• 2 Post By nathanktm
  • 2 Post By IHellsent
  • 1 Post By LDH
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 19 Old 04-09-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Front Brake Squeal

I have tried cleaning the rotors, scuffing the rotors, scuffing the pads, still get the squeal. I am running OEM. Thoughts?

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
I have tried cleaning the rotors, scuffing the rotors, scuffing the pads, still get the squeal. I am running OEM. Thoughts?

When does the noise happen...at low speed - or high speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 19 Old 04-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Try adding copper anti seize where the brake pads rest on the caliper. Or any metal to metal contact. I also grease the slide pins with sil glyde. I also lube the back of the pads and clean the pistons.

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)

post #4 of 19 Old 04-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Centurion

Garage
How many kms on the bike? are they the original rotors?
I had a bad case of front rotor squeel and I had to change my rotors and pads. Silent as a mouse since then.

My rotors were original and had 50k+ on them. And while they still were in spec thickness wise I still couldn't solve the issue, so I changed them.
Not sure what's the frequency of rotor change but they should still be changed after a while, even if they're in spec.

post #5 of 19 Old 04-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I put grease on the rotors

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
badmoon692008 and ewmin3m like this.

post #6 of 19 Old 04-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Same, i also lube my tire for longer life.
badmoon692008 and ewmin3m like this.

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #7 of 19 Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have no clue if this would cause noise or not, but someone pointed out that the rotor actually float on rivets. The hollow plugs between where the pads hit and the rotor connects to the rim.

These are supposed to move and they usually don't. Someone posted a video where he put sprayed some brake cleaner in there and spun them with a bolt/nut combo.

post #8 of 19 Old 04-10-2017, 03:38 AM
919 Rider

Thanks for posting that video KarlJay. I'll confess that I didn't know those rivets are free spinning. I have cleaned them a hundred times. I went out and checked the ones on my bikes rotors and they are all "stuck". Looks like a job for the weekend.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-10-2017, 07:56 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Thanks for posting that video KarlJay. I'll confess that I didn't know those rivets are free spinning. I have cleaned them a hundred times. I went out and checked the ones on my bikes rotors and they are all "stuck". Looks like a job for the weekend.
The ones on a 919 aren't fully floating, and you likely won't be able to spin them with just your fingers whether they're clean or dirty. Cleaning them isn't a bad idea to try though.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 19 Old 04-10-2017, 08:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

One thing I'd be concerned about is that if they are soft metal and you use a lot of torque, you could screw those things up pretty easily. It reminds me that I really need to do a full clean up on my bike. I just did and oil change and it's really dirty down there. I tend to overlook those things.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-10-2017, 09:49 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

OEM brake pads too or are you running some crapass EBC type pads?
ewmin3m likes this.

post #12 of 19 Old 04-10-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Thanks for the input guys. I greased the pins when doing the brakes a couple months ago. Also put stuff on the back of the pads. @LDH, yes, they are OEM from the dealer. I like the Honda pads. They are great for my riding needs. The squealing happens at low speed, when coming to a stop. I would say the last 10-15mph with light brake application. The rotors are original (I assume) and the bike has roughly 36k miles. They seem true as there were no uneven wear spots, no pulsating either. And I took a micrometer to them when redoing the brakes and they are within spec.

-Michael Jordan
post #13 of 19 Old 04-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I greased the pins when doing the brakes a couple months ago. Also put stuff on the back of the pads. @LDH, yes, they are OEM from the dealer. I like the Honda pads. They are great for my riding needs. The squealing happens at low speed, when coming to a stop. I would say the last 10-15mph with light brake application. The rotors are original (I assume) and the bike has roughly 36k miles. They seem true as there were no uneven wear spots, no pulsating either. And I took a micrometer to them when redoing the brakes and they are within spec.

I know this is going to sound odd but check your fork tubes. I chased a similar issue for the first two years that I owned my 919. I replaced pads, rebuilt calipers, replaced rotors, etc. only to find out that one of my fork tubes was bent. Since I replaced the fork tube the issue has gone away. Good luck!

post #14 of 19 Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by txducman View Post
I know this is going to sound odd but check your fork tubes. I chased a similar issue for the first two years that I owned my 919. I replaced pads, rebuilt calipers, replaced rotors, etc. only to find out that one of my fork tubes was bent. Since I replaced the fork tube the issue has gone away. Good luck!

That actually doesn't sound odd. But, I also replaced the forks at the same time and the issue was occurring with the old pads and forks, and calipers. Only old item is rotor. I'll start there. That seems to be logical. I'll run a scotch rite pad and clean the floater ring things as best I can. Maybe I'll live with it. Still stops fine, just annoying.

-Michael Jordan
post #15 of 19 Old 08-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Tirone

Any luck on your front brake squeal? I have the same issues. Thanks your help would be appreciated.

post #16 of 19 Old 08-14-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm80 View Post
Any luck on your front brake squeal? I have the same issues. Thanks your help would be appreciated.

No. But truth be told, haven't really taken a deep dive except for a good cleaning. When I do the wheel swap I will make sure to clean the floating lugs on the new rotors.

-Michael Jordan
post #17 of 19 Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have a slight rear brake squeal. Also only during slow speeds in the last 10 mph or so when stopping. Haven't looked into it at all. I rarely use the rear brake anyway so it doesn't bother me much.

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
post #18 of 19 Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM
919 Rider

Found this. Some talk about brake squeal.
Most brake pads use some sort of shim or spring to stop the pad from oscillating,aka making noise. What generally causes the noise is a small amount of movement by the pad at a very high frequency. Manufacturers eliminate this with shims,springs or a soft material that acts as a dampener. It is possible that one of these has failed from time,use or enviromental exposure. Another possibility is the pads are contaminated with crap splashed up from the road. Or crap from bike. Also the pad material is a blend or compounds that offer different traits in terms of wear,stopping power,noise etc. You may have a pad in which the material was not blended evenly and you are encountering hard spots that is causing the squeal. I think pads can be removed and cleaned somehow?
TheScientist likes this.

post #19 of 19 Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Found this. Some talk about brake squeal.
Most brake pads use some sort of shim or spring to stop the pad from oscillating,aka making noise. What generally causes the noise is a small amount of movement by the pad at a very high frequency. Manufacturers eliminate this with shims,springs or a soft material that acts as a dampener. It is possible that one of these has failed from time,use or enviromental exposure. Another possibility is the pads are contaminated with crap splashed up from the road. Or crap from bike. Also the pad material is a blend or compounds that offer different traits in terms of wear,stopping power,noise etc. You may have a pad in which the material was not blended evenly and you are encountering hard spots that is causing the squeal. I think pads can be removed and cleaned somehow?
Some really good points above.
Further to them is the following.

My original 05 front pads had thermo insulated shims.
The shims also cut down on heat migration into the piston in an effort to reduce heat input into the brake fluid.
The thermo sheet was there for added effect re heat migration.

Also, for those viewing the floater buttons cleaning trick(s), keep in mind that not all rotors use round buttons.
There is at least one aftermarket manufacturer (EBC) that uses non-round buttons on at least some of their rotor designs.
Attempt to rotate one of those and you will destroy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode