Blueridge Parkway - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nathanktm

post #1 of 8 Old 07-02-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Blueridge Parkway

We Rode from the top of skyline drive to the bottom of the blue ridge Parkway across 3 days with a friend.

Skyline drive was beautiful, but the 25 dollar fee was painful. Traffic wasn't bad on a Friday morning.

About 5 miles down the blueridge, my friend and I went down a random trail that got really hairy with rock gardens and puddles deeper than my front fender, and he punched a hole in his oil pan on a rock. Dumped all the oil. Had to ride back out to a town to get some Jb weld and a monsoon came in on the way back and flooded the trail and made it extremely hard to ride back to my friend. I thought I was in some kind of movie. We had to camp out overnight to make the repairs. We had hammocks and a tarp.

Next morning the bike was fixed and he hit another rock on the way out and punched another hole in the oil pan. I wanted to kill him. We did the repair again on the side of the road at the entrance to the trail. Hundreds of bikers pulled over at the sight of a motorcycle on its side as we performed repairs, including a biker gang of like 80 dudes with coolers on the backs of their bikes, and they were slamming down beers. They were nice. Managed to get halfway down the blueridge that day.

Day 3 we noticed my rear tire was shot, of which I'll post a pic below. I managed to do the other 250 miles on the blueridge by hanging off the bike around every left turn like a track day to keep the bike as vertical as possible. It got me to Robbinsville where I got a new rear tire from Wheelers. We stayed at simple life campgrounds for the next two days at 18 bucks a night.

Day 4 we rode the skyway in the morning and the tail later in the day. After about 5:30 the tail clears up and everyone is gone. Had the road to ourselves. No cops.

Day 5 we did the 340 mile ride back to my friends house in NC, and day 6 I did the 500 mile ride back to my home in NY. 2000 miles in total.

The blueridge Parkway was amazing. Didn't see a cop the whole trip and traffic on the blueridge isn't too bad if you just go around everyone you come across. We spent maybe 15 minutes sitting behind someone the entire way down and averaged about 55mph mph down the blueridge. Riding in a group of 2 made that easy.

Managed to get home with an empty wallet and 11 dollars in my bank account with the fuel light on.

Overall, great trip. Got some nice pics too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Islandboy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-02-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

https://youtu.be/XJ1ovkd6o6Y

post #3 of 8 Old 07-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Greg

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Wow, sounds like a trip you'll never forget! Says a lot about the 919 and maybe Hondas in general that you're friend's Yamaha's oil pan busted twice on the same road you were on. These things are bulletproof, or at least rock proof. Never thought to keep JP weld handy at all times.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2019, 10:04 PM
919 Rider

I love it.
Especially that pic of the bike sleeping besides the camp fire.

post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2019, 09:10 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
https://youtu.be/XJ1ovkd6o6Y

I gotta hand it to you.
You try stuff!

post #6 of 8 Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Tesserarius

I was down there a few weeks ago. The background in most of those pics look familiar.

I took the 390 Duke on a washed out dirt road once. Once was all it to to convince me that a streetbike in the dirt is no the best fit. If you guys are going to keep doing that sort of riding, I have a perfectly good WR250R that I'd sell.

On more than one occation, I've had a dumbass ask if I took the dirt tires off of my 990 Super Duke.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-03-2019, 01:47 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Overcoming adversity makes you stronger.

Just another "War Story" for your diary.

Carry on!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 8 Old 07-04-2019, 04:04 AM
Tirone

I just returned from a week of riding on and around the Parkway. My son and I usually go there, stay at a cabin in the area, and do daily rides from that point. The Parkway is a beautiful ride and restful ride although it can get frustrating if you end up behind a chain of diesel pusher motor homes piloted by drivers who have no idea what they're doing. We have also found that there are enough side trips on roads off the parkway to keep one satisfied for years of exploring. (VA 40 out of Woolwine for example)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode