post #1 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

CX500 Most Boring Bike Ever?

Check this out

Greg “Doc’s Chops” Hageman – Davenport, Iowa | Cafe Racer TV

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Brain stolen again?

Great find!

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #3 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Yes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CX500 CAFE 1.jpg (176.7 KB, 32 views)

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

post #4 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

Great find. I always though the CX500 was way ahead of it's time when it was released.

Hmm ....... CX 400/500 project ......... (we got some import CX400's in New Zealand as well ex Japan).

post #5 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Honda sold a turbo version of the CX500 for a while.

The engine was unusually bulletproof if I recall correctly. Someone went cross-country in China on one.... I'll have to see if I can find it again.

post #6 of 23 Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Le So Cal Troll

why cant we have honda of the olden days with the new motor technologies..... this CX500, with its v twin sideways ness.... the NR500 with its oval pistons, the CBX with its crazy ass inline 6, i mean wtf honda what ever happened to thinking outside the box!??!?!?!

that cafe racer is one bad ass lil bike IMO.

post #7 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Pilus Posterior

Apparently they make a nice V5.............

I always thought it would be cool if they spun around a IL4 sideways and made a power cruiser out of it. Kind of like the big Triumph 3 but keep the weight and size down near a standard naked bike.

post #8 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
why cant we have honda of the olden days with the new motor technologies..... this CX500, with its v twin sideways ness.... the NR500 with its oval pistons, the CBX with its crazy ass inline 6, i mean wtf honda what ever happened to thinking outside the box!??!?!?!

Outside the box doesn't sell en masse. True enthusiasts will always be in the minority, and therefore, their needs aren't catered to. Enter the poser chopper, 8 bajillion Harley clones, and sportbikes like every other manufacturer makes. No room for ingenuity in today's market.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #9 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
Yes!
Beautiful! Is that yours?

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #10 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
Honda sold a turbo version of the CX500 for a while.

The engine was unusually bulletproof if I recall correctly. Someone went cross-country in China on one.... I'll have to see if I can find it again.
1982 Honda CX 500 Turbo specifications and pictures

post #11 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Optio

I love cafe bikes. Especially ones that have air cooled heads sticking out the sides. That bike looks way more reliable than a bmw R model. And way cheaper too.

Great! One more project I have to add to the list.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #12 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:

When Honda thinks outside of the box, the model doesn't necessarily sell well in the states.
Think of the models that became cult classics after their short production run:

CBX '79-'82
Hawk GT '88-'91
CX500Turbo '82
CX650Turbo '83
VF1000F '84
VF1000R '85, '86
GB500 '89,'90
CB1 '89,'90

Their successes like the Hurricane series and it's 600cc progeny, along with the '75 Gold Wing and it's successors remain.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #13 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Le So Cal Troll

WTF..... an almost 30 yr old model..... VTWIN 500 cc making 82 hp... thats NUTZ!

post #14 of 23 Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Saw it on HDTH the other night. Friken sweet. They showed a guy in England that had a CX600 turbo engine in a Norton Manx frame.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Tesserarius

Wrenchmonkees CX500

The Honda CX500 has always lacked the cachet of the earlier CB550 Four. Which is ironic, because the CB550 was little more than a downsized CB750; Honda was losing ground in the technological stakes to the other Japanese makers. So Honda gave the new CX500 a water-cooled V-twin, shaft drive and tubeless tires—all quite revolutionary concepts in the late 70s. But the awkward, angular styling did not match the inspired engineering. Max, the French owner of this CX500, decided to fix that. He gave the Wrenchmonkees a call.

According to Wrenchmonkee Per, “Max rode his old CX500 from France to Copenhagen last October. The bike was in fair condition at first glance, but we needed to make repairs on the frame due to rust problems. The frame uses welded metal plates in several places, and in the hollow spaces rust will eat up the frame from the inside. But the engine ran smooth so we left it untouched, with only some new gaskets, paint on the valve covers, intensive cleaning and an overall service.”

The Wrenchmonkees didn’t have a specific plan for transforming this CX500, but when they stripped the bike down, they saw what could be achieved. “The wheel set-up, tank, and the original construction of the frame pulled us in the direction of a ‘chopper-racer’,” says Per. The tank in question is the more rounded item from a CX500C, Honda’s later attempt to soften the lines of the original CX500 with a ‘custom’ look. The Wrenchmonkees then removed the rear frame, and built a custom exhaust system and new fenders. The battery box was moved and a new seat unit fitted to complement the curvier looks of the bike. A smattering of Tomaselli and Tarozzi parts were fitted, along with the headlight and speedo from a Mini. And the whole lot was finished in a timeless metallic brown. The result is a very stylish bike from inauspicious beginnings, and when the Wrenchmonkees entered it into the Danish Forever Two Wheels custom show on a whim, it took the honors in the Open class. No doubt Max rode his bike back to France a very happy man.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Turbo

G.N.Gonzales in Baton Rouge,La did have a complete NOS CX 500 turbo motor, still bolted to a piece of plywood on display. Last time I saw it was about a year ago.
The old Gentleman who died last month at age 94 was the 1st Honda Dealer, then Distributor, and then Importer of Honda in the Southern USA. He in recent years became a Dealer again. To walk thru his shop is like a time machine with every kind of used bike possible. If you wanted a bike, he would trade, and very honest too. A real legend.
I always thought the CX 650 Custom was a sharp looking bike.

[
post #17 of 23 Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Le So Cal Troll

thats another sick lookin CX500!!!!!

post #18 of 23 Old 03-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Count

Hi
We had a cx650 Turbo in the UK Adrian-Kingston.com - Honda CX650 Turbo
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.aspx.jpg (16.3 KB, 150 views)

post #19 of 23 Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Tirone

I've had 3 of those bikes, and i despised every one. As for the engine being bullet proof. I bought one that had a slight inbalance of the carbs. I drove it a quarter mile up and down an alley and BROKE A CONNECTING ROD! Took the head off and pulled the piston straight out of the engine. I tore the whole engine apart and replaced the rod, which i will NEVER do again.
Gutless, ugly, and handles like crap.
although I've never owned a turbo
On a side note, that black one looks GREAT!

post #20 of 23 Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:

Moto Guzzi has "aways" transverse v-twin. Why oval pistons? I know of at least two other 6-cylinder engines that competed directly with the CBX, as well some contemporary bikes in Honda's own line that outperformed the CBX in almost every way. Why no ingenuity? Because the basic internal combustion engine is so well-refined in its current state that there's almost no need for it. Besides the massive costs R&D takes up, you also have to account for tooling up to produce an all-new design (both of which are always passed on to the consumer) as well as the ultimate performance of said product. It just isn't the best, or in most cases even adequate, bang-for-the-buck to be had.

Hub steering front ends, rotary engines, carbon fiber frames, radial engines (admittedly ancient, but still COOL...), diesel engines, "y"-bikes... they just don't make financial sense for most companies and most consumers. That's why you don't see them very often, if at all. Of the above-mentioned bikes, the most privately successful from a business standpoint has probably been the "Y"-bike by Can-Am. Spyder, I think it's called... and even then you as the consumer are still going to be shelling out BIG bucks to get the damn thing. Sure, it's probably more techno-chic than spending the same amount on a Harley, but that's a whole 'nother bag of potatoes there. Pronounce "POE-TAY-TOES", for our friends on the other side of the pond

post #21 of 23 Old 04-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Aquilifer

My friends CX would leave my VT500 Ascot for dead. They have long legs.

Call me "old" but my cafe/bobber/rat bike is going to be air cooled and kick start only.

post #22 of 23 Old 04-06-2011, 03:56 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I am not sure what happened between 1982 & 1983 within the HGA structure, but the 82 CX500 Turbo had a fit & finish build quality that shamed the 83 CX650...

post #23 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Tirone

wow, Wrenchmonkees cx500 is one of the coolest i've seen. great job. I have an old cx500 sitting in the garage, and I love that bike. it was great for me in san francisco. i haven't run it in a while, but i can't bring myself to sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cx500.jpg (60.6 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode