Bad End to a Great Season - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Bad End to a Great Season

I must recognize that the minor incident that I'm about to describe is insignificant relative to what has happened to other WT members this year. That said, I'm pretty bummed.

You see, I was prepping my baby for hibernation in the garage and I dropped her.

I was talking to my son while I rolled the bike off of the rear stand. My normal routine is left hand on the grab rail balancing the bike, right hand on the rear stand. Once the stand is out of the way I carefully lean the bike onto the side stand while pulling the bike backwards to ensure the side stand doesn't fold forward. I typically leave the side stand in the down position when the bike is up on the rear stand.

So here I was, going about this simple task, talking to my son and as I started to lean the bike onto the side stand it just kept going, and going, in s-l-o-w motion.

With all my left arms strength I resisted the the falling motion the best I could and I did manage to slow the decent to doom slightly, but not enough. I had the immediate, adrenaline-filled rush of strength and used it to lift my girl back upright as quickly as possible to assess the damage.

Of course, my first check was the infamous dent in the tank from the left control pod impact. My Honda wing decal had a small gouge in it, but there didn't appear to be much of a dent. Then I checked my beautiful Rizoma grips. There was a small scratch on the bar end, otherwise ok. My Chinese, knock-off lever, however, was snapped and lost the last inch. Then I noticed that the engine side case was nicely scratched up.

To my surprise there was no damage to anything on the rear end. I guess nothing made impact. I had thought of my beautiful, shinny Delkevic's having dents and scratches in the second that the bike was on the side.

What a stupid mistake this was. I've heard of others doing that, but I was always so careful in how I put the bike on the stand that I thought it would never happen to me.

So all in all, the damage wasn't too bad. I also had to straighten the shifter that was bent inwards. However, the worst was not yet discovered.

Later, as I was showing my wife the damage I notices a nice dent in the top of the tank!!

All I can think of is that I must have dented it with my leg or hip as I lifted the bike back up in the OMG panic. Stupid!!!

What a crappy way to end such an awesome season. This dent is something that is going to eat at me so bad. Every time I look at the bike I am going to see it. My pristine baby is no longer pristine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

That sucks! Sorry for the bad luck. Time for a tank bag...

post #3 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 02:10 PM
lusting over something...

Quote:

Dude, that totally sucks to hear!

Rickard has/had a magnificent machine that will pull that dent out no problem without any drilling!

It uses hot glue and a bridge. I'm sure we can fix that tank up no problem!

Looks like both of us will be replacing parts over the winter...

post #4 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

What did you break, James? Your season was too shrt to get into any trouble!

post #5 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Damn Michael that does suck, but that dent does look like it may be able to be popped back out. The rest looks very minor and can be touched up/ easily replaced. Don't beat yourself up, shit happens. I know that sick feeling. I dropped my bike in a parking lot one week after driving off the showroom floor.

post #6 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Do you guys think I should just stop off at a local auto-body shop and ask there, or is it something more specialized?

post #7 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
Dude, that totally sucks to hear!

Rickard has/had a magnificent machine that will pull that dent out no problem without any drilling!

It uses hot glue and a bridge. I'm sure we can fix that tank up no problem!

Looks like both of us will be replacing parts over the winter...
That was my first thought. Bet i can pull that dent. Sorry that it happened.

Spoiler:

post #8 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Well Rickard, I will be sending you a message to get another set of tank decals, if your still willing. The left one got gouged nicely by the control pod.

post #9 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Not a problem, anything for a member. Are you going to try to get the dent pulled? You can buy kits to do it with hot glue like described or go to a paintless dent repair place. I bet they use something similar to what I have anyway.

Spoiler:

post #10 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Optio

You must've really been pumped to dent the tank with your knee and not even notice. That was a Gilligan moment for sure. I've avoided the garage/parking lot drop so far. Fingers crossed. It's just a matter of time, though. Happens to us all sooner or later. I'll settle for later.

post #11 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Not a problem, anything for a member. Are you going to try to get the dent pulled? You can buy kits to do it with hot glue like described or go to a paintless dent repair place. I bet they use something similar to what I have anyway.
I haven't really looked into it yet. I was thinking of calling/dropping by an auto body shop. Someone told me that it's better to get it done sooner rather than later. Should I try to take care of it now or is the spring ok?

post #12 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Discen

i have heard of people removing light dents by filling the tank with water, and then freezing it, the expanding water pops the dent.
you must keep a regular eye on it to make sure you dont bulge the tank.
Not sure how feasible it is in reality, but sounds interesting.
Bags not be the guinea pig though

post #13 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
You must've really been pumped to dent the tank with your knee and not even notice. That was a Gilligan moment for sure. I've avoided the garage/parking lot drop so far. Fingers crossed. It's just a matter of time, though. Happens to us all sooner or later. I'll settle for later.
I was really pumped. All I remember is saying, "oh n-o-o-o-o-o" in a completely unmanly and crying like fashion and heaving it up really quickly. I remember that it felt pretty heavy. I'm pretty sure that that I lifted it up MX style (not that I used to crash a lot in MX ): Hand on each grip. So I probably had to brace the bike when half way up against my leg in order to adjust my leverage.

I would lay it back on it's side to analyze what I did to cause the dent, but that ain't going to happen.

post #14 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:45 PM
lusting over something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
What did you break, James? Your season was too shrt to get into any trouble!
In the what did you do for your bike thread, I mentioned that someone backed up into and half-over my motorcycle this Tuesday... Just hasn't been my year!

post #15 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Milites Gregarius

oh man, that sucks. i would be in tears!

I'm back to Ottawa after a 10yr "walkabout" for a week next spring. Is the cabin still open, and are the girls across the bridge still friendly?

post #16 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

I haven't been to The Cabin in years, but yes it's still open. I've been by there a few times and there's still line ups later in the evening, with lot's of pretty young things about.

post #17 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
In the what did you do for your bike thread, I mentioned that someone backed up into and half-over my motorcycle this Tuesday... Just hasn't been my year!

Oh no!!

I missed that post. Sorry to hear.

post #18 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Le So Cal Troll

might look into the heat gun + canned air method to pop that dent out... dunno if it will work on a metal tank like ours but it works well on stuff like plastic bumpers.

post #19 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Well this might make you feel a little better. I did the same thing in my garage but when it went over the bar end went right into the door of my BMW M3 which at the time had no dents. Grrrrrrr!

post #20 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Cornicen

Aargh. Bummer eh?

Had one of these this morning. All I got was a small scratch on the bar end. Not a mark anywhere else on the tank or engine cases. The Givi cage and the plastic nub on the end of the coerce rearset are scratched ...but hey, thats what they're supposed to do.

Damn. Rizoma at that.

post #21 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I feel for you. I've had the same thing happen.
That slow motion moment sucks, you can tell what's going to happen but can't stop it.
Like you I have minor scratches but it still bugs me because even if no one else sees them you know they're there.

post #22 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Batman

try spraying that dent with compressed air container upside down after hitting it with a hair dryer for about 2 minutes...you'd be surprised what it can do by itself especially if so new.

Compressed Air Dent Removal - YouTube

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #23 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ya never had that happen with my street bike... bud did the same with my dirbike a time or two... take it off the stand on the off side, assume kickstand is down go to set it on kick stand... it keeps going... oh shit... ok well let go... and let it drop... tho dirbikes are much less prone to cosmetic damage than street.

I did one time almost drop my 919, was off on a lil dirt road got to the end and was making a 3 point u turn ... after the first back up i started sliping the clutch and stalled it... oops... mid turn with my inner foot way out... too bad i was slipping the clutch with only two fingers and it was falling twords the clutch side.... pretty much crushed my ring and pinky finger between the clutch lever and bar as i was picking it up. haha... fingers hurt a lil afterwards... but bike saved so win haha.

post #24 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I don't think it would matter if you did it now or the spring. If you try it yourself, I got my kit at Canadian Tire. It's just like the Pops-a-dent that was advertised on tv. It was about $20 iirc.

Spoiler:

post #25 of 41 Old 11-19-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Thanks guys. It looks like I have two promising options to try. I will let you all know how it works.

I haven't done a search here yet, but I vaguely recall someone finding a close match for the dark gray of the crankcase side cover. Does anyone know what it was?

post #26 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Some info here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ics-23282.html

Also found a post in another thread, ColorRite "matte axis grey" is said to be a match.

post #27 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 AM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

I feel your pain.(I think we all do) But...I've dropped mine too. Don't beat yourself up you are not alone. I dropped my K 1300 S BMW about 2 weeks after I got it. Went to make a turn in the driveway and hit the steering stop a lot quicker than I thought.Went down soooo SLOOOOOW to the ground. Thought I was gonna puke Chipped a little paint on the left side tupperware.Could hardly see the chips. Drove me CRAZY caus I knew they were there. Couldn't handle it. There was a disturbance in the Force !
$ 600 later...all is well.
1) Our chosen activity involves gravity....and gravity SUCKS sometimes.
2) The first dent / scratch is the most traumatic. &
3) Going down is part of being up....................(get your mind outta the gutter !)

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #28 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Thanks RMB!

post #29 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 05:16 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Welcome.

post #30 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 07:25 AM
McTavish

As infuriating and embarrassing such a drop is, I'd much rather be reading about that than a serious get-off.
My guess is that like others have said, the de-denting will be successful.
By the way, was the snapped lever cast or billet machined ?

post #31 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Former 919er

I don't know the difference, but I believe they are billet machined, like the Brand they are copies of. Would a macro photo allow you to tell?

post #32 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM
McTavish

Quote:
I don't know the difference, but I believe they are billet machined, like the Brand they are copies of. Would a macro photo allow you to tell?
I'd expect that the external view will more easily telling.
If they look machined all over on the outside, then I'd assume it's from billet and the reason it snapped, as compared to bending, then just calls into question the grade (supposed grade ?) of aluminum used.
They could get net shape from a casting, and just do the few critical surfaces, but that should be visually apparent.
As for as a billet part snapping, the concern there is sort of along the lines why Woodcraft rear set brackets often don't break and can be straightened, while Vortex items tend to be "snappers".
If one thing comes out of this, should anyone have a brake lever from the same maker as your now snapped clutch lever, if bent in dump, don't keep it - bin it. And worse would be to try and straighten it, have success in terms of no crack appearing, and having the lever part ways at a most inopportune time.

post #33 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Aside from my recent crash, i also had two occasions this year when my 9er decided to lay diwn and take a nap. The first was at about .5 mph and the front washed out on gravel when i was stopping. The other was when I parked facing downhill in a hurry, trying to gelp Omaha919 with his nusted clutch cable...my bike was (stupidly) in neutral and the bike rolled off the sidestand...folliwed by much gnashing of teeth...

These things happen, so don't beat yourself up about it.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #34 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Thanks for the supportive words everyone. I'm a little more over it now. Like I said, not a serious incident by any means, just a bit of a drag because I am big on having relatively unblemished bikes.

I tried the heating/cooling thing with no success. I did 5-6 heat/freeze cycles, varying technique and it wouldn't pop.

I'm going to go out later and have a look at the dent remover kits that Rickard mentioned.

post #35 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Thanks for the supportive words everyone. I'm a little more over it now. Like I said, not a serious incident by any means, just a bit of a drag because I am big on having relatively unblemished bikes.

I tried the heating/cooling thing with no success. I did 5-6 heat/freeze cycles, varying technique and it wouldn't pop.

I'm going to go out later and have a look at the dent remover kits that Rickard mentioned.
You may have a decent direct line of site access to the inside if the tank is off and the fuel pump assembly is removed.

I had a wee incident this season too, rather embarrassing.
What started the sequence of events off was being at a foot down dead stop and ready to do a red light right.
I'll just leave it at the bike went over on it's right side as I tried to slow it's rate of descent.
All this with our son behind me on his 600.
Extremely minor battle damage to the bike.
I felt like an absolute dork.

post #36 of 41 Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Raddock

Oh man! - sorry to hear about this! I dropped my bike a week ago and to this day my wife is still telling me to get over it... It's that feeling that you have, knowing that your bike is not well. At least you will not have to deal too much with the paint... My Uranium Green however was grinded to the metal on the tank.

Anyway - a good riding season is one where you get out in one piece, so you and I have both had a great one!

Have a good remainder of the year!

Doc Hornet
Certified Streetfighter Enthusiast
2004 Honda Hornet Owner
post #37 of 41 Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

Summer snuck up real fast here this past week. Time to get to work.

I managed to pop out 90% of the tank dent with one of those hot glue dent pullers today. It looks a lot better.

I was lazy and slow in getting a new knock-off lever ordered, but it should be here this week. It's still rideable.

Now, I'm looking for a gently used left side case. If you have one, let me know. I posted in the classified.

post #38 of 41 Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The hot glue puller works better than expected doesn't it? I was shocked to get any results.

Spoiler:

post #39 of 41 Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Former 919er

I couldn't get it to work in the fall. This time I put the bike in the sun. I think the hot tank made the metal more miable or maybe the glue adhered better. I'm glad it worked!

post #40 of 41 Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Ginger-prick

I've not laid one over yet, but I've had three really close calls, and one of them ended up with me pulling a muscle in my groin trying to keep it off the ground.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode