Buying a slightly used bike vs. New - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Philanthropist
 
Dave W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 742
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Buying a slightly used bike vs. New

My local dealer has a 2010 VFR 1200F (not DCT) listed at 13,500. They're good people and I've spent a lot of money on bikes and gear there over the years.

A small dealer about 100 miles away has a used 2010 VFR 1200F (not DCT) listed at 10,999. The bike has 650 miles on it.

I want to give my local dealer the chance to make the sale. In either case my 919 would be a trade in.

Is it worth trying to see what my local guy can do or should I just drive out of town and get the used one?

Dave W. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 596
Rep Power: 1
 
I would be upfront with my dealer, and let him know what you're considering doing. Get his best price. Then, I'd VISIT the other dealer, and let HIM know what you're considering doing...you can tell him the best price you've been offered on a new one. See if the used dealer drops to below 10K. Once you have both discounted numbers, you'll know what to do....but, it's going to take an actual visit to the used dealer.

Blackheart is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 AM
lusting over something...
 
james_kraska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 585
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
I would be upfront with my dealer, and let him know what you're considering doing. Get his best price. Then, I'd VISIT the other dealer, and let HIM know what you're considering doing...you can tell him the best price you've been offered on a new one. See if the used dealer drops to below 10K. Once you have both discounted numbers, you'll know what to do....but, it's going to take an actual visit to the used dealer.
+1

I would do the same. You never know what might happen if you're just honest. At the same time, 650 miles is nothing for a bike. They could have flogged it and with that kind of mileage I would not be concerned. This is all assuming the in service date would be the date from which you collect your new purchase. Also, if you're looking for new gear, oftentimes the vendor can't move anymore on the price of the bike but can move on accessories and gear...that might also be of interest to you.

Good luck.. I rode the 1200 for a stint last summer and it's a tremendous bike!!

james_kraska is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 AM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,656
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I would ask both dealers up front what they will give you for the 919, then tell them what you want and start takling price(s) on the VRR(s).

rmb is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Princeps Prior
 
boogunoogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,957
Rep Power: 1
 
talk to them both. make them compete against each other. thats how I got the price of my 919 lowered, and thats how I got a better discount for my girlfriend when she bought her civic

boogunoogun is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Optio
 
jay313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 833
Rep Power: 1
 
919 trade in will figure into the deal, but I doubt it will come up to 2500 difference. That's too much dough to give up just cuz you like your local dealer, in my opinion. They're the same year model, so as soon as you ride that new one off the lot, it will be worth exactly the same as the used one with 650 miles on it. No reason for you to take that hit out of loyalty to your local dealer. He'll understand.

jay313 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 AM
Dead Wrong
 
Effe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Istanbul
Posts: 383
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
25 hundered is good money...

Effe is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 AM
Pilus Posterior
 
AllanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,101
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
919 trade in will figure into the deal, but I doubt it will come up to 2500 difference. That's too much dough to give up just cuz you like your local dealer, in my opinion. They're the same year model, so as soon as you ride that new one off the lot, it will be worth exactly the same as the used one with 650 miles on it. No reason for you to take that hit out of loyalty to your local dealer. He'll understand.
What I was going to say!


650 miles - chances are the owner can't make the payments anymore. If you have ridden one yoou'll know that it has not been thrashed for 650 miles - the bikes are too darn fast for that and he'd have been arrested well before the 650 mark!

Still chat to your local as they may come to the party with close to 2 grands worth of goodies - whats a set of Honda rear panniers worth for that model?

AllanB is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 AM
Cat Herder
 
FlyCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winchestertonfieldville
Posts: 1,788
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I would most definitely tell each dealer your plan and get them to their rock bottom best price. From there, decide what the loyalty is worth to you. $2500 for 650 miles is too much for me to ignore. As stated, that's nothing, not even broken in yet. Good luck, it's a great bike.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
FlyCatcher is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,896
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1nine View Post
My local dealer has a 2010 VFR 1200F (not DCT) listed at 13,500. They're good people and I've spent a lot of money on bikes and gear there over the years.

A small dealer about 100 miles away has a used 2010 VFR 1200F (not DCT) listed at 10,999. The bike has 650 miles on it.

I want to give my local dealer the chance to make the sale. In either case my 919 would be a trade in.

Is it worth trying to see what my local guy can do or should I just drive out of town and get the used one?
You have done deals, so you know the game AND you surely know the price you want in terms of the spread between the buy and trade $.
Assuming you have the kind of relationship that will let it work out, go to your selectee, and basically say - keep me from going to X and I'll sign now, and here's the number I want. My approach is that once I leave a shop re a buying situation, I don't go back and they know I won't be back.

By the way, I view a used non current model year not full featured bike as one that needs a steep discount. 11 K sounds sky high to me.

mcromo44 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome