BrakeAway for 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

BrakeAway for 919

Does anyone know if the BrakeAway cruise control will work for the 919? It is not on thier list of "approved bikes". A call to them did no good. Person I spoke to had never heard of a 919.

I have the BrakeAway from a previous bike. Great product, well made. Would love to use it on my 919.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 08:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I've never heard of them...now I will have to look it up!

Edit: ok, now i've looked. it's just another friction device. yes, it should work fine.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I'll never understand why all these companies call their products Cruise Controls when they can't 'control' the speed. They're throttle locks. My friend bought a similar product and said he liked that he could take his hand off the throttle when he needed to, but for a 'cruise control' it didn't work nearly as good as his car. "The bike speeds up going down hills and slows down going up hills. My speed varied by almost 40 mph... "
I almost fell over laughing.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Yep...they dont do very well controlling speed, but being able to take your right hand off the controls for just a minute is well worth the $20 or so that a decent (and decently priced) throttle lock will cost you.

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Yep...they dont do very well controlling speed, but being able to take your right hand off the controls for just a minute is well worth the $20 or so that a decent (and decently priced) throttle lock will cost you.
I agree! I don't have one, but many times on long rides I wish I could take my hand off the throttle for a few seconds to shake out the stiffness.

post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i have a throttle lock on my bike and its nice... the ammount of throttle the 919 needs to go down the freeway is almost nill and its nice just to lock the throttle so you dont have to constantly grip the throttle... ill lock it but still keep my hand on the throttle and make minor adjustments as needed... but the rest of the time i ever so lightly grip the throttle... just as if it was my left hand... just lightly gripping holding on. its nice for the longer trips.

but yes up and downhill will obviously be effected as more or less throttle is needed... but for less than 20 bucks its well worth it.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 PM
The Cripple

i have a cramp buster that works really well for those trips that are not overnight or longer trips. would love to get a throttle lock for 20 bucks though! where do i get one?

post #8 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
i have a cramp buster that works really well for those trips that are not overnight or longer trips. would love to get a throttle lock for 20 bucks though! where do i get one?
Aerostich.com

I personally recommend the NEP, but the vista cruise gets good reviews, too.

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Discen

To the OP, And I'm not entirely sure about this because I don't know much about that throttle lock, but I don't think it'll work, size wise.

All the honda bikes they are listed are cruisers, cruisers have 1 inch grips and the 919 has 7/8 inch grips does it not?

Maybe someone else can correct me on this?

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #10 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks to all who tried to answer my question. I got the BrakeAway installed last night. Works great. The 919 has 7/8" grips from the factory, but luckily I had aftermarket grips which made the grips 1".

Although not cheap, the BrakeAway is a great device for holding the throttle at a set position while you are riding. Yes, it is not a real cruise control, but it does allow you to take your hand off the throttle for a while. Very nice when you are on a flat highway for a while.

The advantage of the BrakeAway is that it will automatically disengage as soon as you pull the front brake lever. Saves a precious second or two in an emergency situation.

Great device, well made, recommended. A little tricky to install, but if you take your time and think about what the instructions are telling you and look at the device, anyone can do it.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-18-2011, 06:34 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I have a Throttlemeister on my FJR, works great on long trips, but as previously mentioned, only good for flat roads. Definitely a plus to be able to uncramp your hand and shake out the numbness though. I've used the Crampbuster before as well, allows you to straight our your fingers while keeping a constant throttle pressure, can't beat if for a cheapo quick fix.

Glad to hear the review on the BrakeAway, have researched those before and seems like a high quality product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode