of Veloce one day being a very successful enterprise. And to that end, I am constantly reviewing things in the industry.

One issue that is always on my mind is the one of venting on gloves.

First question is the functionality. Do they truly make a difference to the rider as far as letting air in? Your hands / fingers are usually snug inside a glove that venting only creates marginal ventilation for your hands. You typically only feel it in the area that is vented which is either on the back of your hand or your finger knuckles.

Second question is comfort. To put in vents - particularly on the fingers, you need to cut a hole to allow air in and the vent is usually rigid. This often causes discomfort on your fingers when your hand is clenched. You often feel the bottom of the vent on your fingers and it can go from annoying to down right painful. Also... IF the vent is plastic and really rigid, it can actually add to injury in the event of a fall.

I already alluded to the third question - safety. Can vent compromise the overall safety and survivability of a glove? Every seam you add to a glove or apparel presents another potential fail point. Can vents present this un-intentionally? Can finger venting add to injury during an accident? Hard plastic vents can create rigid surfaces that can hit bone or limbs like fingers. I think of John C's crash and what would have happened had there been no padding under the C/F knuckle protection and had there been plastic vents on the fingers?

If you were to look at a number of gloves on the market today, you might notice a trend of no more vents - from Alpinestars to Held and even Dainese which are names I respect. The most you seem to see are venting on the back of the hand if any at all. Do they know something others don't?

So... I throw this debate open. All opinions are very welcome as well as your votes.

Thanks,

WIM - Veloce Dreamer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I know that when it's 80+ degrees and the sun is beating on me, my hands are very hot. With that said, I don't know if a small contact area on the top of my hand with outside air will help much. I would say leave them solid. Unless semi-full perforation is safely possible?

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I know that when it's 80+ degrees and the sun is beating on me, my hands are very hot. With that said, I don't know if a small contact area on the top of my hand with outside air will help much. I would say leave them solid. Unless semi-full perforation is safely possible?
The only problem with any perforation in any garment is the susceptibility for it to rip or tear on impact. That is why we actually changed some of the aspects on the current glove. Survivability was a key issue.

post #4 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Not sure which way to vote on this one....I like how yours are solid and they give reasonable protection in cooler/cold climates but the day that I rode in 95 degree weather I was really wishing for some ventilation as my hands were on fire.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #5 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Not sure which way to vote on this one....I like how yours are solid and they give reasonable protection in cooler/cold climates but the day that I rode in 95 degree weather I was really wishing for some ventilation as my hands were on fire.
I can emphathize with your situation. The question is whether or not the miarginal ventilation you would get with vents is worth it?

post #6 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
I can emphathize with your situation. The question is whether or not the miarginal ventilation you would get with vents is worth it?

Again a toughy, hot weather "yes" cold weather "no". Still haven't voted in the poll though.

post #7 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

For the minimal amount of air it would actually give you...

I say NO VENTS! Not worth the injury risk.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #8 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

That a tough one , Im in Texas and when its 100+ and Im riding home my hands are sweating like crazy, So lil venting would benifit me , although Im buying some of your gloves that have no vents because the vented gloves I have just shoot cold air over the top of my fingers when its 30 degrees outside , hard to have the best of both worlds .str8

P.S. Wim got that in the mail today , should have in 2-3 days .

post #9 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

First of all, as always, thanks for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post

I can appreciate your response - similar to Ragdolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
Again a toughy, hot weather "yes" cold weather "no". Still haven't voted in the poll though.
So, maybe having a choice - so for you it means having two gloves on hand at all times? In case of weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
That a tough one , Im in Texas and when its 100+ and Im riding home my hands are sweating like crazy, So lil venting would benifit me , although Im buying some of your gloves that have no vents because the vented gloves I have just shoot cold air over the top of my fingers when its 30 degrees outside , hard to have the best of both worlds .str8

P.S. Wim got that in the mail today , should have in 2-3 days .
So... I in your case, you prefer venting as you find even the slightest bit of air beneficial. Any thoughts on the other concerns? And no worries on the "mail", thanks again.

post #10 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:

So, maybe having a choice - so for you it means having two gloves on hand at all times? In case of weather?

On and as in "in the house" the answer would be yes. As for "on my person" no, that is what proper planning and the weather channel would be for.

But for my area of the US I feel it is imperative to have various gloves, jackets ect due to the extreme temp variables.

post #11 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post

That's because you would have to run reallllllly fast to get any air flow considering you don't have a bike.

post #12 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Can you post up any current vented gloves on the market as an example?

Here's my thought, too cold. I have tons of vented gear and while a lot of the time it "seems" to have no effect as soon as you're out on a cool or rainy day it becomes miserable.

Here's my suggestion. Vents on the gauntlet with some of the miracle "evapa-cool whatchamafabric" at the wrists. Your hands will stay warm but the veins pumping the blood will cool. Set it up as removable for inclement weather so when you zip or Velcro the vent shut if there's still a leak the active cooling ingredient is gone.

post #13 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Any thoughts on the other concerns?
Yeah saftey is always a concern, I did go down with the vented gloves that I have and hit on the palm of the hand so the vents on top of the fingers were not a problem. I guess I would have to agree two sets of gloves would be best just have to make sure to watch the weather, like Dadogs said
Quote:
But for my area of the US I feel it is imperative to have various gloves, jackets ect due to the extreme temp variables

post #14 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Well, It shouldn't be a one-glove-does-all approach. I wouldn't think you'd want to rely on one pair of gloves to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Any dedicated rider will have more than one pair of gloves. I recently aquired my 4th pair. Why? They are all good in different temperatures and situations. Have a pair for low speed run-to-the-bank times and a pair for the 5 degrees and determined to ride more than 5 minutes times. And then a pair for between that. And then a pair for the track where I'm going to crash. Make summer gloves and winter gloves but don't try to do both in one because a share of people will be disappointed by too much venting for cooler weather or not enough for warmer weather.

Make them out of loosely knit yarn.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #15 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Well, It shouldn't be a one-glove-does-all approach.
I have to agree with this... If riding in 40 degrees F or below, i find gloves designed for snowmobiling work best.

For hot weather i look for gloves with out a lining. I think the vent designs i've seen so far are pretty much useless... like WIM pointed out. Maybe there are ways to take advantage of air cooling without making holes in the material... breathable linings that wick away sweat, etc.

post #16 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Thanks for all the responses. I agree with you guys that it should not be a one-glove-does-all approach to this.

Streakin, I like the idea of unlined gloves in the summer, but I have found from experience that they don't wear very well or last as long as lined gloves. You will be amazed at how much sweat degredates leather over time.

I guess as a manufacturer, you then have to either make one glove in two ways - vented and none vented, or have to different dedicated gloves.

Exotic materials are great too, especially with the stuff coming out these days - it's just a question of cost, etc.

post #17 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Greater market strategy to make more than less. You can grab more niches that way. The Arizona guys don't want thicker liners, while the people that live in crappy Wisconsin, do.

In Wisconsin it's 0-10 degrees in the winter and 90-100 and humid in the summer. I ride all the time so I want gloves to cover both climates that Wisconsin vomits on us. Double the sales for ya!

Midwest and I could go shoot a few hundred deer for the hides if you want. Just have to down any rural highway around here.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #18 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Greater market strategy to make more than less. You can grab more niches that way. The Arizona guys don't want thicker liners, while the people that live in crappy Wisconsin, do.

In Wisconsin it's 0-10 degrees in the winter and 90-100 and humid in the summer. I ride all the time so I want gloves to cover both climates that Wisconsin vomits on us. Double the sales for ya!

Midwest and I could go shoot a few hundred deer for the hides if you want. Just have to down any rural highway around here.
This may be true, but you can also end up diluting your brand by trying to be too many things at once. It can become excess weight on you as a manufacturer.

post #19 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Can you post up any current vented gloves on the market as an example?

I have a pair very similar to these (not this exact model), while in my opinion the don't come close to WIM's Veloce's in build quality they are nicely vented for warm weather riding.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...or-Gloves.aspx

post #20 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I can't wear the Veloce in any temps above 75 or my hands sweat too much. If warmer than that, I wear the Joe Rocket Speedmaster's. Vented knuckle and there are holes punched in-between the fingers for airflow.

So, I say vent.

post #21 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I can't wear the Veloce in any temps above 75 or my hands sweat too much. If warmer than that, I wear the Joe Rocket Speedmaster's. Vented knuckle and there are holes punched in-between the fingers for airflow.

So, I say vent.
I was about to say the same thing. The Speedmasters are well vented due to the between finger vents. They have similar vents as the Olympia gloves linked above.

Side note: Those Olympia gloves have the wrist protection of a long sleeved t-shirt.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #22 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Side note: Those Olympia gloves have the wrist protection of a long sleeved t-shirt.
Yeah I know....that's why I rarely wear them

post #23 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:

So, I say vent.
Ridge - How well do the vents work when you are riding? We had considered holes in between the fingers or along the fingers for the Veloce gloves, but on review, it was felt that with the hand clenched and the fingers closed, it would not really serve much of a function in actual riding. Also, we dropped the idea of vent holes underneath the fingers due to concerns of safety from board members, and again survivability.

It all seems to boil down to giving customers a choice within a product line or brand. One vented, the other not vented. Then it's a question of how you do go about venting the gloves. They are tricky to vent.

By the way, which model Speedmaster are you referring to? And what year model?

post #24 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I can definately feel the airflow from the top vent when fist closed. If in a closed position, I remind myself to relax my fingers and wiggle them out to keep a loose grip on the bars. I have to do this about all the time or I end up clenching the bars and that never ends well.

post #25 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I can definately feel the airflow from the top vent when fist closed. If in a closed position, I remind myself to relax my fingers and wiggle them out to keep a loose grip on the bars. I have to do this about all the time or I end up clenching the bars and that never ends well.
Okay... that makes sense.

post #26 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

I have some vented gloves with out the guanlet made by frank thomas (cycle gears brand) as a glove they are not that good or bad, but in really hot weather i still sweat in them enought that they are wet. They have venting on the tops of the fingers and back of hand. I find the venting works best in the winter. Ha!! Freezes them but don't really help much in the summer, maybe it's just the brand but i would think if venting would help and you were ok sacrificing safety a vent in the back of the hand and top of fingers would be best for venting. I don't use them anymore cause I have the FAR superior VELOCE glove and don't care for vents now!! Someone suggest a really good venting glove for the summer and maybe I'll try after i replace my Boots

post #27 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
I have some vented gloves with out the guanlet made by frank thomas (cycle gears brand) as a glove they are not that good or bad, but in really hot weather i still sweat in them enought that they are wet. They have venting on the tops of the fingers and back of hand. I find the venting works best in the winter. Ha!! Freezes them but don't really help much in the summer, maybe it's just the brand but i would think if venting would help and you were ok sacrificing safety a vent in the back of the hand and top of fingers would be best for venting. I don't use them anymore cause I have the FAR superior VELOCE glove and don't care for vents now!! Someone suggest a really good venting glove for the summer and maybe I'll try after i replace my Boots
The hands are still enclosed in leather, so they will inevitably generate heat enough to make them sweat. That is pretty much a given.

The one on the back of the hand seems like it might be viable, but the finger ones just don't seem to bring in enough air to make them worth it. Just my humble opinion.

post #28 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I agree w/ James. On my last ride when it hit hi 70's my hands were sweating & started to move around in the glove. Cruising down the road wasn't bad, but once I started to play a little they got hot.

post #29 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder View Post
I agree w/ James. On my last ride when it hit hi 70's my hands were sweating & started to move around in the glove. Cruising down the road wasn't bad, but once I started to play a little they got hot.
Ummm.... what were you playing with ?!?!

post #30 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Ummm.... what were you playing with ?!?!
an RC... don't you wish you could?!

post #31 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I can definately feel the airflow from the top vent when fist closed.l.
Actually the new Speedmasters top vent is mostly for looks, at least mine are.

I had a pair of the Old Speedmasters with vents on top of each finger. The ones with chrome knuckles. Those glove spoiled me a bit with great airflow. I'd have to peel my leathers off but may hands would be dry.

I finally wore thru the palms and had to pick up a new pair. I looked for another pair of gloves with the finger vents but couldn't find any. The new Speedmasters had that big vent on top of the knuckles so I figured that would work well.

Down at RA my hands sweated a bit so I took a razor blade to the opening of the knukcle vent and made it larger.
Still didn't feel like it was flowing much air so I took a pair of needle nose and pulled the foam out from under the vent, when I did guess what, ...

No vent holes .

The holes in between the fingers work pretty good but don't keep my hands as cool as those older JR's.

Maybe mine are missing the vent holes under the knuckle protector, but I'm pretty sure its just a fake air inlet.

I vote for Vented and un-Vented. Use the right glove for the appropriate temps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glove.jpg (105.1 KB, 9 views)

post #32 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
Still didn't feel like it was flowing much air so I took a pair of needle nose and pulled the foam out from under the vent, when I did guess what, ...

No vent holes .

The holes in between the fingers work pretty good but don't keep my hands as cool as those older JR's.

Maybe mine are missing the vent holes under the knuckle protector, but I'm pretty sure its just a fake air inlet.

I vote for Vented and un-Vented. Use the right glove for the appropriate temps.
DANG! You got jacked!!!!

post #33 of 39 Old 11-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

i just ran the Teknic Speedstars with the airblade thingy on the knuckles. seemed to get air on the back of my hand some, but my palms and fingers were still sweaty. made the kangaroo stick to my hands and i had to pry them off. granted they are a VERY snug fit to begin with! i like the venting overall, would like to have some of the venting others have talked about between the fingers.

post #34 of 39 Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
i just ran the Teknic Speedstars with the airblade thingy on the knuckles. seemed to get air on the back of my hand some, but my palms and fingers were still sweaty. made the kangaroo stick to my hands and i had to pry them off. granted they are a VERY snug fit to begin with! i like the venting overall, would like to have some of the venting others have talked about between the fingers.
I actually had a pair of the Speedstars to review. I found them to be sized kinda small - regardless of the actual size on them. Almost tight actually. I was also a little leery of a couple of other things. Anyway... the debate goes on about venting. Sounds like the general thought is have a choice of vented or non vented, and if vented, any little bit of airflow is welcome.

I am not sure personally like that Blade thingy on the Teknic gloves...

post #35 of 39 Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

IF i am able to keep going with the line, this is potentially the Primus Race Glove. Just doing sketches at the moment to see what works.

post #36 of 39 Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

What? You only had the 8-color box of Crayolas?

I still don't see a wiper?

post #37 of 39 Old 12-21-2007, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
What? You only had the 8-color box of Crayolas?

I still don't see a wiper?

Only 6-colors mate!

A N S W E R Y O U R E M A I L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #38 of 39 Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Only 6-colors mate!

A N S W E R Y O U R E M A I L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which one? I haven't seen shiet! Only your response to Midwest.

post #39 of 39 Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Which one? I haven't seen shiet! Only your response to Midwest.
Don't make me set Phast on you .... check it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode