post #2 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Sounds like Hugh Curran needs to get his head out of his ass

post #3 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

He probably typed that on his blackberry while weaving through traffic.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Im sure everyone who reads that article will pay it the weight of concern that it is clearly due...idiot.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Brain stolen again?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit..I don't want to get more up tight!

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #6 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Princeps Prior

stupid liberal

post #7 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Gran Tirono

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

The comments in the article are worth reading that steaming pile of crap. Or I assume they would be, since I read the first line and then skipped to the comments, just to watch him get eviscerated by every single commenter (except that one that said he was handsome, sarcasm?)

Anyways, What a douche.

post #8 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Dumbest article I think I have seen this year.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Eh, most of the time people just write stuff like this to get attention, the same way "news" outlets report garbage just to get ratings. I don't take either one seriously.

post #10 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

I really enjoyed this response to the author

"Dear Mr. Curran,

If you are truly interested in public safety, one would think you would be more focused on the leading cause of death in this country: Obesity.

Now Hugh, I've seen your photo, and lets face it, you're a fatty pants. Your cholesterol level is much more likely to end up costing the public money, than all motorcyclists combined. We are, you see, a very small minority in the US, whereas as you, and your doughnut loving friends, are bankrupting the healthcare system, simply because you don't have the discipline to pass up a Baskin Robins every once in a while.

Of course, that also explains your problem with motorcycles. It's hard to stuff a Whopper into your saggy jowls, while riding one.

The solution seems clear: It's time to ban fat people. Specifically, fat people with online degrees in "journalism", who write articles that are meant to create controversy, rather than be of any informative value.

But wait, that would infringe on your right to stuff your face behind the wheel, while not paying attention to the road, and that, of course, is what America is all about; the freedom from personal responsibility.

I'll cut this short. It's close to lunch time, and I know the KFC down the street from your little cubby hole, has an all you can eat deal this week.

Bon Appetite."

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
^^^^^^ Very, very nice...

I told him he sounds like Hitler in his article. "Kill the Jews and the problems will go away"...

post #12 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Cornicen

Wow, that article was pretty much a load of garbage.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #13 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
MSF blacksheep

He fails to see the root cause of motorcycle fatalities, lack of proper training and safety gear. In 2008, illinois had around 230 fatalities of which like 75 percent were not wearing a helmet. The single leading injury that kills motorcyclists is head trauma. Also i think something close to 90% of motorcyclists are self taught or taught by a friend, therefore lacking the proper knowledge and skill set to effectively avoid a crash.

I will follow by saying that i am against manditory helmet laws, as we deserve the freedom of choice. However, if people were educated about the risks of riding and the rewards of wearing safety gear, fatalities would decrease. I am an advocate for mandatory training just like driver ed for a car license. I wrote my final paper for my english class on this exact subject if anyone wants a copy.

post #14 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Tirone

Brilliant logic this taint sniffer bases his article on. By the same logic, we should ban cars, since more people at killed in car wrecks than plane crashes.

07.5 Tuono
04 599

"Any driver can splatter bugs on his windshield. Few splatter them on the side windows too."
post #15 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
. I wrote my final paper for my english class on this exact subject if anyone wants a copy.
I'd love to have a copy.

I took a motorcycle safety course back in 06 when I first got my motorcycle license. This course is mandatory for any person under the age of 18 looking to acquire their motorcycle license which was the reason why I took the course only being 17 at the time. I found it very informative and helpful since i had only ridden a Yamaha "Big Wheel" 80 when i was younger.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #16 of 20 Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Somebody needs to punch this guy in the throat.

post #17 of 20 Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Or in his F.U.P.A. (fat upper penis area)

post #18 of 20 Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Good ol' statistics. Use what you want, ignore the rest, and call it incontrovertible proof. This writer, and many more, are saying to themselves: "Most people won't bother to check my 'facts' anyway, and the ones that do don't have a national media forum to present a refutation, so who cares if I'm dead wrong?", and a self serving idiot (my addition).

According to the HURT report, and backed up by the European MAIDS study, over 66% of fatal motorcycle accidents (69% in the MAIDS study) were directly caused by car drivers failing to see the motorcyclist. We're still dead, and there are rarely any substantial penalties for such inattention. It would seem that this is a more telling statistic than anything he quoted, and to address this and the actual motorcycle and car fatality numbers (4,008 vs 35,691 in 2004) and you could save considerably more lives with one simple act -- ban cars. The 35,000 and change lives saved will be slightly offset by increases in public transportation and common carrier deaths, but given the statistically greater safety of both of those compared to cars as many as 31,000 lives will be saved. On the motorcycle side of the equation things would improve as well, cutting fatalities by a whopping 2,700+ riders / passengers.

Of course we will always have the drunk undertrained inattentive overconfident riders killing themselves, and the innumerable ex car drivers who switch to motorcycles and off themselves as well, so the motorcycle stats would take an alarming turn starting some 6 months after the car ban is enacted. Two years later there will be a huge brouhaha about the numbers, but it will die away when the person doing the most shouting about "the disturbing statistics showing ... " dies in a bathtub fall (Those monsters should have been banned centuries ago!") and the voice is considerably quieted. Besides, nobody bothers to check the numbers anyway (this or any other time) so it all blows over.

Ignore him. All he's doing is trying to increase his flagging reader / viewer numbers with free ink and sensationalism. Any other action taken gives him what he wants. A fatter paycheck.

Oh, this guy is about as liberal as Dubya.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #19 of 20 Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Immune

World is a small place.

I was just over at a friends house ranting passionately about something non motorcycle related, and his fiancee walked in and said "Are you talking about Hugh's article?"
It gave me pause for a second and I said "no, but there was an article I read recently written by a guy named Hugh and it's got a lot of bikers pissed off..." My friend laughed and said "You've read it? That's my friend, he is totally amazed at the coverage it's gotten"

So I had to ask if Hugh really believed what he wrote. First off his personal stance is pretty much anti-motorcyle, he is also written articles critical of cars too. I'm guessing his personal beleifs would not jive with most, but then again neither would mine. However, I'm told that his writing style exaggerates this greatly, and he is aware of it, but it's how he writes.
The article was originally intended as a straw man. It's purpose originally was to allow the paper to publish a rebuttal put forth and sponsored (and paid for I might add) by a local motorcycle dealer. And the author knew then when he was writing it. The paper has since decided to let the article stand alone though.

I'm told that the author has written a few editorials before, but nothing has gotten any attention. It seems that this is just something he does for fun, like a hobby. Right now he's enjoying his 15 minutes of fame, and I imagine that time may be spent sitting within his locked house pretending that nobody is home

post #20 of 20 Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 PM
jrj
Optio

Wow...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode