• 1 Post By nathanktm
  • 1 Post By stickshift
  • 1 Post By Avispao
  • 1 Post By Ditch
  • 1 Post By 919oob

post #1 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Dang i love this bike

I hit a home run getting a 919. I have owned many motorcycles in my long [ old ] life. I always gravitate to standard naked sport bikes. I tried cruisers but in the end i reject them as boring. I have a friend that goes threw motorcycles like candy so i get the opportunity to try them all.Nothing he has or had makes me want to get one. Now that i have more seat time on my 919 i have figured out how basic stuff like shifting smoothly and handling work on this bike. First of all i think it is one of the most beautiful naked bikes ever. I love the up swept exhaust. Also i like all that motor showing without the frame in the way. The seating position for my 6 foot slim body fits me perfect.The [07 ] red paint job really pops and the Honda quality stands out.I want to ride the thing all the time.
Being out of production for 10 years makes them rare to see on the road but that is ok with me. I have pretty much kept up with what is out their over the years but i just did not like the primer paint jobs that were on the early bikes. I am glad i had a open mind in what was going to be my next bike. the 919 was not on my list.I would have gotten a new Honda CB 1100 if the price was right i have no regrets not getting one. I paid 4,000 for my 2007 in new condition. with financing and fees the CB1100 was going to cost over 10,000 dollars. My friends latest Naked is a new Kawasaki Z 900. I do like it but not as much as my 919.
Avispao likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 AM
919 Rider

I luv my niner too.
Great combination of retro and modern. Simple, uncomplicated do it all bike. Unique look. Easy to work on and mod. Honda reliability.
I think it's a classic already!
ewmin3m and Diablo like this.

post #3 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'm wondering if that is the ultra low mile one we posted on just a while back. Is it bone stock, red from CL with really low miles?

Anyways, welcome aboard, show some pics and ask any questions you might have.

post #4 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Tirone

I think it was rare to see one on the road even when they were in production. For some reason, the bike never caught on and its sales numbers were pretty dismal. Some people say that it was due to its relatively high sticker price. I don't know the reason but the lack of popularity back then made them quite a bargain a few years after production stopped. Now, there's a sort of cult following because folks have realized what a nice motorcycle it is. It has faults but the sum of the whole package makes a very nice overall motorcycle. I have no plans to get rid of my 2007 in this lifetime!
mcromo44, ewmin3m and Diablo like this.

post #5 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Centurion

Garage
Yeah it was the price that was the issue... especially for a bin bike...

Combined with the fact that people didn't have proof for how mechanically impeccable this Honda is was it's downfall...

Even for 4 large with clean low KM i think it's a real good deal... Especially if you want to keept it stock looking.

If you can get one for 2500 and pimp the shit out of it... even then it'd be fricking good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing_Throttle View Post
I think it was rare to see one on the road even when they were in production. For some reason, the bike never caught on and its sales numbers were pretty dismal. Some people say that it was due to its relatively high sticker price. I don't know the reason but the lack of popularity back then made them quite a bargain a few years after production stopped. Now, there's a sort of cult following because folks have realized what a nice motorcycle it is. It has faults but the sum of the whole package makes a very nice overall motorcycle. I have no plans to get rid of my 2007 in this lifetime!
KarlJay likes this.

post #6 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Other than the fz1, i think the 919 is one of the best bang for buck bikes you can currently get.

post #7 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing_Throttle View Post
They sold quite well in Europe.
Also the 599.
I'm not sure, but there may have been more 599s sold than 919s, in Europe that is.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #8 of 22 Old 07-20-2018, 07:11 PM
Discen

I only bought mine so I'd have something to ride while narrowed down the bikes on my list.
But after riding it for a couple of months, I've grown very attached to it.
I test rode the Kawasaki Z900RS but didn't think it was any better.
Also rode the new Honda CB1000R and same thing, the 919 is fun to ride, and does most things very well.

My 919 only had 9000klm's on it, and after fitting all the aftermarket stuff, it's still $10,000 AU cheaper.
Will probably never sell it.

post #9 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I heard it was the exchange rate at the time. But what I don't get is that other bike you'd expect to be in the same ball park, are much more expensive (or at least they're asking for more). Is the Duc Monster or ZRX of the same era really worth more?

post #10 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Centurion

Garage
When I first saw the Hornet 599 back in europe and decided it was going to be my dream bike i didn't even know the 9er existed...

Then I came to canada and found out it had a bigger brother... HELL YEAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Also the 599.
I'm not sure, but there may have been more 599s sold than 919s, in Europe that is.

post #11 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think the 599 might suit me more, but I am a big fan of big torque motors

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #12 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Centurion

Garage
I had a 599 for a little while...

It's super light compared to the 9er and LOVES to rev....

yes it's a bit more work to keep it up there, but it's fun as hell :P

With the current experience I have know, I think i'd have gone with the 599 pimped it out nicely...
Much more "Race boy" bike where as the 9er is definitley a lazy person's bike. The torque down low helps tones :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
I think the 599 might suit me more, but I am a big fan of big torque motors

post #13 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 08:35 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I did a 10mph first gear roll on against a cbr 1000rr 2015 and a 2017 765rs triumph. The cbr was left in the dust and I suspiciously managed to catch up and pass the 765. From a dig tho, they were left in the dust. Can't beat short gearing and nice low torque. People talk about horsepower figures and yadayada but my clapped out 919 spanked those suckers. Even the "200" hp gsxr1000r with launch control got dusted. Launch control is cool but it ain't magic. Although right at the 1/4 mile point, he did blow by me doing like 40mph faster and they all used to laugh at my "old man's" bike

Avispao likes this.

post #14 of 22 Old 07-22-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

A 100 HP naked bike with very good low and mid range power will feel faster than same bike with 125 peek HP. most of the 125 HP comes close to peek RPM. I do not mind my 919 running out of power above 8,000 RPM . I used to have a 2003 Z 1000 that had 126 RWHP and it was fast BUT the low end & Mid range power was nothing like my 919. What helped the Z 1000 was very short gearing and a wet weight of 470 lbs. I like the very usable 919 power band. Kawasaki got so many complaints about the early Z1000 lack of usable power that they detuned the engine with smaller cams,valves,throttle bodies the last two years before they discontinued the Z1000. Then they complained the old Z1000 was faster than the 2005
mcromo44 likes this.

post #15 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 03:35 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Also the 599.
Yes, here in EU the 599 was a bestseller in all their years and models (Hornet, Hornet S, CBF600), while 919 was almost testimonial (even more testimonial than the CB1300)

I haven't tested many bikes, but i tested a BMW1200R and a XSR900 which could be the same market. After 14 years they are almost the same to the 919, with better modern suspensions and brakes, nothing more. Their engines are looking for the 919's way of life.
mcromo44 likes this.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #16 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 04:35 AM
The Instigator

I can't imagine not owning a 919. To me it defines what a basic everyday motorcycle should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1150640.jpg (82.5 KB, 12 views)
ewmin3m likes this.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #17 of 22 Old 07-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Tirone

First Post and new to an 07' 919 for about a month. I was very interested in the z900 like the OP, but 3k less and lower insurance proved to be a win. Coming from a harley sportster to a vfr800, this has the torque that is invigorating, but not overwhelming. Buzz in the handlebars is present compared to the silky smooth vfr800. "stink" issue seems to be present only at highway speeds. Around town cruising and cornering is it's strongsuit. I love it.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #18 of 22 Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Tesserarius

The only thing that sounds better than a 919 with a pair of Satos, is an F35.

post #19 of 22 Old 07-25-2018, 05:27 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
The only thing that sounds better than a 919 with a pair of Satos, is an F35.
I didn't have Satos, but the sound is one thing my wife misses about the 9'er I had. When she was behind me on rides (on her SV), she loved the noise it made when I'd go on a rip. The Tuono sounds good too, but the note of the 9'er was almost like music to my ears.

Wish I'd put an aftermarket exhaust on to really hear it!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #20 of 22 Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
I didn't have Satos, but the sound is one thing my wife misses about the 9'er I had. When she was behind me on rides (on her SV), she loved the noise it made when I'd go on a rip. The Tuono sounds good too, but the note of the 9'er was almost like music to my ears.

Wish I'd put an aftermarket exhaust on to really hear it!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
The twin outlet really changes the sound.
Instead of the typical inline 4 single outlet sound, one gets a much more muscular sound.
I tell myself it's worth the stink just to be able to have that sound.

post #21 of 22 Old 07-28-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I am satisfied with my exhaust with the baffle removal only. The sound is sweet. If i did not like the looks of the stock exhaust so much [ i do ] i would save up for something else. Not as racy as Yosh etc but it does blend well with the beauty of the 919.
I like the fact that most riders do not even know what a 919 is.
I do not miss any bike that came before it and that is saying something.
I stand back and just admire my bike.

post #22 of 22 Old 07-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Of all the 4 cylinder bikes, I think I like the sound of the 919 the most. The stock pipes look great too. I feel like any aftermarket pipe just doesn't look as good. Satos are pretty much the only aftermarket exhaust I would put on the bike, and they are non-existant now so owning a set of those is a pipe dream

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode