gas mileage - Page 2 - Wrist Twisters
 17Likes

post #41 of 51 Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I got a big fish spine jabbed into my left index finger several years ago and the end of my finger from the last joint was completely paralyzed. I couldn't work it or feel it, it was floppy and hanging down. Had a weird tingle too. Slowly over about 4yrs I got control again and feeling back. All normal now. I think some nerves can grow back in time.
For sure, some nerves can regrow, and thank goodness they can.
I had a hand paralysis 11 years ago, Saturday Night Palsy was the tongue in cheek name for it.
The neuro' told me nerves grow at the rate of a nominal 1 mm per day, so it was easy to tell how long to expect my throttle/front brake hand to take before it was functional again, seeing as the damage point was in my upper arm.
I pretty much lost the riding season because of it, but it came back nicely and still works well.
Scary stuff to wake one one morning with a dead hand!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 Old 06-15-2018, 03:45 PM
919 Rider

That is scary.

post #43 of 51 Old 06-15-2018, 04:52 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
That is scary.
Hey, if you want instant attention from the medical community in Canada, just say "um, I woke up this morning two hours ago with my hand tingling, hanging down and absolutely useless. I figure if two hours have gone by and nothing has changed, something must be wrong."
Islandboy likes this.

post #44 of 51 Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
For sure, some nerves can regrow, and thank goodness they can.
I had a hand paralysis 11 years ago, Saturday Night Palsy was the tongue in cheek name for it.
The neuro' told me nerves grow at the rate of a nominal 1 mm per day, so it was easy to tell how long to expect my throttle/front brake hand to take before it was functional again, seeing as the damage point was in my upper arm.
I pretty much lost the riding season because of it, but it came back nicely and still works well.
Scary stuff to wake one one morning with a dead hand!!!!
That happened to me once, peripheral neuroses I think they called it, generally it's getting tanked and sleeping on your arm.
I had absolutely no feeling from the elbow down for 2 weeks, and another 4 weeks till I could go back to work. Worst most scary time of my life.

The Dr's told me it will either heal in 6 weeks, or stay like that forever.
I had a friend from school who lost both his legs, crashed out drunk and cut off the circulation, was only mid 20's too.

post #45 of 51 Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 AM
Discen

My average is 38mpg, but it ranges from near 50 when i go through smooth backroads with my "tail-gunner" to 30's when jail-speeding.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #46 of 51 Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispao View Post
when jail-speeding.

post #47 of 51 Old 07-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Tirone

Did a mountain ride this weekend, Angeles crest Highway. About 30 miles each way.I was able to use 4th gear most of the time. I would not trade the mega mid range torque for more top end power i would seldom use. Cant have it both ways. My 2003 Z1000 had 126 rear wheel HP with a muzzy full system. Other owners always complained about the lack of mid range power .did a lot of shifting. I fueled up right before and after the ride .in 120 miles i used 2.3 gallons.

post #48 of 51 Old 07-23-2018, 05:07 AM
Discen

New record, for me. 281km (174mi) to the panic light. I thought it was broken.

That made 5.14 litres/100km = 55mpg.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #49 of 51 Old 12-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Tirone

50 - 55 mpg in the warm summer months, 45 - 50 during the off-season colder weather. I ride briskly mostly on 2 lane back country roads but no so brisk as to draw attention from enforcement folks.

post #50 of 51 Old 12-26-2018, 10:42 AM
Tirone

I have 0/-1 sprocket config on my 2007 Hornet. It is still fun to ride on twisties and no vibrations at 80 mph on expressway. With original gearing, I just couldn't take it. I am always between 40-45 MPG. Once i rode it with open bald tire from Wisconsin Dells back to Chicago. When doing 50-55 mph I averaged over 50 MPG. But who rides like that LOL.

post #51 of 51 Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 AM
Tirone

I was re-reading this post and remembered something one of the fuel systems engineers at the "Big" car company where I worked told me. He pointed out that using the brakes is a real negative for fuel economy. Look at it this way: The brakes convert kinetic energy (energy related to mass and velocity) to heat energy which then gets thrown away into the atmosphere. If you throw away this heat energy, then you have to replace it in order to keep moving on your journey. It gets replaced by the engine which converts fuel into mechanical energy. The more you use the brakes, the poorer your fuel economy so your riding style will have a great deal to do with the fuel economy you experience. Stop and go driving just kills fuel economy because you have to keep using the brakes to keep from smashing into the folks ahead of you. The electric and hybrid cars are more efficient because they don't throw away all of the kinetic energy but use the energy to partially recharge the battery. The hybrids show a much larger benefit in stop and go driving than they do at constant highway speed driving when compared with liquid fuel propelled vehicles because of this energy capture by the "braking" system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode