Emergency flashers - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Emergency flashers

Personally, I think every street legal bike entering the US should have them. It's not that much weight to put a switch and flasher relay to set all four turn signals flashing. Some bikes have it, most don't. I'm not talking about it being retroactive, but I would like to see it required from this point on.

It may be something the owner chooses to remove/bypass, but I've seen what it's like to have them on a bike, especially in a heavy downpour/approaching an accident situation, etc. Myself, I like to be seen.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

You know. I thought about that same thing a few weeks ago when I saw someone around here with hazard lights flashing on their bike. I think it was a BMW bike.

Honestly, I've had a handful of occasions where I would have used that.

My helmet has a light bar on the back that can either be flashing slow, flashing fast, or on solid. I've used that.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yep, BMW and Triumph to name a few have it as stock on some bikes. It really grabs your attention.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I have used it a few times, its a handy feature.

post #5 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I thought about this issue when I first started riding long distance. So I carry on the bike one of those mtn climber led headlamps. It doubles as a work light when you gotta troubleshoot in the dark and also works as a super bright strobe if you ever get stuck on the side of a road.

Also a cheap strobe would do the job. Like this

post #6 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You have them on your niner, farab?

How hard is it to shade tree one?

post #7 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
I thought about this issue when I first started riding long distance. So I carry on the bike one of those mtn climber led headlamps. It doubles as a work light when you gotta troubleshoot in the dark and also works as a super bright strobe if you ever get stuck on the side of a road.

Also a cheap strobe would do the job. Like this
Nice, but I'm not only talking about when you're broke down. Being able to turn your signals into flashers when moving down the highway is a really nice feature.

post #8 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Oh, misunderstood ya. Yea, that'd be nice.

post #9 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Don't get me started on self-cancelling turn signals. My '83 Virago had them. They weren't timed, they self-cancelled based on distance from turn on. It can't be that difficult with 2010 technology.

I think the sportbike market has gotten the shaft in a few areas. These are a couple that come to mind.

Did I say how much I like cruise control? It's nothing but programming and a switch on a fly-by-wire throttle control bike.

post #10 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Oh man, cruise control would be real nice. I know they have those mechanical cruise controls you bolt onto your handlebar/bar-end (throttle miester I think). I've thought about installing one on the 9er, but then I don't know if that's a good idea if for some reason you gotta work the brake in a hurry.

One of my buddies has a newer GSXR 600 and he has a flasher for his headlights that came stock with the bike. He says it's for passing cars, when you need to have extra visibility. I don't see why they didn't put a toggle switch instead of push-button. First thing I thought that came into mind when I saw it, if it were MY bike, I'd run that to an on/off switch and run them all day(time).

post #11 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
919lover

That would be nice....any ideas on installing flashers on the 9er(probably should be in the Aftermarket thread) I would love to put it on mine.

post #12 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 06:07 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Kisan makes a replacement flasher I've been thinking about buying, it has the hazard flasher feature, I think you have to push right three times in a row and all four signals flash. It has a programmable cancelation feature for the turn signals also.

post #13 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

My boulevard has a hazard light switch and a headlight flasher.

Seems like whim on the 9er every time I think it might come in handy.

post #14 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Milites Gregarius

My 2009 Bandit has hazard flashers and a headlight " flash to pass " button stock.
It is a Canadian model. Not sure if all markets have it.

Jeff

09 Bandit 1250
post #15 of 49 Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Cornicen

Our japan-market 919's here have a hazard/flasher button. It can be overused by some riders, but a good feature to have, none theless.

post #16 of 49 Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Le So Cal Troll

it would be VERY easy to implement... one would just need to add a switch between the left and right blinker wires up in the headlight... break the connection when normal turn signal operation is needed... flip the switch and hit either left or right turn signal and all 4 would light up in unison.... shit, now that i think of it... thats gonna be my next mod.

post #17 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Personally, I think every street legal bike entering the US should have them. It's not that much weight to put a switch and flasher relay to set all four turn signals flashing. Some bikes have it, most don't. I'm not talking about it being retroactive, but I would like to see it required from this point on.

It may be something the owner chooses to remove/bypass, but I've seen what it's like to have them on a bike, especially in a heavy downpour/approaching an accident situation, etc. Myself, I like to be seen.
That not a bad idea, Jim.

The last time I went to AZ. I saw a guy off to the right, leaning way over the front of his bike trying to take weight off the rear tire that was slowly going flat. It was 4:00am and still dark out. I was going about 80 and was nearly on top of him by the time I saw his bike.

....And yes, I stopped and helped. I always keep a couple of sets of tiedowns and a ramp in my truck, especially when traveling, so I pulled over and offered to give him a ride into Phoenix.

Professional
post #18 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I guess this is one where Harley has a one up on us?

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #19 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
it would be VERY easy to implement... one would just need to add a switch between the left and right blinker wires up in the headlight... break the connection when normal turn signal operation is needed... flip the switch and hit either left or right turn signal and all 4 would light up in unison.... shit, now that i think of it... thats gonna be my next mod.
i got to thinking and you would also have to disconnect the always on 12v wire for the running lights of the blinkers. cus if you didnt you would get one of the front blinkers with the running light on lol.

needless to say it would be a DPDT (dual pole dual throw switch) that you would setup to when switched on to flasher mode, it would connect the left and right blinker wires, and disconnect the constant on 12v line for the running lights.

ill put up a lil thread tutorial thing on how to do it when i get to it.

post #20 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
i got to thinking and you would also have to disconnect the always on 12v wire for the running lights of the blinkers. cus if you didnt you would get one of the front blinkers with the running light on lol.

needless to say it would be a DPDT (dual pole dual throw switch) that you would setup to when switched on to flasher mode, it would connect the left and right blinker wires, and disconnect the constant on 12v line for the running lights.

ill put up a lil thread tutorial thing on how to do it when i get to it.
DO IT!

post #21 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Kisan makes a replacement flasher I've been thinking about buying, it has the hazard flasher feature, I think you have to push right three times in a row and all four signals flash. It has a programmable cancelation feature for the turn signals also.
I've considered that Kisan unit. The install instructions seem pretty straightforward.

post #22 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
DO IT!
will do... i think thats gonna be my bike mod of the week.... o wait already did 2 others this week... eh o well haha. I think i have the right switch around here somewhere.

post #23 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
will do... i think thats gonna be my bike mod of the week.... o wait already did 2 others this week... eh o well haha. I think i have the right switch around here somewhere.
now you braggin. u breakin my heart! i dont have a 9er to work on... YET...

post #24 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
now you braggin. u breakin my heart! i dont have a 9er to work on... YET...
lol ya... earlier this week the whole California EVAP system was taken off and capped off at the individual throttle bodies as well as the whole intake flapper assembly and vacuum components back to the 4 way T above the throttle bodies. Its SOOO much cleaner now with out all that unnecessary shit hangin there.

Look for the 919 emergency flasher tutorial tomorrow or sunday

post #25 of 49 Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM
The Cripple

dude... why you torturing me? seriously.

post #26 of 49 Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ya emergency flasher tutorial probably wont be up till tuesday... but ill get it up... already started on it real quick... really just spent 10 min finding the switch i knew i had laying around and soldering wires to the switch....

post #27 of 49 Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The only real alternative is to have the emergency flasher wired directly (through a fuse) to constant power. All you need then is a DPDT toggle switch and some time to hook it all up. Frankly, the biggest problem is finding a switch that is weather tolerant. Carling Technologies makes a line of miniature sealed DPDT toggle switches that look suitable: web page -- http://miniature-switches.carlingtec...switch__89.asp and spec sheet -- http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/2M_series.pdf
Past that, you will need a heavy duty flasher unit that won't overload at twice the wattage the stock one handles and a sealed fuse holder connected to constant power.

Below are the schematic diagram and how to wire up the switch ... at least my take on it. As you can see with the switch in "normal" the turn signal circuit is routed through it, while in "Hazard" both right and left sides are shunted together and the flasher is activated by grounding through all four bulbs.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hazard warn circuit.jpg (33.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Hazard_warn_circuit_switch_wiring.jpg (43.6 KB, 23 views)

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #28 of 49 Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The only real alternative is to have the emergency flasher wired directly (through a fuse) to constant power. All you need then is a DPDT toggle switch and some time to hook it all up. Frankly, the biggest problem is finding a switch that is weather tolerant. Carling Technologies makes a line of miniature sealed DPDT toggle switches that look suitable: web page -- http://miniature-switches.carlingtec...switch__89.asp and spec sheet -- http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/2M_series.pdf
Past that, you will need a heavy duty flasher unit that won't overload at twice the wattage the stock one handles and a sealed fuse holder connected to constant power.

Below are the schematic diagram and how to wire up the switch ... at least my take on it. As you can see with the switch in "normal" the turn signal circuit is routed through it, while in "Hazard" both right and left sides are shunted together and the flasher is activated by grounding through all four bulbs.

Rob
ill have to put up my idea... its definetly different that what you have setup... i didnt thing about overloading the stock flasher relay, as 1. i have led blinkers, and 2. my aftermarket flasher relay handles up to 20 amps. Ill have to see how many amps the stocker can handle.

post #29 of 49 Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
ill have to put up my idea... its definetly different that what you have setup... i didnt thing about overloading the stock flasher relay, as 1. i have led blinkers, and 2. my aftermarket flasher relay handles up to 20 amps. Ill have to see how many amps the stocker can handle.
This will be interesting.
I always like to see someone's take on things. It's a great way to learn.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #30 of 49 Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Le So Cal Troll

looking at the stock flasher it says on it

T/S (21, 23, 27)W x 2
H/W 21W MAX 4 Bulbs

Ima say that the stocker is only able to handle ~ 80 watts max.... although it could be as low as 55 Watts.... so if you dont have LED blinkers, and or an aftermarket flasher unit... using the stock setup to flash all 4 bulbs is out of the question... as all 4 blinkers at once is 88 Watts total.

So let me get to takin some pics of my setup and install it and make a tutorial... its so retarded simple.

post #31 of 49 Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
looking at the stock flasher it says on it

T/S (21, 23, 27)W x 2
H/W 21W MAX 4 Bulbs

Ima say that the stocker is only able to handle ~ 80 watts max.... although it could be as low as 55 Watts.... so if you dont have LED blinkers, and or an aftermarket flasher unit... using the stock setup to flash all 4 bulbs is out of the question... as all 4 blinkers at once is 88 Watts total.

So let me get to takin some pics of my setup and install it and make a tutorial... its so retarded simple.
you're correct. the stock flasher unit cant handle more than 85 watts. i bet it wouldnt even be able to handle the heat at 55 watts. its interesting hearing what you and rob have to say.

hey rob, would it be possible to throw in a switched relay between the stock flasher unit in your proposed setup?

post #32 of 49 Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
you're correct. the stock flasher unit cant handle more than 85 watts. i bet it wouldnt even be able to handle the heat at 55 watts. its interesting hearing what you and rob have to say.

hey rob, would it be possible to throw in a switched relay between the stock flasher unit in your proposed setup?
rob's rendition is actually completely separate from the stock setup... you would add in another flasher unit capable of handling the load of the stock blinkers.

I just finished mine and it works like a charm... a simple dual pole dual throw (DPDT) switch.

DPDT Flatted Metal Lever Toggle Switch - RadioShack.com

The reason i needed a dual pole was to turn OFF the "blinker running lights" while in 4 way blinker flashing mode. while turning ON the connection between the left and right blinkers.... as i have my stock tail lights wired up as blinker / tail lights with a combination of the blinker running lights and a Diode.... but thats another tutorial.

If you have LED blinkers, or aftermarket blinkers and are not using the blinker running light features, you can simply buy a Single pole single throw switch that just connects and disconnects a wire that goes between the left and right blinker wires (solid orange and solid light blue) up in the headlight. Flip the switch then either tun the left or right blinkers on and all 4 will light up.

My way is much simpler than Robs... BUT you must have a flasher relay that handles the load by your blinkers.

If you would like me to get more detailed id be happy to, ill probably take some video of it tomorrow as well.

post #33 of 49 Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
The Cripple

yeah pix/video would be good. i'll consider doing this mod as well : )

post #34 of 49 Old 07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
rob's rendition is actually completely separate from the stock setup... you would add in another flasher unit capable of handling the load of the stock blinkers.

I just finished mine and it works like a charm... a simple dual pole dual throw (DPDT) switch.

DPDT Flatted Metal Lever Toggle Switch - RadioShack.com

The reason i needed a dual pole was to turn OFF the "blinker running lights" while in 4 way blinker flashing mode. while turning ON the connection between the left and right blinkers
That is a simpler way to do it, but with one problem: the ignition has to be on in order for them to work. This adds the draw from the headlight and taillights -- adding an extra 100 watts to the load, that is assuming the kill switch is off. After about 10 minutes it may drain the battery enough to keep it from starting up after being a good samaritan or finding and curing a problem.
Quote:
My way is much simpler than Robs... BUT you must have a flasher relay that handles the load by your blinkers.
I found a heavy duty two wire flasher at U-Haul for a piddling $3. U-Haul moving supplies: 12V Heavy Duty Flasher The terminals are 1/4" QD type, but you're going to have to do some wiring anyway, so what's two more connections?[/QUOTE]

See two wiring diagrams for a key out flasher, one with the OEM flasher and a heavy duty unit for the hazards, and one with a heavy duty flasher for both functions. All wiring can go under the seat, and the switch can be mounted on the left side by drilling through the inner fender in the tool kit pocket just below the seat and behind the side cover. The connections to the turn signal Orange and Lt. Blue wires can be made at the terminals to the rear signals or if you're feeling adventurous you can open up the harness near the fuse box and dig out the wires there. Otherwise the tail section has to come off.

To use it, flip the hazard toggle and activate either turn signal at the handlebar switch. The key does not have to be on.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hazard flasher circuit diagrams.jpg (60.7 KB, 34 views)

------- Rob --------
post #35 of 49 Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Le So Cal Troll

very very true.... my way you gotta have the headlight on.... the times i would like an emergency flasher is when i pull off to the side of the road to check my cell or something.... motor still running.

i do see where just flashers on and no head light going would be very nice.

post #36 of 49 Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Rob, could you do the same thing by energizing the OEM(replaced with HD) relay and eliminate the additional relay?

post #37 of 49 Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Rob, could you do the same thing by energizing the OEM(replaced with HD) relay and eliminate the additional relay?
Done. See the second option wiring diagram in post # 34.

As to the the HD flasher, I went to a local Kragen auto parts emporium (or whatever they're calling it currently) and picked up a two pin Blazer FL552/536LL electronic flasher rated at 15 amps for $7.00 and change. I kludged it in and the flash rate with two bulbs is almost exactly the same as the original flasher. As soon as I get back from SLO I'll jump across the two sides and see how it works with all four.
One potential issue is it is not environmentally sealed, but as soon as I characterize it's operation it's getting torn down and thoroughly conformal coated, and if it works well enough I'll look into making a subharness that will plug into the stock flasher plug.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #38 of 49 Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Tirone

would there be a way of skating around the need to use the blinker switch to activate the hazards in the diagram on the #34 post?

post #39 of 49 Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by docter911 View Post
would there be a way of skating around the need to use the blinker switch to activate the hazards in the diagram on the #34 post?
I'll send a PM to Rob to check this thread. I bet he can help you.

post #40 of 49 Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I'll send a PM to Rob to check this thread. I bet he can help you.
See the diagram in post #27. It is a standalone setup that only requires a DPDT toggle switch, a fuse holder tied into the heavy gauge Red wire feeding the ignition switch, and a heavy duty flasher with a current rated for the combined turn signal bulbs, ~7 amps. It must be kludged in where the turn signal switch connects to the main harness. I'll go through the wiring diagram as soon as I scare it up: I'm in Loveland, Colorado at the moment and my computer isn't.

Hmmm ... the link to the wiring diagram in the Naked bikes / helpful topics / wiring diagram is broken. Still looking.

Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode