Give me the rundown of the Power Commander map creation procedure (LDH)... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Give me the rundown of the Power Commander map creation procedure (LDH)...

Bike: Yamaha WR250X with full system, stock airbox & filter, flapper mod just like the 919, 919 PAIR equivilant already removed.

I am considering a Power Commander but there is not anywhere near the support (IE good maps) available for that like there is for the 919. Most everyone uses a FMF unit which can only add fuel (never subtract) via the three buttons like a Power Commander has & that is it. Obviously crude & its mainly a bunch of people guesstimating at that.

For the Power Commander there is basically just the Dynojet maps which is with a Leo Vince slip on & a variety of airbox configs--like "open" whatever that means on a WR250X; as to make it any more "open" than stock you need a hacksaw or a hole saw. There is no removeable lid or snorkel.

So the lack of a decent map (plus I have a full system not a slip on) keeps me from buying one. My questions are these:

Here in BFE, a Dynojet shop would be few & far between & even if I found one I doubt the local yokle running the place would be qualified to strap it to the dyno let alone run it or tune it in a meaningful fashion.

How does the map creation work?

Does the Dynojet Dyno communicate with the PC & create a map based on what? A target AF ratio? What should I use? Is that the extent of the operator involvement?

How many runs does it take--is it an iterative process of multiple runs making a better map or just one required?

Is there some kind of varying throttle learn & load procedure or just the typical 0 to WFO to 0 dyno run?

Any experience with the new PC V vs the PC III?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

The PCV does have an accessory for auto tune. Not sure if it is availble for the wrx. The maps have % for each rpm and throttle position. You could take a existing map and tweak it for your needs. Really need a dyno with a gas analyzer to do it right. You could ride it around with a lap top and make tweaks at various points in your ride.

post #3 of 9 Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Sike

With the mods you are talking about (using a PCIII), with a dyno tune, 31-32 rwhp is the likely zone. The dyno tune really should be done, it makes all of the difference. Some folks have tried the auto tune PCV, but for some reason it has had problems (I didn't read enough to know what the problem was). The tuner makes all of the difference, and depending upon the bike the number of runs can vary greatly.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Does the PC V software have map compare like the PC III? I'm looking at some maps & want to know the differences. The Graves full system & FMF full system look very different in spots.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I believe FMF does a power bomb on the header. Kind of like an expansion chamber. I believe Graves were doing a crossover tube on their supermoto stuff. A custom map will always be the best route. The numbers sike was quoting is about it. Next need a big bore kit.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

I ordered a PC V. The place I got it from is supposed to set it up for you based on your mods--IE make you a special map based off whatever. I asked if he just averaged some maps together & he said it was more complicated than that. They also have a database of dyno tuned maps they have made that you get access too in addition to the Dynojet ones--too bad only one of their WR maps at the moment though. I think whenever they do a custom map for a customer they add it to the database for all. I'll probably just run what they program & then try the Full FMF map too. Place is advertised as the #1 PC dealer in the US.

Talked to their tech support & with my setup he recommended the FMF full system map over the Graves. Said the FMF ones are usually pretty good. Besides I do have a FMF power bomb header, just a different muffler so I'm halfway there. Looking at the Yamaha site the Graves does have a funky headpipe.

No auto tune.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Milites Gregarius

Here is what a map looks like. I can E-mail you one to study and you can download djm software from their site to veiw it. As others have said a custom map makes ALL the difference.

'03 RC
CRA
#667 N
post #8 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

you just need to install a wider powerband....

post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
you just need to install a wider powerband....

One of these for example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerband.thumb.jpg (11.3 KB, 40 views)

'03 RC
CRA
#667 N

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode