Chicken strip - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Chicken strip

I was just thinking about the origins of the term "chicken strip" and I thought it might be worth discussing.
OK back up to the year 1978 in San Jose California, I got my first motorcycle with insurance money for damage to the rear of my 1970 toyota corolla.
After getting confident on the bike I thought giving a ride to my brother would be ok, but his sudden movements during lean freaked me out!
Leading to the next time I was to give a ride to anyone there now needed to be a little instruction. I simply said "no chickenizm" and if I had to, explained it meant no leaning away from a turn.

If you can remember the first time you heard "chicken strip" maybe we can narrow down how the meaning has evolved and originated.

It was many years later (1990) when I was enlightened that a "chicken strip" was the edge of a motorcycle tire that has not touched pavement yet.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Allons-y!

Garage
I'm afraid I'm not much help, unless we're talking about Dairy Queen.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #3 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Out for a ride.

During my rider's course, the instructor told me what a chicken strip was and told me not to follow riders with them. He said its the one inch wide wear track because the rider is afraid to lean the bike, and they will inevitably not make a turn, so don't follow them off the road.

post #4 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Awesomeness Dispenser

I've always understood it to mean "the amount of tire unused because you are too chicken to lean it over."

Seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Street/Track Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6 White
Retired: 2004 Honda 599 Asphalt
Wheels: '98 CBR900RR Rear, '97 CBR600F3 Front
RizomaŽ Mods: Frame sliders | 22mm bar | Sportline grips | Bar ends + sliders | Radial Naked mirrors | Rearsets | Crankcase Slider
Other Mods: Pazzo Shorties | Michelin Power Pure | CustomLED Integrated Taillight | Fasst Co. Bar Weights | Ducati Turn Signals
post #5 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I have chicken strips. They are about 1 millimeter wide.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #6 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarx View Post
I've always understood it to mean "the amount of tire unused because you are too chicken to lean it over."

Seemed pretty straightforward to me.
+1 dunno where it originated tho.

as for me... rear no strips... front small ones 1/4in or so, i simply cant lean the 919 any more without scraping hard parts.

post #7 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I've always thought it was the over-excessive wear in the center of a tire due to lack of leaning in corners. So is the the center wear or the unused edges?

post #8 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Former 919er

Lack of chicken strips are over-rated.

Firstly, around my place I need to do 80-90 mph around the corners away from civilization just to get down to about a 1/2 inch strip. There's no tigher corners away from people here. I'm not willing to go faster than that and risk loosing my bike and license or worse just to satisfy my ego with the track boys and those that rip it carelessly in populated areas.

If there were tight 2nd and 3rd gear turns around here than my tires might appear a little less poultry-orientated. Those of you with backyard playgrounds with such bends, I'm jealous.

Secondly, anyone can use up more of their tire tread by using improper body-mechanics, i.e. not getting their body on the inside. Alternatively, a rider can choose lines to tighten the radius of the turns for the sake of getting more lean, sacrificing proper corner entry visibility, etc.

Thirdly, for the above reasons and more, I find it offensive when people make comments that riders with chicken strips aren't safe riders. I know several life-long sport riders with 1/2" strips and some of these guys are long-term safety instructors.

Fourthly, there are WT members here that stated that they weren't able to use all their tire until they did suspension upgrades. So bike and bike status must also be considered.

Call me chicken, I don't care. One track day on my PR2's and I'm sure the strips would be gone.

Back to OP question, Chicken strip origin - I always assumed that the genesis was that the larger the strip, the more chicken (afraid) the rider is to get the bike leaned, i.e. go fast around the bends.

post #9 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Awesomeness Dispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
I find it offensive when people make comments that riders with chicken strips aren't safe riders. I know several life-long sport riders with 1/2" strips and some of these guys are long-term safety instructors.
I don't think the implication is that the rider is unsafe... just unexperienced at lean. Thus, it's best not to be behind someone with big chicken strips in corners because it's (1) unused rubber and will change feel to the rider and (2) you don't know how the rider will react to the lean.

i.e... the video screaming around the net of the guy on the blue CBR taking out the guy with the camera.

I always assumed riders with big strips are SAFER on the streets because they take fewer risks.

Street/Track Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6 White
Retired: 2004 Honda 599 Asphalt
Wheels: '98 CBR900RR Rear, '97 CBR600F3 Front
RizomaŽ Mods: Frame sliders | 22mm bar | Sportline grips | Bar ends + sliders | Radial Naked mirrors | Rearsets | Crankcase Slider
Other Mods: Pazzo Shorties | Michelin Power Pure | CustomLED Integrated Taillight | Fasst Co. Bar Weights | Ducati Turn Signals
post #10 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Seņor Calamares

if there's no twisties around your area, just for the petty sake of losing those chicken strips, a.) find an empty, clean parking lot, b.) start riding CCW in consecutively decreasing diameter circles c.) repeat b in CW. And voila! Lets call this the Lee Parks method lolol

post #11 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by applespeed View Post
if there's no twisties around your area, just for the petty sake of losing those chicken strips, a.) find an empty, clean parking lot, b.) start riding CCW in consecutively decreasing diameter circles c.) repeat b in CW. And voila! Lets call this the Lee Parks method lolol
Awesome! I might have to try that.

post #12 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

sandpaper has the same effect without the dizziness.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #13 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Seņor Calamares

haha the key here is to use as much of the edges of the tire as possible, so push the bike down into the turn, instead of hanging off. Oh, and dont drop your bike!!!

post #14 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
You should know better then to bring up anything to do with sand and tires in the same post!!

post #15 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Bacon-powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
Probably. but it's not as fun.

I was thinking about chicken strips this morning on the way to work and started looking for a parking lot to grind them down in. I used to run figure 8's at lunchtime on my VT500. It was a fun skill builder.

The first time I heard the term "chicken strip" was here on WT earlier this year. But even though it was a new term to me, I knew exactly what it meant. The strips of untouched rubber at the edges of the tire.

Preschool - Kawasaki 100 enduro
Grade School - Honda CB 125
High School - Honda 400 Hawk
College - Honda VT500 Ascot
Real life - Honda 919
post #16 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Call me chicken, I don't care. One track day on my PR2's and I'm sure the strips would be gone.
After doing my first track day last weekend I can say this is true.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #17 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Lack of chicken strips are over-rated.

Firstly, around my place I need to do 80-90 mph around the corners away from civilization just to get down to about a 1/2 inch strip.

One can easily do it going 10mph in the parking lot. BTW, it's not me. This dude should wear gloves too

[youtube]9OlTumhIVn8[/youtube]

post #18 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
MSF blacksheep

Lack of chicken strips in most cases represents poor posture, especially in an urban setting. There are exceptions no doubt, but don't be afraid to hang off a bit and preserve traction.

post #19 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
Lack of chicken strips in most cases represents poor posture, especially in an urban setting. There are exceptions no doubt, but don't be afraid to hang off a bit and preserve traction.
Since we both mentioned poor posture as a contributor to lack of chicken strips on some unskilled riders tires, and since this video is likely the one mentioned above, here is a great example.

Poor posture left this rider with no margin for error. He was already out of tire when he found himself in too hot and wide and likely target fixated on the oncoming bikes.

I bet he has no chicken strips.

‪Johnny5 Head on Crash 07/23/2011‬‏ - YouTube

post #20 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I agree. With proper posture, you should be able to turn tighter, but not necessarily be leaning the bike way over. YOU will be leaned over. Lean too far and you'll eventually low-side anyway.

I had smaller chicken strips on my stockers than I do on my current 2CT's. But I've leaned farther over on the 2CTs than I did on the stockers. The difference in the tire profile, combined with better traction, means I don't have to lean over, I'm just more confident in the tire that I can.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #21 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I have about 1/4" Good Posture Strips

post #22 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Love the YouTube video^^^^

post #23 of 39 Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I know a guy with a 1098S Duc as his track day bike. Obviously no strips. His everyday rider a Speed Triple has one full inch of Chicken strips on the bike. His reasoning behind this..."Why they hell do I need to lean that far on the streets when I can do it on the track?"

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #24 of 39 Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Video

When a crash like this happens, what happens next?
Hey man you OK? Yea I'm not hurt. Alright see you later. Bye!
You come up cussing and slinging fists?
Oh well accidents do happen.
Or do you call the cops and insurance?
It could have been a Nissian Titan pulling a ski boat!

[
post #25 of 39 Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
I know a guy with a 1098S Duc as his track day bike. Obviously no strips. His everyday rider a Speed Triple has one full inch of Chicken strips on the bike. His reasoning behind this..."Why they hell do I need to lean that far on the streets when I can do it on the track?"
Agreed. I have wee little strips on my tires as well...closer to Maryland Mike's than your Duck pilot buddy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have about 1/4" Good Posture Strips
Yup, the perfect amount...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #26 of 39 Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Technically, hanging off does not preserve traction per se.
Hanging off properly allows a given bike at a given speed at a given radius of turn, to utilize less degrees of lean.

post #27 of 39 Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
MSF blacksheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Technically, hanging off does not preserve traction per se.
Hanging off properly allows a given bike at a given speed at a given radius of turn, to utilize less degrees of lean.
Exactly

post #28 of 39 Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Exactly
But, I now see you were quite correct in the sense of saving for future use, so please accept my apology for my interpretive error.

Also.
Some may not realize that the needed lean angle also takes into account your turn in roll rate.
As general rule, for a constant radius type of line, the faster your roll in rate is, the less your maximum lean angle needs to be. So being as agressive as you can on your roll rate, actually helps to cut down on the ultimate lean angle needed, yet again providing another "saving for future use", lean angle that is. And for some strange reason, there seems to be a relationship between lean angle and how much sidewall one ends up using.

post #29 of 39 Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
This rather nails it.
I have found my street riding gets slower as my track times get better.
Once you have cooked on the track, you realize that no matter how fast you thought you were going on the street, you were actually putzing in comparison.
IF one can cook on the street at a decent track like pace, then they deserve to send themselves to the Isle of Man or the Ulster GP and do it right. Oddly enough, it seems to me that over the years, the more extreme the street nutter was that I met, the greater their resistance was to even going on a track. I still have not figured that one out.

post #30 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
MSF blacksheep

I also find that as my bike gets better, i.e. lighter, more power, better tires, better suspension, better brakes, etc, i don't need to push it as hard around town to stay ahead of the other riders im with. Hence the larger strips than before. Plus i hate waiting at the end of a good road for the slackers. Id rather keep their headlights in my mirror so i don't have to wait and i know no one ate it trying to keep up

post #31 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I also find that as my bike gets better, i.e. lighter, more power, better tires, better suspension, better brakes, etc, i don't need to push it as hard around town to stay ahead of the other riders im with. Hence the larger strips than before. Plus i hate waiting at the end of a good road for the slackers. Id rather keep their headlights in my mirror so i don't have to wait and i know no one ate it trying to keep up
Pushing it hard around town.
Pushing hard around town to stay ahead.
Where all the cars are, and invariably also the high risk left hand turn scenarios.
Hmmm.
Volunteering to be a ASWTH, eh ?
(A Statistic Waiting To Happen.)
Or
Perhaps the Isle of Man beckons you.

Sorry, I can't stay silent re pushing hard around town.
Absolute madness, always was, and always will be.
This coming from a 1970s era scratcher.

post #32 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
MSF blacksheep

Statistic waiting to happen? I think not ...

Ilse of man beckoning? Who doesn't it ...

post #33 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Statistic waiting to happen? I think not ...
Good to know, because that means you're really not pushing hard around town and point to point racing with your buds.

post #34 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
MSF blacksheep

Quote:
Good to know, because that means you're really not pushing hard around town and point to point racing with your buds.
You and i are two peas in a pod just say things differently

Point to point is exactly right. As you can imagine, good roads in illinois are far and few between. I have a nice route that links all the good roads around town and most are off the busy streets. So we just ride from road to road kicking it up a notch on the good ones then calmly head towards the next twisty bit.

post #35 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
McTavish

Quote:
You and i are two peas in a pod just say things differently

Point to point is exactly right. As you can imagine, good roads in illinois are far and few between. I have a nice route that links all the good roads around town and most are off the busy streets. So we just ride from road to road kicking it up a notch on the good ones then calmly head towards the next twisty bit.
Ahhhhh, so we will be able to read your ongoing posts for years to come.
That is much much better than the flip side of the coin.

post #36 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM
MSF blacksheep

Quote:
Ahhhhh, so we will be able to read your ongoing posts for years to come.
That is much much better than the flip side of the coin.
Indeed, indeed

Afterall im a MSF instructor, i have a reputation to uphold

post #37 of 39 Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I have chicken strips and am proud of it damn it, I ride within my limits and don't worry about what the other guys think.

post #38 of 39 Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I have chicken strips and am proud of it damn it, I ride within my limits and don't worry about what the other guys think.
You are truly wise, while obviously still having fun.

post #39 of 39 Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
You are truly wise, while obviously still having fun.
Don't know about that, just know my bike has far more capability than I do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode