Carrying your lunch on a Motorcycle - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bartsitarski

post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Carrying your lunch on a Motorcycle

For those that commute on their bikes and bring lunch to work/school, what do you pack your lunch in?

For the last 10 years, I've been really lazy and either bought lunch at the on site cafeteria or caught a ride with people going out for lunch. In December I jumped ship and started a new job at a small company. The pay is better (yay) but the culture is also very odd where everyone works through lunch and eats at their desk. I guess the thought is that since we don't punch a clock, working through lunch gets us out of here 20-40 minutes earlier. Combine that with the extreme cost of preparing to toss a 2nd kiddo in daycare, I'm now bringing my own lunch work (booo.. yea I know I'm spoiled).

I've got a VFR1200 and I have a GIVI tank lock system with 4L bag I picked up off eBay a few years back for a steal (whopping $60). I have a GIVI top case and OEM hard side bags, but for commuting, I like to leave those off the bike. Saddlebags make the bike feel really wide and I feel like I'm going to snag them on a bumper during an emergency maneuver. The top case just looks ugly as fuck. It's also got a giant red lens that a cager may mistake for tail light and miss my REAL brake light.

My old lady thinks I should just use the top case and be done with it. BUT since I use my tank bag EVERY day and store basic essentials, I'd like to just get a bigger GIVI tank lock bag, but damn are they expensive (~$150). For now, I'm going to old backpack route until I decide. I just figure whatever disposable income I have now will disappear when #2 gets here.

What does everyone else use?

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I toss Everything in my RKA tank bag, lunch, coffee, tinted shield, lightweight gloves, kindle, external hard drive, phone and mp3 player

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Josh

Garage
I have a cheap expandable magnetic tank bag that easily holds my lunch and my "pocket junk." I think I spent $60 on it? But, since you already have the tank lock stuff, I would really say just hold your $ and see if you can find a good deal on a bigger locking bag. Having a tank bag blow off in the wind is a real scare if the magnets let go.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Since I already have the 'tank lock ring', I won't go with any other tank bag. Having a tank bag that doesn't actually touch the tank is awesome. The bike isn't new anymore, but it's one less thing I have to worry about.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 10 Old 04-04-2017, 11:03 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

FastPack Universal - The Cycle Guys Inc.

I've had one of these for a long time and I really like it. I keep it on the bike 24/7 and it really comes in handy.

There's an old thread on here I made with some pictures but I'm too dumb to cut and paste the link on my smart phone and I'm way far away from my laptop.
If you search for my post or go to their website you'll get the idea.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM
The Cripple

Krieger backpack. I have s r25 I used until I jumped up to the r30. I could sell the r25 to to you cheap. Best backpack ever!

post #7 of 10 Old 04-05-2017, 11:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
FastPack Universal - The Cycle Guys Inc.

I've had one of these for a long time and I really like it. I keep it on the bike 24/7 and it really comes in handy.

There's an old thread on here I made with some pictures but I'm too dumb to cut and paste the link on my smart phone and I'm way far away from my laptop.
If you search for my post or go to their website you'll get the idea.
Those look great. I have side bags that are 1/2 fixed size and then expand out to double size the same why that one expands.

I'm trying to imagine the same system but with alum bars like a folding box for side bag. They would hide away, then fold out when needed.

I think a combo cloth with metal frame would work well. Cloth bags don't have enough structure to support much weight. I've torn mine without much weight.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Instead of spending extra money on a new tank bag or backpack, why not just keep the top case on which gives you the storage you need, is lockable, and waterproof? When I used to commute on the bike in NY, my Givi E55 never came off the bike. I also installed a light kit which made the top case double as an extra brake light and turn signals. Maybe you could turn that red lens into an actual functioning light that decreases your chance of getting rear ended.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Optio

Garage
Why not carry a Subway gift card and use your lunch hour to make a quick run?

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Why not carry a Subway gift card and use your lunch hour to make a quick run?
That's the wierd part about this new job. In the past, that's what I did. I would just catch a ride with a group going out for lunch and not worry about it. We are so busy that everyone works through lunch and eats at their desk. Since I'm still the new guy and want to prove that I bring 'value' here, I can't be the one guy who leaves for an hour in the middle of the day. I guess I could... but who wants to stick around for an hour after everyone else has gone home.

For now, I'm doing the whole top case thing. As @Sckill said, it's paid for and waterproof. I'm still eyeballing a discontinued Kappa Tanklock tank bag, but for now, it's just nice to be back on the bike.

[This space for rent]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode