Am I the only one? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Am I the only one?

This seems to happen way to often lately

Have you guys ever had days where you go to do something simple on the bike and you fix/do what you were going to do and something else turns it into a freakin bastard job?

Example tonight, I forgot to put the overflow hose by the radiator filler cap back on the other night when I was installing a part on my VFR. Of course, it's behind the fairing so I was able to remove the top screw and place the the hose back on, but then of course putting the fairing back on the last screw I couldn't get to grab the rubber wellnut (Why the hell does Honda use this garbage, it's on a metal bracket ..weld a nut to the f***ing thing) Come to find out it's just in there spinning and offside so now the bike sits in pieces waiting for some silicone to dry ..hopefully that'll hold it.

Don't get me wrong I love Honda's, they are well built compared to other bikes but on every one there's that one thing that I just don't understand what they where thinking when they built it, I understand the wellnut needs to go in some places cause it's just easier, but when It's attached to a metal bracket and used for a fairing bolt that comes in and out alot..come on don't cheap out on stuff like that.

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Canyon Junkie

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I work as an automotive tech, and we have a saying. "If it's related to you, it's going to go sideways." There is a VERY rare occurence when something goes exactly the way you planned it and it all falls together. Most times, something blows up in the middle or you get in a rush and forget a step, so you take 18 steps apart to fix the one you forgot, or a gasket tears, or the part you thought was good isn't, etc. Perfect example--I was changing rear brake pads on my mom's car--remove wheels, remove calipers, remove pads, lube new pads, ready for reassembly, find the caliper sliders seized in the caliper bracket. No amt of heat, rust penetrant or violence will free it. End result--bum a ride home from a friend (I drove it to the shop) and come back to it on Monday to repl all the parts I had to get from the warehouse that no one on god's green earth had on Saturday. It's just the breaks. Sorry, get used to it! Dave

Are we having fun yet?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

and the really crappy thing is, you know there's that one tech out there that knows just how to do that one irritating thing.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Most of the time, it's my own stupidity that does it.

I don't have a front stand yet and recently wanted to paint my lower triple to match the powdercoated top triple I had just got back.

Hung the front of the bike from a ladder using 4 tie downs, secured the rear on a stand, removed pretty much the whole front of the bike. Headlight, windscreen, wiring, forks, gauges, indicators, bracket that runs in between the two triples, bars and everything that need to be removed from it because it wouldn't fit, mirrors (to keep them from getting scratched) etc. etc.

Some of this was hanging from the leftover strap material as I just let it dangle from the ladder.

Got the triple painted, let it dry overnight and it took several hours to re-assemble everything while cleaning each piece. Got the WHOLE THING put back together.

Got it done and realized I had routed the brake lines on the WRONG side of the forks. Out came the profanities. I tried to just drop the one fork and work the lines in between the top triple and fork, only to realize it was also on the wrong side of that bracket that goes between the two triples. Double profanity.

Had to tear the whole front off again. Took me another 4 hours at least (mostly because the front WAS hanging from a ladder and I was being extra careful to make sure I didn't drop anything or push on the bike too hard).

It sucked, but I bet I never do that again. In retrospect I should have just pulled the lines off the m/c, but as I had just put my F3 wheel on and put my calipers back together AND re-bled the lines, AND I didn't have a Mity Vac or anything AND it took me 3 hours to bleed the lines AND I was out of brake fluid, I just DIDN'T want to do that.

I also now know a MUCH easier way to bleed the lines, this last time took me 20 minutes.

Live and learn.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

What's a fairing?

post #6 of 7 Old 07-15-2011, 05:56 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
What's a fairing?

post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Tirone

lets see a few weeks ago i went to do a float bowl mod on my bike.....so i was like ill check the plugs.....number one was full of oil... grommet was lose thats all, then i broke a plug and boot had to order one, then remembered the fuel lines were old so i changed those, had a fun time getting them unkinked to flow right.....3 weeks later and im rolling again finally

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode