First Track Day on my 919 - Wrist Twisters
 19Likes
  • 6 Post By ProjectConnie
  • 2 Post By TwistedKestrel
  • 1 Post By ProjectConnie
  • 2 Post By ProjectConnie
  • 3 Post By LDH
  • 1 Post By ProjectConnie
  • 1 Post By ProjectConnie
  • 3 Post By mcromo44
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ProjectConnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
First Track Day on my 919

Finally got to take my 919 on the track this summer, (it as also my first track day ever)! For anyone who is wanting to do it, please do. It was the best day of my life! Can't wait to put some more bits and bobs on my bike and get it more prepped for the track next season

Here's some photos for your viewing pleasure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 8.15.44 AM.jpg (99.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.12.00 AM.jpg (153.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.11.49 AM.jpg (130.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg low copy.jpg (153.9 KB, 31 views)
LDH, firedave, mcromo44 and 3 others like this.

ProjectConnie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 10:24 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,501
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Nice and Welcome to my world sir!

LDH is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 11:23 AM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,151
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectConnie View Post
Finally got to take my 919 on the track this summer, (it as also my first track day ever)! For anyone who is wanting to do it, please do. It was the best day of my life! Can't wait to put some more bits and bobs on my bike and get it more prepped for the track next season

Here's some photos for your viewing pleasure
Great to see!
Have fun next season.

Is the header a 900RR conversion, or something else?

mcromo44 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 1
 
This year was also my first real track day on my 919! (Video below is not very exciting and has terrible sound, be warned)

Norton919 and mcromo44 like this.

TwistedKestrel is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 03:51 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,151
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
This year was also my first real track day on my 919! (Video below is not very exciting and has terrible sound, be warned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GYfDYOWb0
You were smooth.
There were a couple of very ruff riders ahead of you, to the point that they should have been batched and paced separately by a lead rider.
There's tonnes of "room" left in the 919 for you to grow into and exploit.
Your temp gauge looked high for the average power level you were at.
Maybe it was just the camera angle, or the time taken to get to your stall.
Was it a hot day?
If freezing is not a concern, try 10% glycol with 90% water along with Water Wetter.
The next step is to remove the fan, which is a restriction device at speed that only rears its head at high average power levels.
(please keep in mind that my experience is with thin dry air)

mcromo44 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
You were smooth.
There were a couple of very ruff riders ahead of you, to the point that they should have been batched and paced separately by a lead rider.
There's tonnes of "room" left in the 919 for you to grow into and exploit.
Your temp gauge looked high for the average power level you were at.
Maybe it was just the camera angle, or the time taken to get to your stall.
Was it a hot day?
If freezing is not a concern, try 10% glycol with 90% water along with Water Wetter.
The next step is to remove the fan, which is a restriction device at speed that only rears its head at high average power levels.
(please keep in mind that my experience is with thin dry air)
It was 32C, that is blisteringly hot for me! Warm enough that I was using that little square board so the centre stand wouldn't leave impressions in the asphalt. The organizers of this track day required 100% water, though I did add a surfactant (MoCool). I think the temp stayed within acceptable limits for the day. We were all in green group, so I don't hold anything against anybody. If I was trailing someone that was slower for a while, I would just turn out into the pits to create some space. That was only one session of many, I tried to take it easier and not succumb to the psychological impact of having the camera on :P. I did pick it up a *little* in earlier & later sessions but not pictured is me blowing a turn or two completely. Thankfully the grass areas are nice and flat there, it stayed shiny side up the whole day.

It absolutely can go much faster, actually I was surprised at how well the bike worked as a whole on track. Brakes felt good, stock suspension felt good (disclaimer: I am a VERY light person, I know the original fork springs are considered soft for most) and it sounded happy. Even felt like I could get a good riding position... except the footpeg positions are definitely a bit low for this sort of activity. I was either dragging the peg feelers or my toes, can't say I'm sure which lol. I would absolutely take it back again, definitely the most fun I had all year.

TwistedKestrel is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ProjectConnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Great to see!
Have fun next season.

Is the header a 900RR conversion, or something else?
Yes it is! Straight back to the muffler from the headers too
Love the sound and the look of it. Best part is no need for a power commander since these bikes run rich from the factory

Cheers, and ride safe!
rufftup likes this.

ProjectConnie is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ProjectConnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
It was 32C, that is blisteringly hot for me! Warm enough that I was using that little square board so the centre stand wouldn't leave impressions in the asphalt. The organizers of this track day required 100% water, though I did add a surfactant (MoCool). I think the temp stayed within acceptable limits for the day. We were all in green group, so I don't hold anything against anybody. If I was trailing someone that was slower for a while, I would just turn out into the pits to create some space. That was only one session of many, I tried to take it easier and not succumb to the psychological impact of having the camera on :P. I did pick it up a *little* in earlier & later sessions but not pictured is me blowing a turn or two completely. Thankfully the grass areas are nice and flat there, it stayed shiny side up the whole day.

It absolutely can go much faster, actually I was surprised at how well the bike worked as a whole on track. Brakes felt good, stock suspension felt good (disclaimer: I am a VERY light person, I know the original fork springs are considered soft for most) and it sounded happy. Even felt like I could get a good riding position... except the footpeg positions are definitely a bit low for this sort of activity. I was either dragging the peg feelers or my toes, can't say I'm sure which lol. I would absolutely take it back again, definitely the most fun I had all year.
Sounds like a similar day for me too! I was 35c outside so the s22's turned to goop pretty quick. I kept dragging toe as well. I just took my bike off the road for the next couple seasons and am turning it into a track weapon so I tossed clip ons on it and I'm going to get some brackets made up to reposition the rearsets. Loved the power of the bike, just wish the brakes weren't so wooden once they heated up... But can't wait to dial the bike. I as well am light so once I cranked the stiffness on the springs it was pretty solid only felt it start to slide out once when I accidentally dropped 3 gears instead of two into a hairpin
rufftup and TwistedKestrel like this.

ProjectConnie is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ProjectConnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Nice and Welcome to my world sir!
Cheers! Thanks man. I love it, just dirt and track for me now!

ProjectConnie is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 11-12-2020, 05:31 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectConnie View Post
Sounds like a similar day for me too! I was 35c outside so the s22's turned to goop pretty quick. I kept dragging toe as well. I just took my bike off the road for the next couple seasons and am turning it into a track weapon so I tossed clip ons on it and I'm going to get some brackets made up to reposition the rearsets. Loved the power of the bike, just wish the brakes weren't so wooden once they heated up... But can't wait to dial the bike. I as well am light so once I cranked the stiffness on the springs it was pretty solid only felt it start to slide out once when I accidentally dropped 3 gears instead of two into a hairpin
The pads I was using felt pretty good, I don't think they're stock but I've never pulled them to check. Definitely have had worse in different bikes. Could take a look if you're interested! I was running Rosso IIIs and they were getting a little melty but I think I may have been running them at too low of a pressure. They at least felt great the whole day!

What year is yours? Do you have the semi-adjustable forks and shock?

TwistedKestrel is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 11-13-2020, 09:37 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,501
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
I was running Rosso IIIs and they were getting a little melty but I think I may have been running them at too low of a pressure.

What pressures were you running?

LDH is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 11-13-2020, 10:00 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
What pressures were you running?
32/32... funnily enough I had thought I had done a good, thorough job of getting my bike prepared for the track but I had completely forgot about tire pressure, I showed up with 36/42 and realized that while I was unloading everything - I didn't even do any research into what they should be. The organizers seemed pretty chill so I asked them for a ballpark, that was what they said and it didn't seem too crazy so I thought I would try that. THEN it turns out the bicycle pump I had grabbed and threw in the box was busted, so I borrowed one from another guy I had helped unload a bike earlier.

I feel like I know very little about how to tune tire pressure, I thought that under the same conditions I would try 32/34. I have a picture of how it looked afterwards but I'm not sure what the best way to include pictures on this particular forum

TwistedKestrel is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 11-13-2020, 10:12 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,501
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I'm in a bit of a hurry so please do not take my curtness as anything less than helpful in nature.


That's a bit high 29F/28R cold would likely suit you a bit better.


Here is a little cut & paste from one of my sites that will also be very useful in this context
Quote:
42 & 36 PSI are the max psi ratings for the tire. That means it is maximum pressure you should run in those tires for carrying the maximum load they are rated for. If you are not carrying the maximum load of the tires then reasonably lower pressures will offer you a better ride and more traction in all conditions.



Last, You can buy any gauge you want from $2 to $600, but if you don't at the very least check the calibration against a verified source you have no idea if it is accurate or not nor do you know if it is consistent. What that means is that it is not enough for the gauge to be accurate at 20psi, but it also has to be accurate at 24psi and 30psi etc. Sometimes they simply aren't...

I live in a world at the track where 1-2 psi can be the difference between a tire that lasts for a few laps or one that lasts for a few weekends. I have seen $12 Accu-gauge branded products produce consistent results for 2 decades and I have seen $450 liquid filled gauges be 6lbs off right out of the box.

You have to test them against a known pressure source. I mean it is no problem to use a gauge that reads 2lbs high as long as you know it always reads 2lbs high, but simply trusting a gauge without any type of verification is risk I am not willing to take and you shouldn't either. Every weekend I work at the racetrack tuning suspension I get at least 3-4 riders coming up to me with what they think is a suspension issue based on poor tire wear and when it turns out to be an incorrect tire pressure they are almost always flabbergasted. Never underestimate the value of an accurate and consistent tire gauge.

mcromo44, Dario_hawk and rufftup like this.

LDH is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 11-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Tesserarius
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 783
Rep Power: 1
 
The 919 was a good track bike for me, and my fairly modest skill level. I remember spinning up the rear tire coming out of a corner. No drama. I didn't land on my head. Good ol 919 got me home in one piece in spite of myself. Great memories.

Sniper-x is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 11-18-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ProjectConnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
The pads I was using felt pretty good, I don't think they're stock but I've never pulled them to check. Definitely have had worse in different bikes. Could take a look if you're interested! I was running Rosso IIIs and they were getting a little melty but I think I may have been running them at too low of a pressure. They at least felt great the whole day!

What year is yours? Do you have the semi-adjustable forks and shock?
It's an 07 919, I have the adjustable forks and shock. I ended up getting the front tuned by a local shop owner who was there with me at the time of racing.
I was on Bridgestone s22's. As a beginner track rider / intermediate street rider with a love for pushing it in the corners they were fantastic tires, I felt them slip a couple times but only on the rear with heavy acceleration out of a highspeed corner at lean.

for anyone who's curious I'm about 5'10-11 and I weigh 150ish.
I was running 30psi front and 31 rear at the start of the day, around 28c then by the end of the day I was dropping the pressures every session and coming back in after a 20min session with pressures around 34-35 psi.

Definitely need to tune the rear better though, I think it's a little to reboundy.

Alll in all, fantastic day, fantastic bike, and I can't wait for more!
TwistedKestrel likes this.

ProjectConnie is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 11-18-2020, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ProjectConnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
The 919 was a good track bike for me, and my fairly modest skill level. I remember spinning up the rear tire coming out of a corner. No drama. I didn't land on my head. Good ol 919 got me home in one piece in spite of myself. Great memories.
Same here, I loved every second. The 100km trek too and from with a camping chair and 10L of gas on the bike though... I would not recommend
mcromo44 likes this.

ProjectConnie is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 11-18-2020, 05:15 PM
Tesserarius
 
PHOBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Posts: 797
Rep Power: 1
 
Next time ride in the powerband, not below it!

PHOBMAN is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,151
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
Next time ride in the powerband, not below it!
Everyone starts from somewhere.......................and the somewhere is a huge variable.
He had fun, kept the "rubber down and the bubble up", stayed within his limits, and likely didn't disrupt or impact any other riders.
That is a very successful first outing in my book.
Who knows how much he'll improve the second time and onwards.
LDH, Dario_hawk and Jamesbuck like this.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 11-19-2020, 06:04 PM
Tesserarius
 
nathanktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Floral Park
Posts: 730
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Every time I thought that the honda 919 needed some upgrade to go faster, I was wrong. Aside from some better pads and fluid, it's a ripper in totally bone stock form, on street tires. It's honestly incredible just how fast street tires are. On a track that isn't high speed, you can definitely get yourself to the sharp edge of an expert group, on road tires with a stock 919. You'll have to be a jedi, though. The problem is that I know it doesn't crash very well and I don't wanna yardsale my 919 just yet. Much more willing to push on an expendable track bike, which i now have lol

nathanktm is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 11-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Tesserarius
 
PHOBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Posts: 797
Rep Power: 1
 
I thought he would welcome advice!

PHOBMAN is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome