Alinosa made me do it! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Alinosa made me do it!

I went to his office this morning to pick up a diode so I can fire both bulbs in the 599 bucket, and to show off the Mivv exhausts to him. I planned on taking a pair of side-streets to hit the access road of the highway, but he pointed me straight ahead to the access road and proceeded to tell me about how easy it is to wheelie there. Typically when I hop on the throttle hard, I'm leaned forward and the back tires breaks traction. Not this time! At probably 3k in 1st gear, the front end came up! It was a nice smooth-yet totally unexpected- transition and I didn't realise it happened until I sat the front end down. I had the intention of leaving a small streak on the road, instead I left a big one in my pants! Just thought I'd share, I'm pretty sure he got a good kick out of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Okay, I'm in. Who is Alinosa?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

A wristtwisters member!

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills

post #4 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

He is a member here, ride on 07 9er. I was both his co-worker and his boss at one point. Unfortunately since his wife popped out their baby boy, he doesn't get to ride much and surfs the forums very infrequently. As a matter of fact, he doesn't even know he's getting a pair of Hornet patches and I'm confident he won't until I drop them off at his house!

post #5 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Le So Cal Troll

u had never done a wheelie on your 919 before?!?!??!!?!?!??!?!?!

I pull many every time im out on mine... the 15t front helps in that department.

post #6 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Wish I could wheelie!

post #7 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

never tried to wheelie either, speeding tickets are enough, I don't need a stunting ticket...

post #8 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Optio

I'm running a 17t front and 44t rear, and I've only gotten the front end up one time under hard acceleration. Drag racing my wife's turbo Mini to show her what a wimp it is. Came an inch or two off the ground in first and again in second. I'm not interested in pulling 12 o'clock stunts down city streets, but I would like to know how to yank it a couple feet off the ground when the mood hits. Maybe I need to hire a kid with a plastic mohawk on his helmet to show me what to do?

post #9 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Le So Cal Troll

.... not even a lil back road wheelie fun???? hell even the 16t was easy as pie to pick the front up.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
I'm running a 17t front and 44t rear, and I've only gotten the front end up one time under hard acceleration. Drag racing my wife's turbo Mini to show her what a wimp it is. Came an inch or two off the ground in first and again in second. I'm not interested in pulling 12 o'clock stunts down city streets, but I would like to know how to yank it a couple feet off the ground when the mood hits. Maybe I need to hire a kid with a plastic mohawk on his helmet to show me what to do?
Put a 15t front on and you can do it no problem.

Spoiler:

post #11 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
-

Quote:
but I would like to know how to yank it a couple feet off the ground when the mood hits. Maybe I need to hire a kid with a plastic mohawk on his helmet to show me what to do?
Stock gearing on a my 2003, no mohawk though. Not a problem at all to just power it right up there in 1st gear. If you need to build confidence when learning, just cover your rear brake. Remember not to hit it too hard or you'll crush your boys on the tank. The engine has a lot of braking on its own in 1st.

There's a nice industrial road on the way home from work. I'll turn down there, snap it up and float it until I'm about to hit the redline.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM
The Cripple

any official write up on how to do a wheelie on a 919? never done a wheelie myself and i'm scared in the sense of wrecking the bike... but would like to give it a try after a good write up.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
any official write up on how to do a wheelie on a 919? never done a wheelie myself and i'm scared in the sense of wrecking the bike... but would like to give it a try after a good write up.
ever ridden dirtbikes? I guess my 10 yrs prior to gettin my 919 of dirbiking makes wheeling the 919 as simple as pie.

Just start small n work your way up... u can pop the clutch a lil or get to about 4-6k rpms in 1st let off then get on the throttle.

Im really surprised some that ride the 919 have never wheelied... its like a wheelie machine even in stock form!

post #14 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 06:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Please don't consider this "offical". I'm not a stunter, I learned how to wheelie on my own and I find it fun. This is what I've sorted out for myself from reading/watching other stuff online. There's only two ways I know to get the front up:

1.) Power it up.
2.) Clutch it up.

Powering it up is just a that: Powering it up... You apply enough throttle to lift the front wheel off the ground as you accelerate forward. More throttle, more higher the front wheel. The 919 has enough power to do this easy. I'm sure you could loop it if you tried.

Clutching is a [tiny] bit more complicated... But you can snap the bike up quicker/easier. You accelerate, slip the clutch while applying throttle and release the clutch in one motion. This can allow you to lift the front at higher speeds. This makes it easy to wheelie in 2nd.

There's some super-long write ups out there already. I'd recommend a google and youtube search. This write up was pretty good for me learning to clutch it up: http://www.physics.isu.edu/~hackmart/wheelie.htm

post #15 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Optio

Never ridden dirt bikes or I'm sure I'd have more confidence (balls?) with this thing. I've tried to power up in 1st, running up to 4-5k rpm, back off a bit and then slam it. I take off like a bat out of hell, but no air time. Can't afford to wreck it, so I've always been a bit cautious about clutching it up. Horror stories about looping it and so forth. Guess I just need some parking lot time to figure it out.

post #16 of 18 Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Never ridden dirt bikes or I'm sure I'd have more confidence (balls?) with this thing. I've tried to power up in 1st, running up to 4-5k rpm, back off a bit and then slam it. I take off like a bat out of hell, but no air time. Can't afford to wreck it, so I've always been a bit cautious about clutching it up. Horror stories about looping it and so forth. Guess I just need some parking lot time to figure it out.
ya riding dirbikes its like second nature to wheelie as its constantly used.... as far as looping it you would have to be pretty dumb and rev it the full on drop the clutch.... if i want to pull a slow wheelie its just a lil smooth pop down around 2k rpms.

And power wheelies, if your not full on leaning forward are pretty easy but you gotta be a lil higher in the rpms. IMO id learn to do a slow wheelie by usin the clutch a little before id move onto faster power wheelies.... with the stock 16t 1st gets you to like 55mph.

post #17 of 18 Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Run it up to 6K, chop the throttle long enough for the front end to settle, slam it open. If it doesn't come up do it a again with a little weight shift to the rear and a small tug on the bars. Cover the rear brake so you can set it down if you think you're too high, which you won't be. If you're not used to wheelies the front wheel a foot off the ground will feel like a moonshot.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 18 Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
u had never done a wheelie on your 919 before?!?!??!!?!?!??!?!?!

I pull many every time im out on mine... the 15t front helps in that department.
I think you misread what I said...I have done them before, only once intentionally (still scared the chit out of myself)

I changed mine to 17t front sprocket, so it's a little more difficult for me, but not impossible. I'd much rather wheelie my over-priced $500 50cc piece of crap pocket bike. Less momentum if I fall over, and at $500, it's almost disposable! Of course, I also work on the piece of aluminum scrap shit more frequently than I ride it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode