Centerstand vs Side - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Centerstand vs Side

I searched around, but still can't come up with a set in stone idea on the subject. I'm wanting to add a centerstand to use in place of the side on my 919 but am having trouble weighing out the pros/cons of the centerstand as apposed to the side. I know maintenance would be easier on the center, but my main concern is parking. How stable will it be on relatively flat asphalt with wind gusts or high temps? I considered the Phobman stand, but would like something attached to the bike instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

It gets pretty windy here in COS and the bike has never moved on me. However with 60+mph gusts I am sure it might happen one of these days. But I have seen a Goldwing in my parking lot in it side side in the morning in the afternoon it was on its side due to the wind, my bike on it center stand was perfectly fine. Also, with hot asphalt you don't have to worry about the weight shifting on the side stand and the bike falling over due to it. I use the side stand for a quick trip in to a store or something. The center stands is used to parl it for the night and while I am at work for 12 hrs.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemings View Post
I searched around, but still can't come up with a set in stone idea on the subject. I'm wanting to add a centerstand to use in place of the side on my 919 but am having trouble weighing out the pros/cons of the centerstand as apposed to the side. I know maintenance would be easier on the center, but my main concern is parking. How stable will it be on relatively flat asphalt with wind gusts or high temps? I considered the Phobman stand, but would like something attached to the bike instead.
A lean stand held bike will be on its side before a centre stand held bike in every possible circumstance I can think of.
Especially a 919 because of the high lean stand angle that puts more force on it.
True, with a centre stand you lose the rear tire support, but if you are that worried, a small plate under the lean stand feet will serve you infinitely better than a lean stand with no extra plate under it.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 PM
just send it.

Garage
Why not install the center stand and have the option to use both... I've got the center stand, but I really only use it when I am working on the bike or storing it.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
Why not install the center stand and have the option to use both... I've got the center stand, but I really only use it when I am working on the bike or storing it.
I hate lean stands.
I'll take a centre stand every time I can.
They do have a tendency to grind though.
I leave mine off aside from any major touring, reason being the heavy track day use.
And now that I've raised up the bike, I need to lengthen the already short lean stand. Right now, a wee tug and it's rear wheel off the ground and just on the front tire and stand foot.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I like having a centerstand, I've never had issues with lean angle or weight, the pros outnumber the cons IMHO.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Tesserarius

My last bike had a centerstand and I really liked it. It just really clutters up the underside IMO. I won't be putting one on the 9'er, the side stand is just fine for short trips. And I keep it on a race stand in the garage.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I added a ctr stand to mine, my old magna had one too, haven't dragged it yet, hit the pegs, though. Dave

Are we having fun yet?
post #9 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Tirone

Bought the 919 centerstand day after I got the bike, the Honda one. I love it, parked on super hot asphalt without any give, while the sidestand on the same asphalt punched a big hole (almost fell, luckily the lazy receptionist was oogling my bike all day and noticed). I park it on the centerstand all the time now, it just feels more secure to me, and once you get pro you can put your feet on the pegs, rock it forward, let the clutch out and ride away.... weeee!

post #10 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Aquilifer

The 919 should be stabler in high winds compared to a fully faired bike.

post #11 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Milites Gregarius

I can't imagine my bike without the center stand....

post #12 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I have a center stand on the '03. Great for maintenance and more stable than the side stand alone. I have had the occasion to park the bike on the side stand in my garage and come out to see it leaning against another bike due to a complete deflation of the rear tire within 30 minutes(puncture). Using a center stand would prevent this from happening.

I have also used this device when touring.This has proven to be very practical in high wind conditions especially when using a cover overnight. It provides four point contact with the ground(2 tires, side stand, & Krutch) and is height adjustable.

Bike Krutch :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #13 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

^^ Interesting piece.

I installed a center stand the other week, it's bomb I tell you.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
dr1
dr1

Ok this is the only bike ive had without a center stand, and my rear tire has deflated more then once that has never put it on the ground, dont know why that would have happened to yours.. maybe your kickstand is terribly bent lol. Have quite a few of those in my garage from other bikes.

People praise the center for making it easy to work on, but literally, I kick an upside down mallet under my swingarm while lifting on the bike a little, for chain maintenence etc.. lol. Other then having to retreive my mallet it costs me no more effort :P

I'd would have loved it if my bike had come with one, but not a worthwhile purchase for me.

And frankly I would like to see someone park there bike on fresh asphalt on the centerstand for any length of time and then try to retreive it, lol. The doubled surface area is not going to save you from sinking, ive tried much larger objects on the sidestand and still have sunk into asphalt. Of course with the sidestand your not doomed to be stuck there until you can pull it straight out :P

Just a little devils advocate here

post #15 of 16 Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1 View Post
Ok this is the only bike ive had without a center stand, and my rear tire has deflated more then once that has never put it on the ground, dont know why that would have happened to yours.. maybe your kickstand is terribly bent lol. Have quite a few of those in my garage from other bikes.

Just a little devils advocate here
I believe that your niner may not be an '02/'03(different rear shock) and/or your preload is not at its lowest setting which could account for yours not falling over with a complete deflation of the rear tire. There is a big difference between our '03 and '06 as it sits on the side stand with regards to attitude from vertical.

If the kickstand was bent, it would have more lean angle on the side stand and less of a tendency to topple to the right.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #16 of 16 Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Out for a ride.

My first bike only had a cs so that is what I got used to. It was great for maint and the bike never did fall over, so I can't say anything bad about it other than the effort to get the bike up on it every time I stopped riding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode