Another dream crushed! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 3 Old 09-13-2007, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Another dream crushed!

As a kid I always thought the Lotus Esprit Turbo was a very cool ride I'd like to own someday. About 20 years ago a good friend calls and says his boss bought one. He said if I brought my old 911 by we could trade for the day. What a bucket of shlt! This car had maybe 10,000 miles on it, everything rattled, parts were already falling off the interior, fit and finish were awful. It was fast, but really felt like a cheesy kit car. 20 years later, the same friend calls and says he wants a Ducati. I find a very low mileage 748 on Craigslist, and we hop in the truck to go see it. It is a very clean bike, all services done on time at the dealer. My buddy buys it on the spot. Now I've always wanted a Ducati, and while I was driving my friends truck I was wishing I could get a ride on it. About halfway back home he pulls over and decides to take the truck and haul a$$ to the DMV to score a tag before the weekend. So I finally get to ride a Duc! I have to say I was way underwhelmed. I don't know if they're designed to work at triple digit speeds, but around town it felt like a dump truck. It burned both my shins through my jeans, it could not possibly be any less comfortable, I would have been in less pain if I walked home on my hands. I'm also pretty sure my humble little Honda would eat it's lunch. I guess some dreams are better left as dreams.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

LOL!!
I had a 748 and can tell you it's absolutely torturous and does nothing well until it's pushed very very hard (on the track), then it's like a switch goes off, the planets align and everything works incredibly well. But for normal riding and even at relaxed track pace it's tough to live with.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I have heard the same from many. A great track day weapon if you ride hard. Anything less than full on, make an appointment to get your fillings replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode