Brake pad contact - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Brake pad contact

How brake pads should be contacting rotors? Fg #1 or #2? Is there any difference and reasoning behind it?

Attachment 16191

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
McTavish

I always thought that # 2 is preferred. If # 1 is used as a design goal, tolerances could allow some pad to project pad the edge of the rotor, and over time, an overhand lip would for sure develop, and that could cause some pad hangup re brake release.

post #3 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I always thought that # 2 is preferred. If # 1 is used as a design goal, tolerances could allow some pad to project pad the edge of the rotor, and over time, an overhand lip would for sure develop, and that could cause some pad hangup re brake release.
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I picked up a set of radial Beringer calipers and its pads have a small lip. I will need to reshim caliper bolts a little closer to the wheel center. I just not sure if it's going to be an issue if I push them slightly further than rotors edge. All rotors I've seen have a contact point of the pad very close to its outside edge. How critical is it to be very close? Can it be a little further in?

post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 06:17 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I picked up a set of radial Beringer calipers and its pads have a small lip. I will need to reshim caliper bolts a little closer to the wheel center. I just not sure if it's going to be an issue if I push them slightly further than rotors edge. All rotors I've seen have a contact point of the pad very close to its outside edge. How critical is it to be very close? Can it be a little further in?
Grind off most of the lip.
Get closer to final with a file.
I'd do the last bit with emery on a block, just a few thou, no heavy cut.

You want repeatability re calipers on/on and pads finding the same spot.
The bit of float and bolt/hole clearances gives you that.
I'd be leery of shimming in an effort to go to ragged edge of accuracy.
On going R & R will drive you nuts that way.

Mount up your Beringers and get a feel as to where they are landing on the rotor.I'm guessing that at worst you are chasing 1/16 inch or less.
If you have a bit of overhang, and surely there can't be more than just a wee bit, I'd simply bevel the top edge of the pad and be done with it. Then watch your pad wear rate. Once the bevel is worn to the point that overhang is starting again, give them a bit more bevel. I'll bet the pads are thin enough that an initial bevel is all you'll ever need.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Tesserarius

^^+1 on the bevel idea.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Can it be a little further in?
dirty minds aside,lol
it can be in a little but you not maximizing the brake potential.
ex.(this is a strech) 320mm vs 310mm but you knew that

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode