Flat spot on center of tire - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Flat spot on center of tire

I noticed today my back tire on the 919 have a flat spot through the center of the tire, guy before me did a lot of highway riding, and this is mostly what I do commuting to work. I still have a decent amount of tread left, and the tire doesn't seem to be squared off too badly but it's defintely noticeable.

Is this pretty dangerous to ride with the flat spot, or am I pretty safe to ride these tires at least until the tread gets to the wear bars?

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
You're fine until the tread gets too low. You'll just have a harder time turning in and holding corners, not much though. But it will sure feel like heaven whenever you get a brand new tire.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
post #3 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
No Destination

I am in the exact same situation. My rear tire has the same thing going on because I too bought my 919 from a highway rider. It is no big deal until it gets to the rainy season... then obviously the lack of good tread down the center will affect the tire's grip in the rain. At that point I will be replacing mine because sticking to the road is a good thing! LOL

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 CSR (Cafe) (Sold)
1985 Honda Interceptor VF700F (Sold)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250R EX250F15 (Sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
1978 Suzuki GS750E
1981 Suzuki GS1000G (Cafe Project)
1983 Yamaha IT 490
2002 Honda 919/Hornet CB900F2
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R ZX636B1
Click here to find Beetle (Mr. B) on Facebook
Click here to watch Beetle (Mr. B) on YouTube

post #4 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Teen Wolf

word, last set i has i ran to the cords. when i got new ones omg ill never do that again

post #5 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

If you don't have any lines on the center part of the tire, it means you'll have zero traction in rain.

I've run mine down super low but when its low I always ALWAYS avoid rain.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
If you don't have any lines on the center part of the tire, it means you'll have zero traction in rain.

I've run mine down super low but when its low I always ALWAYS avoid rain.
I still have some tread in the center, it's squared off though. Not as much tread as the sides obviously but there is a little left.

Now I will try and avoid the rain, I've ridden it in the rain twice so far, and I took it easy with no problems. But I don't wanna push my luck, I think I used most of it up already (see avatar)

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #7 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 05:17 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
You're fine until the tread gets too low. You'll just have a harder time turning in and holding corners, not much though. But it will sure feel like heaven whenever you get a brand new tire.
+1!

post #8 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i have the exact opposite problem... i usually run outta tread in the meat of the sides before the center haha.

but ya unless your at the wear bars or less... ur fine.

post #9 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

As others said you should be fine down to the wear bars. Keep a good eye on them though. It seems like that last little bit goes fast.

post #10 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Appreciate the info guys. I'll plan on buying a set of tires this winter. Thinking about some Michelin Pilot Road 2's.
The ones on there now are Power's but I'll be doing a lot more commuting and only the twisties from time to time so I wanna try to get more tread life.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #11 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

The wear bars are there for a reason.
It's the only thing between you and the road surface.
Trying to get the last piece of meat out of "Bologna Skins" is foolish.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #12 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Appreciate the info guys. I'll plan on buying a set of tires this winter. Thinking about some Michelin Pilot Road 2's.
The ones on there now are Power's but I'll be doing a lot more commuting and only the twisties from time to time so I wanna try to get more tread life.
road 2's or road 3's... great all around tires for the commuter / weekend twisty rider.

post #13 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

And it's amazing how thin the carcass is. We replaced my buddy's PR2 that was starting to show cords, I'm betting the center only had about 3mm of thickness.
As DocL said, the wearbars are there for a reason. My buddy saw that the cords started to show, then gingerly rode home the last 120 miles or so, and it was a ticking time bomb. Of course we didn't realize this until we took the tire off.

post #14 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
i have the exact opposite problem... i usually run outta tread in the meat of the sides before the center haha.

but ya unless your at the wear bars or less... ur fine.
Brag, brag, brag

I hope you realize how lucky you are to have nice, tight twisties to ride every day!

post #15 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
Brag, brag, brag

I hope you realize how lucky you are to have nice, tight twisties to ride every day!
whats wrong? next your going to tell me you cant ride in the winter either

The set of pilot road 2's i ran i wore the sides out probably 3-4k miles before the center... since i have switched to power 2ct's i get MUCH more even wear thanks to a different compound layout and softer compound.

BUT if i did any ammount of commuting on my bike... Road 2's / 3's would be the tire of choice.

post #16 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Left of Centre

I didn't realize how squared off my old tyre was till I put on the new one- transformed the handling, made holding lines in corners so much better, it was all good news. Forget the extra few miles, man, change it now and get back a ride you can enjoy!

post #17 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Le So Cal Troll

oh ya... ud be surprised what the difference in a profile change on a tire does!

the difference between say pilot road 2's and power 2ct's brand new is quite nutz.

post #18 of 24 Old 09-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
As others said you should be fine down to the wear bars. Keep a good eye on them though. It seems like that last little bit goes fast.
My CBR was flat in the middle. Tread one day and noticed the wear bars after a ride the next

Quote:
whats wrong? next your going to tell me you cant ride in the winter either
NO, you wheelie poppin little bastard, we can't!! That's why we have things like this.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml#post469647

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #19 of 24 Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
oh ya... ud be surprised what the difference in a profile change on a tire does!

the difference between say pilot road 2's and power 2ct's brand new is quite nutz.

Will the pilot roads really last that much longer than the power 2ct's?

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #20 of 24 Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

What has been stated on this forum is that the PP2CT is simply a PP with an even softer compound on the outside. So the middle is still a soft PP.

The PR's are a different longer lasting compound entirely. Least that's the word on the street.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #21 of 24 Old 10-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Tirone

Having ridden with pp's, pp2ct's and pr2's on my 919 I can say the road 2's will last longer than the powers but the front likes to cup when pushed. At first I thought it was just me pushing too hard since I had road 2's on and did a couple trackdays with them (worked quite well by the way, other than the cupping issue). I'm on my second set now and they're doing the same thing even though they've never seen the track. I do mostly mountain road riding on that bike though so it's still subjected to fast tight corners and reasonably heavy acceleration. They're plenty sticky for that sort of thing but with only a couple thousand miles on them they are noticeably cupped and will probably get replaced next year despite having quite a bit of meat left on them. A buddy of mine has a bmw that he had the road 2's on as well and they did the same thing. He's since switched to road 3's and so far is loving them so i think that's the direction I'm going to go next time.

post #22 of 24 Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
McTavish

It's really too bad that modern tires are the way they are.
They stick in the hot, the cold, the wet, the dry, last reasonably well for the level of performance that they yield.
But, like any MC tire of any era, too many miles straight up really squares off the rears.
But the very rubber composition that makes them work so well, is very counter productive if one tries to reshape them to get rid of the squaring.
For that reason, I really liked my old school tires of the 70s.
In comparative terms, they did not really stick, and they didn't last all that long.
BUT it was ever so easy to reshape a squared off rear with a body file.
That ancient old school carbon black based rubber would shear off real nice.
Set it up on the centre stand, put on the throttle lock, and let her run in 1st gear at 2500 or so revs.
In short order, a nicely shaped rear tire again.
(Remembering always to work the file in a "pull" mode and never "push" - rather a deadly rocket if it grabbed and got away on you)
In reality, I most happily accept that I can't reshape my modern era incredibly good rears as they square.
However, I have found that lots of track miles does a wonderful job of preventing squaring from occurring.
So, I strongly recommend the prevention method.

post #23 of 24 Old 10-03-2011, 02:58 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

The number one cause of getting a flattened off center is not usually actual highway miles. It comes from engine compression braking on downshifts. If you want to see it for yourself the next time you are coming off an interstate exit ramp bang each downshift and dump the clutch hard so you get that Brrrraaaaapppppp, Braaaaaappppp, braaaaappp sound each time letting the engine rev down and when you get to the stop at the end of the off ramp, pull over and get a good look at the center of your tire and there will be tiny little rolls of rubber all the way around the tire that have peeled up backwards from the tire being used as a brake from the engine compression.

If you drive away without looking at the tire the small rolls of rubber will be ground off the tire before you can view them...

post #24 of 24 Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
Gahhh...I'm starting to get a flat spot on my tire. I think I have too much fun accelerating/engine braking...not enough corners haha.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode