Daily bike tips and hints - Page 5 - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes

post #161 of 179 Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Yes, we need more info on how you ended up dukes of hazzard'ing it over said pitfall
Ok running wide and to fast in a turn yes i pulled my front brake on top of manhole cover .it gently laid me on the ground about 20 mph bike poped up and launched over edge high school days cold wet WA state long time ago

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 179 Old 09-22-2012, 04:25 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Ok running wide and to fast in a turn yes i pulled my front brake on top of manhole cover .it gently laid me on the ground about 20 mph bike poped up and launched over edge high school days cold wet WA state long time ago
Ouch!

post #163 of 179 Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Ok I see now, that sucks bro!

:buell:

post #164 of 179 Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Tirone

Thanks Everyone!! many good things to learn

post #165 of 179 Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Tesserarius

I agree, thanks this thread is really informative. I always feel like I can learn more about riding and love tips like these.

I have one regarding train/trolly tracks. When crossing try as hard as you can to hit them at 90 degrees. Even when turning clear them before the turn if possible.

Where I live in Brooklyn we have a few old trolly tracks that we're never removed so they will be exposed in some areas. While riding with friends a buddy was riding his old triumph chopper and came up on the exposed track at less than 45 degrees and tried to goose it a bit to get over the tracks. BAD IDEA! His front tire got wedged between the rail and the asphalt and stopped the bike immediately. He broke his forearm and nose on the handlebars that we're now mangled. Ruined his summer for sure.

Also try and avoid cobble stone streets if you can the just suck. Usually here at least, where there are exposed tracks there is usually cobblestone. It's just nerve racking when you have to go over them.

post #166 of 179 Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
If a fuse is blown, the color of it will indicate 1 of 2 things-

If fuse is black, the circuit has a short somewhere

If the fuse is cleanly burnt, the circuit has been overloaded (exceeded its amp rating)

Not sure if it was already common knowledge, but I found this to be very helpful when trouble shooting a problem I had caused on the SV

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #167 of 179 Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Evolving.....Slowly

Dew in the morning, and summer evenings will make road paint and anything metal slicker than you expect.

Dress for the slide, not just the ride.

Don't trust your neutral light.

Be careful with your left foot under your shifter if you are preparing to shift as you exit a tight left turn. It IS possible to run over your own foot. DAMHIK

Expect every car to do exactly what you don't want them to do.

Install the loudest horn you can. There is no such thing as too loud when you are trying to draw attention to yourself. Pay the ticket with pride if it is not DOT approved and you get caught. You safety is worth the money.

"If what you are doing isn't working, don't try harder, try different."
post #168 of 179 Old 10-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
To keep chrome on your bike looking fresh and free from pitting or rust try applying a thin coat of vaseline. This is especially helpful during Winter storage or if you live in areas of high humidity.
Never thought about it but this is a good one! I will be using this tip over the winter. Thanks

post #169 of 179 Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 PM
The Instigator

As I was about to pull away from a gas pump, a fat lady headed straight for the store without getting gas drove right by the pump next to me without stopping and would have cleaned my clock if I hadn't been paying attention. She never did see me and was trying to get the parking spot that had just opened up next to the entrance so she wouldn't have to walk (or waddle) any further than absolutely necessary. Look all around you, we are easily concealed by a gas pump.

post #170 of 179 Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostevo052 View Post

Trickle chargers are well worth the money if you store your bike for looooong periods of time ... and are less than the new battery you WILL be buying if you let it ruin on your bike ..

If you own a carbed bike, and you do store it over the winter ... before you set it up, turn the fuel off and let it run till it sucks all the gas out of the carbs to prevent all that from gettin gummed up in the jets and float bowl ... (I'm sure this is probably common knowledge to more experienced bike owners, but hey .. might be news to somebody) ...

Frame sliders are worth the investment ....... trust ME on that one ...
Bought a trickle charger two winters ago and use it on the battery every winter. The battery is removed and then connected to the trickle charger from approx November-April each year now. Last year when I plugged the battery back into the bike, she fired up like a dream.

Thanks for the carburetor comments: I own an '87 Yamaha Radian in amazing physical appearance. The engine, however, may need some work as it doesn't run as smooth as I'd like it. It may be a clutch problem, BUT I may also have carb problems as I haven't even LOOKED (this is bad I know) at the carbs for 2 years. The bike hasn't run in two years either. Last time it ran, every time I'd open up the throttle, it felt like the gears slipped. The RPM's shot up and it felt like the gear slipped down one gear. Any tips from the experienced mechanics as to what might cause this? Rickard919, I may need to "beer"row your services this summer if you're at all interested in this kind of thing.

Still pondering getting sliders. Thanks for the reminder.

My contribution to this thread is in regards to saddle bags and stock 9'er pipes / cans. This has been mentioned in other specific threads, but worth mentioning again. For those considering saddle bags AND you have the stock cans, those cans are excellent heat shields. Fear not - I've attached my Cortech Sport bags to the bike and they rest against the cans without issues. The cans get warm, but they don't get so hot that they will burn your gear. Strap on with confidence

Bungee cords help secure the bags

Straps come with the bags

post #171 of 179 Old 03-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Honda919Rider #1

Don't let this be you -

post #172 of 179 Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Bring it over one day. We'll trip into it and get it running good.

Spoiler:

post #173 of 179 Old 12-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Tirone

I always put wedge shaped spot mirrors on my bikes. Blind spots are gone forever, and I never have to spin my head around and double check.
You can see them in this shot.

post #174 of 179 Old 12-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Don't let this be you -
You fun-ny boy.

Dan

2005 Honda 919. (Hercules)
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive (Iron Maiden)
post #175 of 179 Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Great tips guys. Sorry I can't think of anything else that wasn't already said but I will... Thanks for starting this dadogs

post #176 of 179 Old 12-31-2014, 05:12 PM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

Ooooops! wrong thread.

Well, Happy New Year anyway

post #177 of 179 Old 05-11-2015, 02:27 PM
Tirone

My samsung galaxy note 3 fits very well in the manual holder under the seat. Handy since that's where the usb charger is.

Use WD-40 to clean the chain. Cheap, available and doesn't involve rinsing with water like some "chain cleaners"

Solder and heat shrink not butt end connectors.

Balance beads or two ounces of BBs in your tires

Even if you don't lane split, think like you are. Always see a path though traffic. Sometimes that's a path away from danger.

When stopped in traffic, position yourself clear of the vehicle in front of you. Leave it in gear and watch your mirrors.

If you're getting after it in the twisties, always stay under 80% of your skill level. Know your limits. It's painful if you find them.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

If you're riding in a group, ride your own ride. Ride how you are comfortable. Don't be pushed.

"The difference between wild and stupid is the price of search, rescue and hospital bills."
Me
post #178 of 179 Old 05-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer View Post
My samsung galaxy note 3 fits very well in the manual holder under the seat. Handy since that's where the usb charger is.

Use WD-40 to clean the chain. Cheap, available and doesn't involve rinsing with water like some "chain cleaners"

Solder and heat shrink not butt end connectors.

Balance beads or two ounces of BBs in your tires

Even if you don't lane split, think like you are. Always see a path though traffic. Sometimes that's a path away from danger.

When stopped in traffic, position yourself clear of the vehicle in front of you. Leave it in gear and watch your mirrors.

If you're getting after it in the twisties, always stay under 80% of your skill level. Know your limits. It's painful if you find them.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

If you're riding in a group, ride your own ride. Ride how you are comfortable. Don't be pushed.
All very sound advice. Well done sir.

post #179 of 179 Old 09-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Milites Gregarius

Anybody heard from dadogs lately?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode