5Likes
  • 3 Post By bcarpman
  • 1 Post By Devin4242
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x

post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Custom 919 Pics - Pretty much finished

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a couple of years. Got a lot of great ideas (THANKS), which I put into this bike. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm happy with the results given most of the parts came from ebay (I didn't spend a lot). The goal was to create a lightweight, high torque bike that was fun on the street. At present it sits at just under 400lbs with 3.5 gal of fuel, ready to ride.

Visually, I was looking for a look that emphasized the engine and other running gear. Hence the subdued black paint (bedliner). I was originally going to cut the tail off to make a single seater cafe racer style, but I liked the current look and functionality so much I decided not to.

Mods:
- 929 Exhaust with custom adjustable CF muffler (attached a Supertrapp end cap to an open muffler)
- RC51 front brakes with radial master and braided lines
- Integrated front and rear turn signals
- Custom fiberglass tail without grab handle
- Racetech Front suspension and Daugherty Rear shock
- 520 Chain and sprockets
- Lithium Battery
- Flat Bar (tried clip-ons, but they were just too low for my aging back)
- Custom Fitted Seat
- Underbody LEDs (white)
- Front LED driving lights integrated into radiator shrouds (cars definitely see me now)
- Front and rear dash cams (rear cam doubles as a rearview display on phone screen)
- High output relocated horn
- Hundreds of bracket, hose, and misc. part deletes that added up to a box of over 20lbs of crap (not counting the 40lb exhaust).

This started out as a fun 2nd bike for when I wanted something smaller than my Harley. Now I barely ride the Harley, and plan to do a couple track days this spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side_mod.jpg (347.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg front quarter_mod.jpg (294.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg rear_mod.jpg (260.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg front lights sm.jpg (135.0 KB, 100 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM
919 Rider

Great bike, looks mean.

post #3 of 15 Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Looks good! Especially like the exhaust and the LED lights.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Very Nice! Well done.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Centurion

Garage
nice one. What muffler do you have ?

I'll definitely shorten my mid pipe, to get the middle of my muffler at the same level as the rear footpeg.

post #6 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I just bought a cheap ebay muffler of the right inlet diameter. They're all straight through glasspack design. You don't want to use the baffle that comes with it (very restrictive), so I modified a Supertrapp end cap to fit (which I also got off ebay for $40). Functions identical to an equivalent size supertrapp (which are also straight through glasspack inside), but much lighter.

I had to fabricate a new midpipe to get it to tuck in like that. Cut and fit stainless bend and pipe, then took it to a guy to TIG. I was very picky about how the muffler sat. Hate when they stick out or up too far.

I'm guessing the muffler won't last forever. I eventually want to build a custom muffler that tucks in where the center stand was, like on some newer bikes. But that one has lasted fine for a year now, so who knows if I'll ever get around to doing it the harder way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
nice one. What muffler do you have ?

I'll definitely shorten my mid pipe, to get the middle of my muffler at the same level as the rear footpeg.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Centurion

Garage
Nice.

If you go to the blue winter project thread, i mocked in paint an angled version of an exhaust position that might look cool.
The muffler would be a bit shorter, sit right under and be parallel to the bent part of the rear set, right under the passenger peg.
I'm thinking it'd look pretty cool with a muffler that has a bit of a curve to it.

Something like the MIVV Ghibli, maybe. though I doubt you can find a lot of mufflers with a curve on it.

Or maybe even the dual exhaust might look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarpman View Post
I just bought a cheap ebay muffler of the right inlet diameter. They're all straight through glasspack design. You don't want to use the baffle that comes with it (very restrictive), so I modified a Supertrapp end cap to fit (which I also got off ebay for $40). Functions identical to an equivalent size supertrapp (which are also straight through glasspack inside), but much lighter.

I had to fabricate a new midpipe to get it to tuck in like that. Cut and fit stainless bend and pipe, then took it to a guy to TIG. I was very picky about how the muffler sat. Hate when they stick out or up too far.

I'm guessing the muffler won't last forever. I eventually want to build a custom muffler that tucks in where the center stand was, like on some newer bikes. But that one has lasted fine for a year now, so who knows if I'll ever get around to doing it the harder way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.51.17.jpg (49.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.53.10.jpg (56.6 KB, 38 views)

post #8 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 01:59 PM
WERA481

Nice bike!
What bars did you use?

post #9 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks. Just some 27in flat bars I had sitting around from another project. I'm still not sure I love them. Stock bars are much more comfortable for everyday riding, but these look better and are better for aggressive riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkraft View Post
Nice bike!
What bars did you use?

post #10 of 15 Old 01-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Left of Centre

Yeah, nice!

post #11 of 15 Old 01-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Ride with grace.

Cheers to you, sir! Looks great, and I'm sure feels even better than it looks on the road. I think of the piddly tings I've done to my 919 and hang my head in homage to true creativity. Bang the walls and shoot the halls (I think that's an expression, or a new one now), you've created a serious rebel.

D.
bcarpman likes this.

post #12 of 15 Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Tesserarius

A stock 919 is listed as weighing 455 pounds, all fluids, minus gas, or 485 full of gas.

Tell me if I have this correct. You took 20 pounds worth of crap off the bike. The exhaust system that you now have is 40 pounds lighter than the OEM exhaust. So you have a custom 919 that weighs 60 pounds less than a box stock 919? Pretty amazing. I'd like to see a pic of that thing on a scale.

My 929. Appearently going down hill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0268.jpg (233.0 KB, 35 views)
Ditch likes this.

post #13 of 15 Old 03-11-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

LOL, I don’t blame your skepticism. Been building race cars, motorcycles, mtn bikes, etc, for over 3 decades now, so I’ve had my share of showing up to the weigh station to disbelieving inspectors. Once built a 19lb full suspension Mtn bike where others were more like 25 at the lightest. No one believed me till they picked it up.

This bike was weighed on an accurate 400lb postal scale, one wheel at a time, with blocks underneath the other wheel to maintain level. Probably not perfect but within a pound or two.

I did not weigh every item, so my numbers in the above post aren’t really representative, but here are some of the weight savings in no particular order.

Exhaust: wow, with a CF muffler, that’s really significant weight. Someone want to chime in on just how much the stock exhaust and shields weigh?
Lithium Battery: (~5lbs)
Engine Cleanup: Deletion of various “unnecessary” canisters, valves, lines, etc. (more mass than I would have thunk)
Replace stock mirrors, turn signals with light weight integrated
Fender eliminator. Rear signals integrated into plate mount
520 Chain with Ultralight sprocket.
Grab handle and support delete
Several hours of steel bracket trimming and removal (center stand, previously mentioned engine component brackets, etc)
Aftermarket flat bar (have you ever felt the heft of the stock bar? HEAVY)

….and probably a few I’m forgetting.

About the only place I fudged is notice I said “with 3.5gal of fuel”. Most magazines weigh the bike full of fuel, which I’ve always thought was unfair to bikes like the 919 that are built to be ridden (unlike some poser bikes with 3 gal tanks). It was 409 lbs full of fuel, but I think 3.5 gal is an honest state to measure it. I don't doubt for a second that I took more than 60lbs off it. Friend compared it to his CB500 and subjectively it feels much lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
A stock 919 is listed as weighing 455 pounds, all fluids, minus gas, or 485 full of gas.

Tell me if I have this correct. You took 20 pounds worth of crap off the bike. The exhaust system that you now have is 40 pounds lighter than the OEM exhaust. So you have a custom 919 that weighs 60 pounds less than a box stock 919? Pretty amazing. I'd like to see a pic of that thing on a scale.

My 929. Appearently going down hill.

post #14 of 15 Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM
The Instigator

I hate to break it to you but that bike is over 450 pounds. You're even running cast iron rear sets

And the stock system is 16.5lbs for the pipes, 2 for the Y-pipe and 10lbs for the header. 28.5 pounds.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #15 of 15 Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

409 full of fuel... You dropped 75 pounds off the stock weight? Mine was 460 with almost no fuel last I checked my bike. Did you weigh the bike on the moon or something? That's nutty. Bmw barely managed to get 80 pounds off their s1000rr and the entire bike is made of carbon fiber. And costs 80 grand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode