Almost killed by flying tire debris on Highway today. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Sheepdog

Almost killed by flying tire debris on Highway today.

I'm cruising along at about 70 behind a truck pulling a big camping trailer this evening, and the right rear tire comes apart, beating chunks of fiberglass & aluminum off of the side of the trailer and flinging it directly at me and my 919. It seemed like everything was happening in slow motion, and I can remember dodging several large chunks of tire & trailer intentionally as I changed lanes and nailed the throttle, although it could have only been a couple of seconds before I was around him. I didn't get through completely unscathed, though, as I can remember watching one chunk bounce off the fairing and go over my head, followed by a chunk that caught my helmet in the middle of the forehead (snapped my head back pretty good, I'm sure pleased with my fairing and that helmet) I also caught a small piece of tire in the left shin, which I'm pretty sure is going to leave a bruise. No damage to the bike.

So, when I got home, I picked up my 7 yr old son, we both geared up and rode out to bike night at Hooters to celebrate cinco de mayo for "guy's night out" (mom was at church game night.)

Point of the story: It doesn't matter how long you've been riding or how experienced your are, if a chunk of tire hits you in the forehead at 70 mph with no helmet on, it's definitely going to ruin your day, through no fault of your own. I'm sure glad I got to go to Hooters with m'boy.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

my helmet saved my life once, it's the law here in Canada

post #3 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

glad to hear it turned out fairly well, freak stuff like that can take out anyone no matter how much experience they have.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)

post #4 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 07:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Flying debris is a major phobia of mine. I stay the hell away from the big trucks as much as I'm able to to avoid the road gators... I dislike riding behind pickups, especially if they have a load of stuff, I've seen that stuff come flying out all too often. I try to put another car between them & me as often as I can, and just pass em and get em the hell behind me quickly!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #5 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I dislike riding behind pickups, especially if they have a load of stuff, I've seen that stuff come flying out all too often. I try to put another car between them & me as often as I can, and just pass em and get em the hell behind me quickly!
I tried that once, and got pulled over by an unmarked state trooper. I guess that's another way of staying out from behind a pickup.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #6 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Glad it wasn't worse.

I was going around a tractor-trailer one time and he had a blowout on the left rear of his tractor. Happened right as I was beside him. I was well ahead of the debris, but that thing sounded like a cannon had gone off.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 02:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

4 second following time helps, also.

post #8 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

I've seen a tractor trailer tire blow a couple hundred feet ahead of me. Lifted the trailer a couple feet of the ground as I recall.

Every time I see a tire carcass by the road I remind myself to stay back.

post #9 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Tirone

4 sec

many people inc. my wife make fun of me, ie...slow off new green stop, keeping more than 4secs back, trying to stay far away from semis and more.I'm a retired car road racer var.classes from 4 cyl mostly stock to v-8, 500+hp on road courses, also for a couple yrs 1/4 mi.drags.and motocross trials and all variations. None of the skill sets i should have aquired could/would "save me"as much as a few extra feet or seconds at a critical moment!

post #10 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
The Cripple

ah yes.. tractor-trailers... i dont hang out around them. if i'm passing, i stay on the opposite side of the lane i'm in to give me space incase something happens, and i remind my roommate to do that as well. i do the same for any truck pulling a trailer. never know how long that trailer's been sitting there before being pulled on the road again.

i agree completely with shadow with regard to pickups loaded with stuff in the back. crazy how they overload those things and then dont even understand the concept of how to tie things down. example: ran across a lady a few years ago who just happened to have her fridge fall out of the back of the truck at freeway speeds and i managed to miss it (was in a cage with my brother). went back to help her out and there was already a guy there insisting that they could jus put it right back where it was and started arguing with me that it was fine at the back of the bed of the truck. i insisted that it needed to be up at the front against the cab so it could be secured and not be pulled off by wind/drag, etc. lady ended up listening to that guy and all i could do was shrug my shoulders and hope the next person didnt hit that fridge when it fell out again.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

A few years ago a guy on bike up here was following a car that hit a strip of metal laying on the road. It flipped up and speared him through the leg. He managed to pull over but had a few days in the hospital because of it.

I will absolutely never understand people who don't wear gear, whether on the highway or not. Too much crap can hit you at high velocity. Guys who ride without a helmet on, but have one strapped to the seat... well I can't even explain how much contempt I have for them.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #12 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Like racing at Talladega, the safest place is up front.

I fall way back and then pass as soon as possible.

Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #13 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Close call, glad you are ok! Thanks for posting this, a good reminder to stay clear of truck and trailers. Whenever I see those chunkc of rubber by the side of the road I shudder. I wear the Spid back and chest protector when riding. May be usefull for debris like this hitting you in the chest at highway speeds:

Spidi Defender Armor 170-180 - KneeDraggers.com

The arms zip off, its CE approved and not as bulky as some protectors out there.

post #14 of 16 Old 05-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Imaginifer

Reminds me of the time I had to dodge a 5 foot tall planter that caught the wind and launched out the back of a truch. Thankfully, I was in my car and could swerve around the thing as it exploded on the asphalt.

post #15 of 16 Old 05-07-2010, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Sheepdog

Yeah, I'm a big believer in staying as far away from traffic as possible. I've always taken advantage of the motorcycles ability to accelerate and to get away from traffic as quickly as possible (within the law, of course ) This time, though, I had just entered the highway from an on ramp, and was accelerating to pass the camper rig when the tire exploded. The road ahead was clear of traffic for 1/2 mile. Timing is everything!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #16 of 16 Old 05-07-2010, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T81 View Post
my helmet saved my life once, it's the law here in Canada
I am a big time proponent for wearing helments, but I don't like helmet laws. These type of laws prevent natural selection and cause the gene pool to become polluted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode