Don't wheelie in Florida... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Don't wheelie in Florida...

I haven't been on much lately due to some other issues, so if this a repost a mod can delete it. I saw this on another site. If it passes, even in a lesser form, it's another target on our backs.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclen...elie/1969.html

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Hard to put it in words because, I sometimes, want to get close to some of this punks are run them out of the freeway with my truck... they are so stupid!

Bah!, let me go get my coffe... way to early to get my blood boiling this way!

post #3 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 06:03 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

I support this.

The flip-side says that offenders will now try to evade the LEO more than ever before. The mentality being that you cannot legislate against the freedoms to ride wheelies, and nobody wants to lose their bike or go to jail so they'll evade and create even more danger.

And reality says what other options are there to curb this behavior?
- Pictures of shredded bodies splayed all over the armco hasn't deterred them.
- Appeals to stop, simply asking nicely, hasn't worked.
- Already issuing citations and impounding bikes hasn't worked.

So what else can possibly be done to stop this behavior? Lawmakers have but one tool, and that's bills like this one that impose severe penalties.

I lost a friend a few years back who high speed wheelied broadside into a minivan which turned left in front of him. Dead on impact with the ground, flipped the minivan slightly injuring 3 kids and a mom. He was a great kid, helluva future ahead of him with a personality that could light up a room. Nothing I did or said or talked with him over a beer changed his desire to wheelie.

I hope this bill becomes law and maybe that'll cause someone to think it through a little more and hopefully save some lives, but I know stupid is as stupid does.

post #4 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I don't know. First reaction is that it's about time they went after the squids and showboats that worsen our reputation with the general public. I am afraid of the knee-jerk reaction that may ensue from other municipalities and states trying something similiar. I still think about the saying of "If you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

post #5 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 AM

Dont get me started ranting about this...people like that are the ones who give the rider who just likes to ride and obeys the laws a bad name...all you have to do is be on a sport bike or in colorful leathers and you get that look from the POPO no matter where you are...I think there is a time and a place for it all and it is not on a freeway...if your parents didnt give you enough attention as a kid and you have to make us all look bad so you can get some attention then you are a F'n Wanker. I do believe there are other laws that need to be looked into wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before this stupid one would be....like how can a person with 5 DUIs still be on the road in a car with no Lic and not sitting in jail!

post #6 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Unbannable

I don't like the legeslation. I don't think the punishment fits the crime and this is sort of a mob mentality beating up on bikers.

Lets say you're coming hard out of a corner and you do a small 2" power wheelie. Now you're in jail and can't ride for 10 years? I just don't think the punishment fits the crime.

We should start by having more responsible motorcycle jornalists and TV shows. Superbikes on the Speed Channel shouldn't be on the air and every magazine that has wheelie shots of all the bikes are irresponsible. As long as it's cool kids will do it. The laws won't change that.

post #7 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

SSS, the one thing to remember is you won't be "coming hard out of a corner" in Florida. There's no corners.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Lets say you're coming hard out of a corner and you do a small 2" power wheelie. Now you're in jail and can't ride for 10 years? I just don't think the punishment fits the crime.
ah... but the flipside to this is that there is no reason you should be coming out of a corner THAT hard on the street to begin with! Or... if you are riding hard, you should have the throttle control and presence of mind to NOT power wheelie in the first place! and they aren't just targetting wheelies, if you're riding hard enough to power wheelie out of a corner, then you are speeding as well, which is the other part this bill is going after.

post #9 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 

At Homestead, Daytona or Jennings you can power wheelie out of the corners all you like.

post #10 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

If you're pulling a power wheelie from coming too hard out of a corner on public roads, you deserve whatever you get busted for. Don't play unless you are willing to deal with the consequences. We all exceed our limits at times. Sometimes people do it intentionally, sometimes it's necessary for egress from a dangerous set of circumstances. The riders that are stunting on highways and creating rolling roadblocks to perform are deserving of the punishment from this bill.

post #11 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 

This is relevant to the thread, so, OK, tell me if I was wrong?

Two nights ago driving home from work, rush hour traffic, at about 7:00 pm in the dark on I-75 North, I prepared to change lanes to get off at my exit. I looked in my mirrors, nobody there, turn signal on, start to move right, halfway in the lane, (luckily!) check my mirrors again, and see a motorcycle headlight swerve away from my bumper at the last possible moment, going well in excess of 100 mph! I jerked left, he went off on the shoulder, and I crapped my pants. Holy ****, I thought. He would have been roadkill and could have came right through my car. Heart pounding, I chase off after him and catch up briefly at the red light. I was gonna get out and chew his ass out but the light turned green and he took off. So I caught him at the next light and wrote down his license plate number on the palm of my hand. Well, here in Florida if you ride a motorcycle and are under 21, on the bottom of the license plate in red letters is "Under 21". SOB, fukkin punk ass squid kid on a Gixxer. Bookbag on his shoulders, ICON helmet and jacket, off he went into the dark of the night. So for the last 5 minuttes of my ride home I thought about what to do. I have a few friends in law enforcement, maybe they can run the tag and give me his address and I'll go over and kick his ass. Nope, then I'd be the one getting my ass thrown in jail. So when I got home I looked up the non-emergency Sherrif's number and called them up, told them the story, and said they needed to send a car out to the kids house and scare the **** out of him, threaten him, embarass him in front of his parents, whatever it is that they do. They sent a car out but of course I'll never hear the outcome. Hopefully, we are not going to have another dead "motorcyclist" on the streets giving the rest of us a bad name. Now I am no saint and have broken the law and speed limit a "few" times, LOL, but it's usually during the day on a deserted country road somewhere, and not in the middle of the friggin' highway.

Low Post Whore!
post #12 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 

Oh yeah, riders like this who lose their motorcycle license will just ride without one. It won't stop a thing. They'll still be on the streets. Riding harder and dumber than ever. It will just start a whole new revolution of street "rebels".

Low Post Whore!
post #13 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
I support this.

The flip-side says that offenders will now try to evade the LEO more than ever before. The mentality being that you cannot legislate against the freedoms to ride wheelies, and nobody wants to lose their bike or go to jail so they'll evade and create even more danger.

And reality says what other options are there to curb this behavior?
- Pictures of shredded bodies splayed all over the armco hasn't deterred them.
- Appeals to stop, simply asking nicely, hasn't worked.
- Already issuing citations and impounding bikes hasn't worked.

So what else can possibly be done to stop this behavior? Lawmakers have but one tool, and that's bills like this one that impose severe penalties.

I lost a friend a few years back who high speed wheelied broadside into a minivan which turned left in front of him. Dead on impact with the ground, flipped the minivan slightly injuring 3 kids and a mom. He was a great kid, helluva future ahead of him with a personality that could light up a room. Nothing I did or said or talked with him over a beer changed his desire to wheelie.

I hope this bill becomes law and maybe that'll cause someone to think it through a little more and hopefully save some lives, but I know stupid is as stupid does.
I lost my friend Walter the same way, and MAN! The price that was paid after his death has made living a challenge... (another whole story). But, Walter basically did a wheelie at 100+ MPH - as measured by CHP - into the front quarter panel of a truck that pulled a u-turn in front of him. He died three days after being in a coma. What can you say? Walter was a special guy - he had the sort of generosity that put the world to shame. I once stressed over where to keep my bike when I had no garage, and he just looked at me like DUH! I have a garage. He would even wash both our bikes when I was not around. However, no one could stop him from his ever loving wheelies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I don't know. First reaction is that it's about time they went after the squids and showboats that worsen our reputation with the general public. I am afraid of the knee-jerk reaction that may ensue from other municipalities and states trying something similiar. I still think about the saying of "If you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about."
James - Sadly, it is no longer the case in CA. When I was stopped, the CHP office basically told me his instructions were to stop any bike that looked like it was built for speed. Mine as you know had all the stickers and mods on it - I was pulled over, while stopped at a stop sign with five other bikes. It no longer matters if "you're doing nothing wrong", if you are on a sports bikes, you are considered a rebel - done deal.

Quote:
I don't like the legeslation. I don't think the punishment fits the crime and this is sort of a mob mentality beating up on bikers.

We should start by having more responsible motorcycle jornalists and TV shows. Superbikes on the Speed Channel shouldn't be on the air and every magazine that has wheelie shots of all the bikes are irresponsible. As long as it's cool kids will do it. The laws won't change that.
What can you say Steve? We - and I have to use this collectively here - brought this on ourselves. Legislation like this is a knee jerk reaction as evidenced by how it came to life, but what is the recourse here. We can seperate ourselves all we want from stunters and Superbikes, but - short of us kicking these guys off the roads ourselve (literally), the rest of the public is going to respond to what they see as representative of the sport.

Hell! From England to the US, people still use that corny old line that bikers are donors. Car magazines show burn outs, plane magazines show loops, etc. It is not their fault some idiots decide to emulate what is obviously and well stated as a planned stunt.

As for the law itself, I don't neccesarily supports some of it's harshness, but mandatory jail time of some sort, stiff fines and a suspension for excessive recklessness - HECK YEAH!

post #14 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur View Post
ah... but the flipside to this is that there is no reason you should be coming out of a corner THAT hard on the street to begin with! Or... if you are riding hard, you should have the throttle control and presence of mind to NOT power wheelie in the first place! and they aren't just targetting wheelies, if you're riding hard enough to power wheelie out of a corner, then you are speeding as well, which is the other part this bill is going after.
+1

Quote:
At Homestead, Daytona or Jennings you can power wheelie out of the corners all you like.
+1, or Willow Springs, or Fontana Speedway, or Laguna Seca, or VIR, etc.

Quote:
If you're pulling a power wheelie from coming too hard out of a corner on public roads, you deserve whatever you get busted for. Don't play unless you are willing to deal with the consequences. We all exceed our limits at times. Sometimes people do it intentionally, sometimes it's necessary for egress from a dangerous set of circumstances. The riders that are stunting on highways and creating rolling roadblocks to perform are deserving of the punishment from this bill.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RRHooligan View Post
Oh yeah, riders like this who lose their motorcycle license will just ride without one. It won't stop a thing. They'll still be on the streets. Riding harder and dumber than ever. It will just start a whole new revolution of street "rebels".
This may be true. Laws are never perfect nets to catch all who break them. There will always be lawbreaks.... however, they are there are deterents and consequences for when a person gets caught flagrantly break them.

post #15 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I dont believe I have ever posted this here......

Here is MY post on the Chevy forum I use....... this was the weekend of my 39th Birthday and the night before I completed my MSF course and got my endorsement....

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...search/1/tp/1/

I support whatver it takes to get these kind of riders off the road....

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #16 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
the CHP office basically told me his instructions were to stop any bike that looked like it was built for speed.

It is not their fault some idiots decide to emulate what is obviously and well stated as a planned stunt.
Wow. That sucks. I'm glad the troopers here aren't like that.

That's exactly why laws such as this are necessary. A lot of people today have a hard time differentiating between tv and reality. Irresponsibility and the idea that everyone can do what they want without affecting anyone else. So effin' selfish. We all suffer for their incompetence and stupidity... Doesn't anyone know how to think anymore?

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #17 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
... Doesn't anyone know how to think anymore?
As I say these days, we are now living in crazy world.

post #18 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

If that sh*t passes, everybody gets screwed.

Thanks a lot "STUNTAHS"

post #19 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARROSART View Post

Thanks a lot "STUNTAHS"
To some extent I have to agree with your statement. I agree on penalties for doing squidy s**t but this opens doors for the law and legislators to put motorcyclist as a whole even more directly in the limelight. The 80% of us riders that go out and ride for pleasure and sport will not be commended for not doing wheelies. We will end up on the side of the road in front of a lit up cruiser just for being out there. This reflects extremely negatively on all of us that abide by the rules best we can.

post #20 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Unbannable

I think you guys misunderstood my wheelie comment. If you're hard on the gas in first gear and you hit a small bump your front wheel can loft a little. This isn't a 100mph wheelie, more like a 30mph and rapidly climbing to the speed limit wheelie. I know the rest of you don't ride like grandmas so quit pretending.

I just don't want to give the government that much power. After this comes nation wide noise restrictions. Sorry guys you have to throw your Satos in the garbage. And when Al Gore and his eco nazis take over there won't be any performance bikes left. The AMA has to fight this stuff tooth and nail.

post #21 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

There are already noise restrictions on motorcycle exhausts, they just aren't enforced. ALmost all aftermarket exhausts carry a disclaimer that says "For closed course applications only" or something to that effect.

post #22 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARROSART View Post

Thanks a lot "STUNTAHS"
+1 The penalty's are excessive and will greatly inflate our law abiding insurance rates. Not due to higher claims, but legislating stereotypes. There must be more driving the legislation, probably exorbitant uncovered medical claims. So instead of an invasive redundant law (as Jet explained will cause folks to get hurt) just make everyone on the road carry a $1M policy.

post #23 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

While I can't stand the squids who give us a bad name the new laws and litigation in the country are getting a little out of control. Almost a big brother type scenario.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #24 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 08:59 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
While I can't stand the squids who give us a bad name the new laws and litigation in the country are getting a little out of control. Almost a big brother type scenario.
Sure we're not already there ?!?!

post #25 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIM-RC51 View Post
Sure we're not already there ?!?!
Sure seems like we're close doesn't it.

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #26 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

I agree with you, I like to ride fast, and these guys are making it harder for us to have fun out there.

Quote:
I think you guys misunderstood my wheelie comment. If you're hard on the gas in first gear and you hit a small bump your front wheel can loft a little. This isn't a 100mph wheelie, more like a 30mph and rapidly climbing to the speed limit wheelie. I know the rest of you don't ride like grandmas so quit pretending.

I just don't want to give the government that much power. After this comes nation wide noise restrictions. Sorry guys you have to throw your Satos in the garbage. And when Al Gore and his eco nazis take over there won't be any performance bikes left. The AMA has to fight this stuff tooth and nail.

post #27 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Unbannable

Quote:
There are already noise restrictions on motorcycle exhausts, they just aren't enforced. ALmost all aftermarket exhausts carry a disclaimer that says "For closed course applications only" or something to that effect.
I'm talking about what they did on Colorado ( I think it was CO) anyway, if you arn't running a stock system you get a ticket. And they do enforce it!

the EPA and the rest of big brother

post #28 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'm betting that senator guy has never riden a bike in his life and perceives them as "accidents waiting to happen". Being said that, I am up for whatever takes this asshats away from me on the highways and freeways. Now, being said that, what are these senators doing against asshats cagers who drive w/o licenses, with 4 DUI's and/or No Insurance? Why aren't they passing a bill to put them in jail for years or nuked the car w/o the ins? To Gov'ment would loose to much $$$ to make that stop is what I am thinking... either that or the Tag agencies don't want to send those guys away because they now someone else will give them a tag to ride with.

post #29 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM

Does Florida really need a new law for this? Doing a wheelie has to be considered reckless driving and according to this site:

http://www.ticketlawyer.com/reckless.htm

the penalty for it can be up to 90 days in jail. Have they been putting guys in jail for 90 days and seen many repeat offenders?

post #30 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

wheelies are baad, makay

+ $5

post #31 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
Does Florida really need a new law for this? Doing a wheelie has to be considered reckless driving and according to this site:

the penalty for it can be up to 90 days in jail. Have they been putting guys in jail for 90 days and seen many repeat offenders?
Miami runs about 2.74 LEO's per 1000 residents against a national avg of 3.0 per 1000. Motorcycling is year round and perhaps the new law is meant to "breathe fear" of the possible ramifications.

It certainly doesn't mean they're going to actually apprehend more riders than they do now without additional headcount but strike fear into the minds of those considering the behavior that they'll be punished even more severely.

post #32 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post

Thanks for digging that up. This is exactly what I was thinking when I first read about it. Surely there is something existing on the books that they could throw at a few of the severe offenders to try to calm it down.

But no, invent a bigger hammer instead.

post #33 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Thanks for digging that up. This is exactly what I was thinking when I first read about it. Surely there is something existing on the books that they could throw at a few of the severe offenders to try to calm it down.

But no, invent a bigger hammer instead.
Good point. Makes ya wonder why they didn't just revise the current law.

post #34 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase

it wouldn't get half the publicity and media attention.

post #35 of 37 Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
it wouldn't get half the publicity and media attention.
Yup! Mr. Senator has to make a name for himself so that one day when he is running for President, he can say, "When I was senator, I created a bigger and better hammer to arrest errant bikers with." Basically, he created a law.

post #36 of 37 Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Did making pot, crack, coke, and all that crap, make that problem go away?

If someone is bound and determined to self distruct, they will. That's life.

post #37 of 37 Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Did making pot, crack, coke, and all that crap, make that problem go away?

If someone is bound and determined to self distruct, they will. That's life.
This is true... look at RC90 and Midwest. We try to help them, but to no avail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode