Better Audio Recording - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 3 Old 03-25-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Better Audio Recording

I have a stock exhaust debaffled and it's still super quiet. I like quiet because it means less attention but I also can't really hear my bike...And my camera definitely cannot hear my bike.

If you listen to this video, all you can hear is wind noise. -->

So one day I stumble across a guy on youtube named Schaaf and he has amazing audio in his videos. Fortunately his disclosed his secrets and I managed to copy him =) Riding is a completely different experience now. I figured I'd share my results with you guys and how I did it.

Mandatory items:

A motorcycle.
A video recorder.
An audio recorder [H1 Zoom]
Some foam.

Optional items:
Bose QC20 noise cancelling headphones
A dead-cat (Fluffy covering for mic --reduces wind noise)

Basically, I took the H1 Zoom recorder, sandwiched it between some foam with the mics sticking out and put the dead-cat over the end. Then I stuffed it under the seat into the seat cowl.

Then I hit record. After that I start recording with my video camera, honk the horn so I can sync the audio later and that's it! This was the result:

If you don't ever plan on recording video but wished you could listen to this while you ride, I have the solution. I use the Bose QC20 noise cancelling headphones to block out all the wind noise and plug them into the recorder under the seat. I don't need to be recording to be able to hear my bike. What you hear in this video is exactly what I hear when I ride (it actually sounds a little meaner). I can also record while plugged in if I want, which I was during the video. I intend to use this setup at my next track days because 1. it sounds amazing and 2. I can actually hear my bike and it's always nice to know what rpms you're at without having to look at the tach and 3. wind noise is literally deafening and 4. - all together it makes for better videos. I always ride with my qc20's on to block the wind noise(which i learned about from another WT member, shout-out to you!), but now I have the option to hear my bike without the wind noise. It's great and that's why I decided to share my experience. Hopefully this can help someone! If not, maybe they'll at least enjoy listening my bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sounds great. The difference between the two recording is phenomenal.

post #3 of 3 Old 03-27-2017, 02:26 PM
919 Rider

Great audio on the second video. Made me want to go for a ride. What brand windscreen is on your bike?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode