Bafflectomy? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Question Bafflectomy?

So.... After putting about 350 miles on my 9er I absolutely love it... BUT
I can't hear the awesome exhaust note above about 30 mph. I really, really like to hear the engine's music. I can't swing cans until maybe the middle-end of the summer (wife is still a little touchy about the koso set and bars).
Is the bafflectomy worth it? The note that the stock pipes have is nice, but the volume is too quiet. Will I trash the sound? I understand it will be different, but does it sound like crap? Also, would I be better off selling my stock set and just putting that towards aftermarkets?

Any input is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Princeps Prior

I agree with you.(and just put on my first 175 miles) i'm thinking of doing the same thing. the only thing that worries me is that alot of ppl on this forum sell de-baffeled cans. which makes me wonder why don't they like them. So im a bit skeptical

post #3 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
The Cripple

hey ganktor, how about i help you out? i have a set of debaffled stock cans with the heat shield mounts cut off, painted black, and tips added. you can have em for the price if shipping if you're interested. they look like aftermarket and if you dont like em, you can give em to someone else and retain your stockers.

hopefully this is a win/win for you and your wife. i got em to put onto my wrecked 9ner, ended up selling it with the buyer not wanting them. i'll never use em and they're fixing to go into the trash (which is a shame cuz they're cool).

post #4 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
I agree with you.(and just put on my first 175 miles) i'm thinking of doing the same thing. the only thing that worries me is that alot of ppl on this forum sell de-baffeled cans. which makes me wonder why don't they like them. So im a bit skeptical
because many people eventually bite the bullet and move up to aftermarket cans.... nothing sounds better than a set of erion cans, yoshi's, satos, or some 2bros cans....

post #5 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
hey ganktor, how about i help you out? i have a set of debaffled stock cans with the heat shield mounts cut off, painted black, and tips added. you can have em for the price if shipping if you're interested. they look like aftermarket and if you dont like em, you can give em to someone else and retain your stockers.

hopefully this is a win/win for you and your wife. i got em to put onto my wrecked 9ner, ended up selling it with the buyer not wanting them. i'll never use em and they're fixing to go into the trash (which is a shame cuz they're cool).
Sounds awesome! PM in a second.

post #6 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I hope you like a helmet full of resonance. Personally, I found debaffled cans and two brothers cans too noisy. Personally, i'd recommend another brand and spend the money IF you don't want to be too noisy. I left mine stock. In case I want to rob a bank

post #7 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
just send it.

Garage
I agree with the above statements. I bought my bike and loved it. I wanted a louder exhaust but didn't want to spend a large chunk of change on a new exhaust.

I ended up buying a set of debaffled exhausts from someone off this forum and liked them... for a while. I eventually decided that they were just too loud and Lemonhead nailed it: "I hope you like a helmet full of resonance."

With that said, I wouldn't debaffle your stockers. Just get a set taking up space in someones garage here.

I still have mine and I would sell them for $40 shipped to the lower 48 states... and if you live near the TC we can work something out cheaper.

Edit: Sorry Pvster... didn't see that you already made an offer. Maybe someone else trolling this thread will be interested...

[This space for rent]
post #8 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 02:31 PM
The Cripple

no worries craker, he might want yours as the ones i have are modified so they dont look stock.

lemon, personally i found the SS single sided 2bros can to be one of the best sounding single sided cans EVER. gave me that rumble at low idle and sounded nice and mean in the mid. when it hit the highs, started sounding like a lawnmower (as most cans tend to do). the erion cans i have are 2 sided cans, and gives me the best sounding exhaust in the highs, i just love it. has a nice rumble down low as well, but is more quiet than the 2bros. although they have a nice bark if you crack the throttle.

post #9 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Should have some bafflectomied cans coming from Pvster. Thanks a bunch!!

Also, anywhere specific to look for the Erion cans? They sound like the ticket for what I'm looking for eventually.

post #10 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
no worries craker, he might want yours as the ones i have are modified so they dont look stock.

lemon, personally i found the SS single sided 2bros can to be one of the best sounding single sided cans EVER. gave me that rumble at low idle and sounded nice and mean in the mid. when it hit the highs, started sounding like a lawnmower (as most cans tend to do). the erion cans i have are 2 sided cans, and gives me the best sounding exhaust in the highs, i just love it. has a nice rumble down low as well, but is more quiet than the 2bros. although they have a nice bark if you crack the throttle.
I bet it's a bit quieter being a ss low mount, too. I'm gonna go to that this year I think and convert my stockers to aux fuel tanks where they are, or have a pair of mini tanks made to mount there.

post #11 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I bet it's a bit quieter being a ss low mount, too. I'm gonna go to that this year I think and convert my stockers to aux fuel tanks where they are, or have a pair of mini tanks made to mount there.
actually what i had was the SS 2 bros pipe mounted under the tail just like stock, with a matching storage pipe to retain the stock look. was a cool set up.

i dont know where to get the erion pipes, they were on the bike when i bought it from ricko02. havent seen anyone else sporting them either so i'm not sure where to get any info from them.

post #12 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
no max no more

am i the only one who likes to listen to the motor and not the exhaust...plus i wear ear plugs...besides when drinking a coffee at the hangout and the metrics ride by with there pipes..sounding like there doing 100 mph but going 25...just looks funny ...city riding i can feel all the power threw the rpm range with a big smile...just dont like every tom dick and harry looking at the loud funny sounding bike.......ya im old

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #13 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
just send it.

Garage
I eventually went with a single sided Erion exhaust. It's louder than stock but not so loud that I have to wear ear plugs on my 15 minute commute to work. It's also got a nice bark when you crack the throttle.

Just have to get used to not having the stereo exhaust sound.

Here are some photos:
https://www.wristtwisters.com/f2/than...tml#post428587

[This space for rent]
post #14 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Squidword

Garage
Good luck Ganktor. I just replace my de-baffled set with a stock knock off set two weeks ago. Got mine last June from a guy who went Harley. Since that was the crowd he rode with, and they bashed him incesantly about not being able to tell if his bike was running, he ripped them out. I rode all last summer with ear plugs. WAY TO LOUD for my old ears! Also, the exaust stink was horid. It's like night and day! Now I can actually hear other things on the bike. And the exaust stink is about 85% mitigated. Since he never did any other tuning, I doubt I was getting any real HP gain from making it too loud to ride. I'm happy with the stock pipes for now.

post #15 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Imaginifer

Here's a before/after video I made
YouTube - Honda 919 Bafflectomy

post #16 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickonwheels View Post
Here's a before/after video I made
YouTube - Honda 919 Bafflectomy
helpful, thank you!

post #17 of 46 Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Pilus Posterior

Couple options on the baffelectomy too - I'll post what I did later in this thread. IMO a cleaner look and not so loud.

post #18 of 46 Old 04-14-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Pvster sent me out a pair of modded bafflectomized cans yesterday. Great deal cause if I don't like them, back on with the stock set and I'm only out the cost of shipping. FYI, when I do buy a set of aftermarket cans someday, these will be up for grabs again, for free+shipping, just like Pvster did for me.

Thanks again for all the input/help everyone!

post #19 of 46 Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I have run mine without baffles for years. I am talking a full bafflectomy. They are kind of loud but I like it. I repacked the cans last year which made it quieter. I can barely hear them over my MP3 player.

Spoiler:

post #20 of 46 Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't know why exactly but that fly-by was funny!

post #21 of 46 Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

Wife called to ask WTF is with the huge box the got dropped off today. That means my pipes from Pvster are here!! Woohoo! Might have to put them on tonight just for the fun of it. Thanks again to Pvster!

post #22 of 46 Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Couple options on the baffelectomy too - I'll post what I did later in this thread. IMO a cleaner look and not so loud.
Sweet! I'm looking at possibly doing a baffelectomy and would like to know the differences. ....Waiting with baited breath! lol!

post #23 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Tirone

I just debaffled my exhaust and did the flapper mod removal! All I can say is Holy Sheet! I feel like the bike has about 10 more HP to the wheels. I also let two other riders try it right before I did the mods last night and they were shocked!!!!! I bought an extra set of cans in case I didn't like it. However its a keeper super fast and sounds deeper in the tone.

post #24 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

still haven't put the cans on yet... sadly, I have more important things to do. maybe sometime this weekend though.

post #25 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganktor View Post
still haven't put the cans on yet... sadly, I have more important things to do. maybe sometime this weekend though.
Get your friggin priorities straight man! Nothing is more important than bike stuff.

Spoiler:

post #26 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

lol, well, I agree, but the wife doesn't. Since I do actually care what she thinks and like it when things go smoothly, I try to appease her when it's convenient.

post #27 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Cornicen

I did it the easy way - bought Yosh slip ons cuase it is the wifes bike and she told me to.

Kinda cut into my toy money but being a man who loves his wife I let her have her way - once

post #28 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Princeps Prior

I just got partially de baffeled cans, I'm not a huge fan to be honest. there is more exhaust stink. The rumble at idle is nice, but when riding, it's too loud for me. Thats just my opinion

post #29 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM
just ride it...

did it... love it... I've spent hour long rides on it after the cut without issue. There are a couple vids on youtube that really grasp the sound. If someone is looking to give you a set for just the cost of shipping... go for it!

post #30 of 46 Old 04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb919er View Post
did it... love it... I've spent hour long rides on it after the cut without issue. There are a couple vids on youtube that really grasp the sound. If someone is looking to give you a set for just the cost of shipping... go for it!
I agree with you. I have a full bafflectomy on mine and love it. It is about twice as load as the regular job. Just did my friends '04 R1 and he loves it as well. To each is own I guess.

Spoiler:

post #31 of 46 Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

so... I put on the bafflectomied cans that I got from Pvster. BTW, it looks to be a partial. The outer baffle and only one of the inner baffles are cut out. Sounds good though. I will be keeping it till I can afford a set of aftermarket cans. I have a before video and I will be making an after just for anyone who is interested. Will post them here when I'm done.

also, the cans I got had the tabs that mount the heat shields cut off. I spent a little time grinding them smooth and smoothing the area around them. Tomorrow I'm going to get some hi-temp flat black and respray them. One thing I'm not sure of though.

Does anyone know if the whole factory can is stainless, or just the heat shields and tip? I am tempted to clean up the whole pipe if it's stainless.

post #32 of 46 Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

The can is not stainless, only the shields and tip.

post #33 of 46 Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

kinda figured that. Thanks! won't waste my time cleaning the whole pipe then.

post #34 of 46 Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

YouTube - 919 before and after bafflectomy

before and after. I polished the cans that pvster sent me. then shot them with hi temp clear. turned out pretty good. probably could have been a little nicer, but what the hell.. they are temps until i can afford decent pipes anyway.

post #35 of 46 Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Cornicen

doesn't sound that bad at all. Mine came with two brothers single sided can and it sounds amazing, and i got it for "free" so that makes it even better

post #36 of 46 Old 06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
What could happen?!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb919er View Post
If someone is looking to give you a set for just the cost of shipping... go for it!
Sooo does anyone want to be my new best friend??

post #37 of 46 Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

you can have mine sometime this summer...
I normally get some side jobs doing decks and stuff during the summer. I'll be buying aftermarkets in July or August probably. Then you can have mine for shipping if you want. Of course, I do understand if you don't want to wait that long.

post #38 of 46 Old 06-03-2011, 02:14 PM
What could happen?!...

Yah that would be sweet! Patience is a virtue as the good book says
If you could let me know (PM?) when this event shall take place it would be much appreciated!

post #39 of 46 Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM
What could happen?!...

Oh btw how much would shipping run approximately? (If you would know/guesstimate)

post #40 of 46 Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Need money for parts.

I sent pvster $40 when he sent me my current cans. I assume it would be pretty similar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode