Forks? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Fat guy on a little bike!

Forks?

Why is Honda so scared of inverted forks? EVERY other manufacturer has gone that way (for the right reasons or not) and now, the market seems to require it.

I mean, I look at a bike with standard forks and think that it was cobbled together from the "old parts" bin!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Gets censored

any bike in particular you're referencing?

post #3 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

See the new to the US CB1000R.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Le So Cal Troll

my dads 02 vtx1800 has usd forks.... i understand where ur commin from, but honda uses em on bikes that need em.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Because as long as people buy in to the Honda "quality and premium", there's no reason for them to use expensive or updated forks. Why models like the current generation VFR800's ever left the factory doors with the forks they did I don't know (they were quite expensive when released as well).
Even our 919's would most probably have sold better with USD forks. Not just for functionality, but just as equally for nice proportionate looks. The 919 looks great from the headstem backwards, but the front end looks very sad and aneamic, like its something that should belong on a 250, not a 919.
I dont care if the conventional forks they used instead works well or not, the front end look on a naked is very important and should fit the rest of the bike.

post #6 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
The Cripple

farab, interesting you say that cuz personally love the front end look (not counting the turn signals mind you). i think it's great. very clean, basic, and purely functional, just the way it should be.

edit: forgot to add: they COULD have used better materials for the triple trees though.... easily pitted and rust prone, grrr.

post #7 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 01:57 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
The 919 looks great from the headstem backwards, but the front end looks very sad and aneamic, like its something that should belong on a 250, not a 919.
I dont care if the conventional forks they used instead works well or not, the front end look on a naked is very important and should fit the rest of the bike.
I agree completely! So many people have told me that they like the bike but thought the front end looked weak and out of date.

I couldn't wait for Honda to build it so I did it myself.

post #8 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Quote:
The 919 looks great from the headstem backwards, but the front end looks very sad and aneamic, like its something that should belong on a 250, not a 919.

I agree completely! So many people have told me that they like the bike but thought the front end looked weak and out of date.

I really love that look. You did a hell of a job. Would like that on mine, but with the new penske and PCIII I am in to my bike for over $3000 already

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 03:09 PM
McTavish

RC51 forks with 954 rotors and adapted calipers was a thought I had. But I actually wanted the old school look and decided to stay with the old school tube up leg down arrangement. I also didn't see much point have the front end worlds away from the unlinked rear, and my front end works very well. If it wasn't for the GSX-R750 track bike (that ended up being an open sewer for $) that is also in the garage along with a gaggle of old CB750s begging my time and $, I think adapting a linked swingarm in plus doing a RC/954 front would be a nice addition to the current state of my 919 build.

post #10 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post

That's what I'm talking about! Good job!! Fits in with the rest of the 919's looks, IMO.

post #11 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 PM
McTavish

Quote:

This was very nicely done.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
See the new to the US CB1000R.
Wrong, it has inverted forks.

Frankly unless it is one of the hyper sports bikes they are probably nothing more than a fashion statement in real road riding conditions. Having said that is Hoyosung can put them on their cheap bikes (admittedly a fairly average set) then surely larger makers could.

That 9er does look mightly spunky though ....... ultimate 9er bling?

What I find surprisingly lacking in the motorcycle industry that happens in the car industry is the lack of anyting 'extra' at the end of a model run - cars tend to get upgraded with all the goodies on the last run - bikes - meh they just stay the same. Honda could of easily got a couple extra years out of the 9er with a set of USD forks, hotter motor (+10-15 hp) and mabe a style change with the cans or something.

post #13 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
my dads 02 vtx1800 has usd forks.... i understand where ur commin from, but honda uses em on bikes that need em.
So, a VTX needs USD forks but the 919, CBR1100XX, VFR800, 599, Goldwing, ST1300, Varadero, Crosstourer, Crossrunner, and the Deauville don't? Sorry, I'm confused.

As I understand it, regular forks are 100% as good as USD forks for everything except rigidity. Even though most riders will never need that extra rigidity, from a competitive sales perspective, they just make their bikes look dated.

Jeff
post #14 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
So, a VTX needs USD forks but the 919, CBR1100XX, VFR800, 599, Goldwing, ST1300, Varadero, Crosstourer, Crossrunner, and the Deauville don't? Sorry, I'm confused.

As I understand it, regular forks are 100% as good as USD forks for everything except rigidity. Even though most riders will never need that extra rigidity, from a competitive sales perspective, they just make their bikes look dated.

Fashion again on the VTX - give it a power cruiser look. Actually I find the USD forks on cruisers weird looking! You are right re rigidity - that was the original benefit with the fatter end in the yokes and the short skinny end down the bottom.

Here's a question - soon USD forks will be the norm or dominant fork style. At that point surely the USD fork is no longer considered up-side-down and normal. Thus the standard fork will then become a USD fork ........

post #15 of 17 Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Tony, where did you get those side panels?

Jeff
post #16 of 17 Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Hey Tony, where did you get those side panels?
Years ago, when I had my first 919, I found a company called Skyking Products that used to sell 919 accessories. I contacted them about the side panels and he told me he got them from a company in Italy, and if I wanted them I should probably order them since he only had one more set and the company had gone out of business.
Unfortunately, I've never seen them available anywhere else.
They were originally brushed aluminum but I had them powdercoated black.
The white plastic shows through the mesh so I need to find some way to cover the white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 919 002.jpg (120.5 KB, 16 views)

post #17 of 17 Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Bacon-powered

Quote:
Why is Honda so scared of inverted forks? EVERY other manufacturer has gone that way (for the right reasons or not) and now, the market seems to require it.

I mean, I look at a bike with standard forks and think that it was cobbled together from the "old parts" bin!
at least 4 out of 6 of the '11 sport bikes have inverted forks. Am I mistaken?

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode