Everyday riding position? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Lord 'a mercy...

Everyday riding position?

So, I've been riding for four years now, but not enough that I don't still feel like a beginner in my level of skill. No track days under my belt, and I definitely haven't been out enough this season yet. Mostly commute riding and I have a couple longer rides planned (a Milwaukee to Minneapolis ride, then off to the Badlands).

Here's the thing--I don't feel quite right/comfortable on the bike, and I don't know what would make it better. I am a hair over 6'2" about 185-190 lbs.

I was feeling like I can't scoot back far enough on the seat--like if I sit up, my arms are too straight and rigid, but if I lean forward, there's too much weight on the bars. I feel like I want to lean forward and scoot my butt back(so that the seat takes more of my weight off the bars) but I can't go back far enough, is my torso just too long to ride a motorcycle? I just got that sweet corbin seat from beefsalad, but it seems to feel roughly the same.

I guess my real question is what kind of adjustments would you all suggest? Bar risers, LOWER bars, rearsets?
ANy other tall dudes got some tips?
Like the look of the Thar bars--would that help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 AM
MSF blacksheep

Renthal ultra low bars will help and ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs. It will help you carry more weight with your legs and make you feel more humble on the bike.

post #3 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Lord 'a mercy...

Thanks Bueller.

After posting this I wanted to acknowledge that I know there are a lot of posts on accessories, but specific tips/suggestions for tall guys (like above) is what I'm after.

post #4 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 07:23 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

There are some 'tall guy' tips on here somewhere. I believe some have used Buell pegs to lower them a bit. Before you go out buying new bars and whatnot, try adjusting what you have. I'm 6'0" and find the bike in stock form is super comfortable. I rotated the bars front to back to my liking, adjusted the controls down a bit to keep my wrists straight, and removed my windscreen. All those combined have made my 919 pretty comfortable.

Like Bueller said, keep the balls of your feet on the pegs and squeeze with your legs when you need additional support (stopping). When cruising, the air against your chest should keep the the weight off your arms.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Princeps Prior

I never felt quit right with the oem footpegs.....they're pretty far forward (sportbike wise anyway). I would try the SW mech adjustable footpegs.... Which will go lower and back.

As far as pressure on the bars.....I've learned over the years, to be quick in the twisties you need that pressure. If all you do is tour, it won't matter much.

I'd also recommend dumping your stock bars.....installing a Renthal Ultra low (straighter bar). Then maybe pick up a set of SW motech risers......which will give you an aggressive setup and a touring setup with minimal wrenching.

Yep......you need to be on the balls of your feet.

post #6 of 23 Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
I never felt quit right with the oem footpegs.....they're pretty far forward (sportbike wise anyway).
I would try the SW mech adjustable footpegs.... Which will go lower and back.

I'd also recommend dumping your stock bars.....installing a Renthal Ultra low (straighter bar).

Then maybe pick up a set of SW motech risers......which will give you an aggressive setup and a touring setup with minimal wrenching.

Yep......you need to be on the balls of your feet.
What are the SW's you referred to?
Back and Down capability ?

Echo echo

Excellent idea.

Long distance on the balls is absolute agony for me and my knees.
I find I can relax more overall if I have the pegs under the foot just ahead of where a boot heel is or would be.
The only time I ever got away from that basic foot position is either to take a break on a longer ride or when I'm on the track.

post #7 of 23 Old 07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Tesserarius

Im 6'1" and like the feel of the Renthal Mids...I also added a corbin seat which scoots you back another few inches for long armed guys..

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #8 of 23 Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Lord 'a mercy...

Thanks, I will look into those additions. I've got the Corbin, so we'll see how that does on my way to the Badlands.
What about back posture? I feel like I don't have the best posture in normal life--what should I be shooting for on the bike? Straight back all the time? Hunched? Should my elbows be even with or below the bars (I read that somewhere)?
In various riding postures (i.e., commuting, highway, aggressive/twisties) what muscle groups do you notice engaging when? How are you holding the bulk of your weight? Are you using primarily your back muscles, pinching the tank with your thighs, supporting with your arms? Any more so than the other depending on the attitude of the ride?

I feel like this is stuff I should know, but I am afraid of continuing to develop bad habits having no one ever actually tell me. There are surprisingly few resources online regarding proper everyday riding posture.

Thanks, this is helpful.

post #9 of 23 Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Discen

legs and stomach and keep the weight off your arms/bars

post #10 of 23 Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Discen

and have a read of this http://tinyurl.com/5d7s7x a few tips on posture in there

post #11 of 23 Old 07-03-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Lord 'a mercy...

Sweet, thanks for the link, dave. Looking forward to checking it out (entirely too much 4th of July prep going on around here, not nearly enough bike time).

post #12 of 23 Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

If you're on the flats, no issues about foot placement. Put them where it's comfy. I rotate between up on the sliders to back on the passenger pegs (I can even flip them out with my foot while riding, lol).

I do it just to stretch my legs on freeway rides. But if you're going to be cornering or hitting the twisties? That's when you change it up and go balls on the pegs, a bit more forward (I get better feel from the bars this way) and grip the tank with the legs.

I did get some Rizoma bars as well, helped a lot! I thought the stock bars were too far rotated in (like what happens to your wrists on a straight keyboard, not the ergonomic ones that rotate them back out towards the direction of your elbows).

I have a corbin as well, and since it's an inch or two higher than the stock seat, it helps keep the annoyance down in the knees. I'm 6'2", 165lbs.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Hey Guys I can you explain to me why your saying the balls of your feet?

It just seems from a biomechanichal perspective the more mass in front of you pulling your center of gravity forward the more your going to displace backward.

The legs up and back will push the body forward on to the arms and the legs forward and low push the body back?

post #14 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmith View Post
Hey Guys I can you explain to me why your saying the balls of your feet?

It just seems from a biomechanichal perspective the more mass in front of you pulling your center of gravity forward the more your going to displace backward.

The legs up and back will push the body forward on to the arms and the legs forward and low push the body back?
That's all fine and dandy until you tear your foot off dropping it low in a corner. It's a safety concern

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #15 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
50'S RIDER

I'm 6'-2.....180..........I use Ultra Lows and Sato rearsets...set full up and back..It works for me, I feel much more in control in the twisties and its not bad on highway......also agree on balls of feet when riding to the agressive side.

post #16 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 AM
duc duc GOOSE!

6'5 here! i have renthal UL, would like to add an inch or 2 in the seat, i am gernally pretty comfy save for a numb after 30 mins with the stock seat.

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #17 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
That's all fine and dandy until you tear your foot off dropping it low in a corner. It's a safety concern
Exactly, that's why when on the flats, put 'em wherever.

You catch a toe in a corner, though, and you'll quickly learn your foot was too far forward/down. Don't leave that left toe under the shifter!!!! (don't ask me how I know).

Now for dirt riding, I ALWAYS keep my feet slightly back on the pegs, mostly due to hidden rocks behind bushes, sagebrush, etc. If it snags your boot, it just pulls it back and the footpeg swings out of the way, but if your foot goes UNDER the footpeg, it can hurt. Again, don't ask.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #18 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
L.O.L :-D
I get that. What about not in the twistes or riping it up. Like daily commuting.

Has any one tryied putting on crash bars then mounting Highway pegs?

post #19 of 23 Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsmith View Post
L.O.L :-D
I get that. What about not in the twistes or riping it up. Like daily commuting.

Has any one tryied putting on crash bars then mounting Highway pegs?
yup. got givi crash bars mounted along with a set of cheapo ebay frame sliders mounted along with em (took some grinding off of the plastic for it to fit close to the givi bars). works great.

post #20 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Papa Bear

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
yup. got givi crash bars mounted along with a set of cheapo ebay frame sliders mounted along with em (took some grinding off of the plastic for it to fit close to the givi bars). works great.

Thanks Pvster I will have to check that out.
What or where how? did you mount the Highway pegs and do you have any Pics?

post #21 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
The Cripple

first i mounted the givi bars, and then i mounted the cheap-o sliders where they normally would be mounted, on the engine mounts.

generally this is a big no no but since i have the givi crash bars on and they stick out farther than the cheap-o sliders, should be ok. i'll have to get some pix for sure.

post #22 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
doesn't speak for me

I am 6' 3" and have the stock bars, seat, and pegs. For cruising / commuting I sit as far back on the seat as I can and try to keep my back straight using my legs and core to hold my position. No weight on wrists or arms. I also keep the pegs just in front of the heel of my boot to get to the rear brake / shifter faster.

I go up to the balls of my feet for more spirited riding or if I am about to turn sharply, I've dragged a boot just making a left at a 90 degree intersection... Lesson learned.

The stock seat likes to make me hump the tank on deceleration, use your legs / core to prevent that or correct it after, not your arms as that can destablize the bars. Sometimes I'll slide forward on the seat before cornering to allow more grip on the tank with my outside leg as I hang off to the inside. I go by feel and often times my mood when I'm riding.

I would recommend reading a book on riding like Twist of the Wrist by Code or Proficient Motorcycling by Hough. I am pretty sure both cover body positioning. It's been a while since I've read either of them though.

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #23 of 23 Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Lord 'a mercy...

Thanks for the description, Orange.
I have Proficient Motorcycling--good book. Haven't looked at in in a while and my pops has it at the moment.
I just did a 4 day ride from the Twin Cities to the Badlands to the Black Hills and back. I think just being on the bike that long, I started to re-acclimate. The Corbin seat was a godsend. Otherwise I felt pretty comfortable all the way around--granted, when I wasn't blowing down the highway trying to get there/get home, I was doing some spirited riding on some sweet roads (will post pics soon). I guess commuting riding I find the least comfortable. Perhaps I need to work on properly holding myself up. I find that in order to do that, I put the balls of my feet on the pegs and push my knees up into the underside of the tank flare (flexing my calves) to give me leverage to hold my torso up. Make sense? Is that how you all get leverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I am 6' 3" and have the stock bars, seat, and pegs. For cruising / commuting I sit as far back on the seat as I can and try to keep my back straight using my legs and core to hold my position. No weight on wrists or arms. I also keep the pegs just in front of the heel of my boot to get to the rear brake / shifter faster.

I go up to the balls of my feet for more spirited riding or if I am about to turn sharply, I've dragged a boot just making a left at a 90 degree intersection... Lesson learned.

The stock seat likes to make me hump the tank on deceleration, use your legs / core to prevent that or correct it after, not your arms as that can destablize the bars. Sometimes I'll slide forward on the seat before cornering to allow more grip on the tank with my outside leg as I hang off to the inside. I go by feel and often times my mood when I'm riding.

I would recommend reading a book on riding like Twist of the Wrist by Code or Proficient Motorcycling by Hough. I am pretty sure both cover body positioning. It's been a while since I've read either of them though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode