EBC Brake Tape - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

EBC Brake Tape

My 2006 Niner needs new front brakes.

Purchased the EBC brand and each outer surface has a piece of dull black 'electrical' type tape. Does anyone know if this is to be removed or are they on there to be in lieu of grease?

Will be riding from Fremont, California mid January down Baja where the bike will be stored in mainland Mexico. When weather permits, then riding back home to Chicago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2017, 08:53 AM
McTavish

It appears that no one else has come across your situation.
However, of note, never put grease between the backing plate and brake piston head!
OK, back to your particulars.
My personal experience based suggestion is this:
1-Remove the tape, and use brake parts cleaner spray on a rag to get rid of any adhesive.
2-Remove the thermal barriers/vibration dampeners from the stock pads and put them on the EBC pads.
Hopefully this helps you out.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2017, 10:25 AM
919 Rider

I did a Google search. Your "electrical tape" might actually be a noise reduction shim.
What side of the pad is it on? Caliper piston side?
Got a pic?

post #4 of 8 Old 12-27-2017, 02:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I did a Google search. Your "electrical tape" might actually be a noise reduction shim.
What side of the pad is it on? Caliper piston side?
Got a pic?
I was thinking the same thing. They used to sell 'goop' that you would apply to the back of the pads to keep the noise down. I don't have any noise on mine and can't see anything on mine. Thing is, it can be dangerous as it could drip on the disk and you'd lose your brakes.

post #5 of 8 Old 12-27-2017, 03:00 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Call/email EBC and ask them?

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Thank-you all for the helpful replies.

In my dyslexic haste, seems I've mixed up brands of front brake pads. Based on the remaining packaging from the rear brakes, they are the Volar brand that come with tape.

Now the curious thing, is that the cheap set come with about an inch strip of tape on the 'outer' piston sides of each pad. While the true EBC brand comes with a silver colored perforated clip on backing. While this clip is thin, it is definitely thicker that the alternative.

Now in response to the "2-Remove the thermal barriers/vibration dampeners from the stock pads and put them on the EBC pads." I'm a bit confused. Do not recall there being dampeners on the stock pads. Remember bike is now on the west coast. Went to Bike Bandit's parts page for front brakes and do not see a part number for what is described. I know what you are referring to as the Suzuki DR 650 rear brake pads have just the thing. Being a little over cautious as I'll have one afternoon in son's driveway to get bike out of storage, operational and front brakes replaced.

There is such a thing as brake pad grease. Got a small tube from my auto mechanic. Have seen tubs of it for sale at MCSuperstore. It isjustZe a lot thicker than regular grease.

Have used silicon grease in some instances to prevent ears from bleeding during the initial brake break in.

B.D. Vet

post #7 of 8 Old 12-29-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

And here in a 1000 words....

post #8 of 8 Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogvet View Post
Thank-you all for the helpful replies.

A
Now in response to the "2-Remove the thermal barriers/vibration dampeners from the stock pads and put them on the EBC pads." I'm a bit confused. Do not recall there being dampeners on the stock pads.

B
There is such a thing as brake pad grease. Got a small tube from my auto mechanic. Have seen tubs of it for sale at MCSuperstore. It isjustZe a lot thicker than regular grease.

B.D. Vet
A
My 05 was new from the dealer.
My stock pad had a fabric/metal shim backing.
I bought EBC HHs about 10 years ago, they had nothing on them at all, so I grafted the stock bits to the EBC pads.

B
Do not use grease on the backing plate of the pads!
Pins and pin slide points of the pads OK, and as little amount as possible, but not on the backing plates of the pads themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode