Advice on moving bike purchased from a private seller - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Advice on moving bike purchased from a private seller

I'm going with a friend who's looking to purchase a 2007 SV650 from a private seller. My friend is taking the MSF in a few weeks and can't ride yet. I might ride it back if he makes the purchase, but I'm concerned since the original owner will likely take the plates back there's also insurance to worry about.

When I purchased bikes in the past, either the dealership gave me a temporary plate or the original owner rode the bike to my place and I provided the ride back home.

What are other options besides having the owner ride it over, renting a pickup, or calling up motorcycle towing? Any recommendations appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Immune

Why don't you just get it insured, slap your bike plate on it, and ride it home? It's unlikely you'll have any trouble unless you drive like an idiot... You probably know this, but do NOT ride without insurance - in addition to the obvious reasons, it's a one year license suspension if you get caught in NJ (that state sucks in so many ways)

post #3 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Le So Cal Troll

this is what a truck is for.

post #4 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Sixty-9er

Get insurance and carry the title with you. It's dated and signed the same day. I don't see a problem.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #5 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I'm not sure there is any really good answer to this one. I used to take the plate off my other vehicle, ride/drive it home, and call the Insurance Co. on Monday. There are so many ways you can get hosed today especially with revenue enhancement in today's economy: Unregistered, uninsured, fictitious plates, failure to produce documents, uttering false documents, etc.

As long as it is currently insured and registered, I would ask the seller to ride it to my home and give him/her a lift back. I would complete the sale only after safe delivery.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #6 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher4444 View Post
Get insurance and carry the title with you. It's dated and signed the same day. I don't see a problem.
No plate or temporary tag visible will get you pulled over here in the Garden State for sure. I not confident that you can get motorcycle insurance in New Jersey without a motorcycle endorsement on your DL.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #7 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Don't ride someone else's motorcycle with no plates or insurance. You would be opening yourself up to all kinds of liability unless your insurance will cover you riding someone else's bike.

Call your local courthouse, or the one local to where the bike is, and ask them. I would imagine they deal with this question all the time.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #8 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Thanks for the replies. The main issue is that I'm not the one buying it and the one who is can't ride yet. I'm def not putting the bike under my insurance and I'm not riding it if it's only going to lead to legal complications. The bike is being purchased in NY so I think it must have at least temporary plates to ride.

We're going to take a look at the bike and take it back this weekend if it checks out. I doubt he'll be able to get insurance in time so it looks like renting a pickup / ramp and buying tie downs will be the best option on short notice.

post #9 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Thanks for the replies. The main issue is that I'm not the one buying it and the one who is can't ride yet. I'm def not putting the bike under my insurance and I'm not riding it if it's only going to lead to legal complications. The bike is being purchased in NY so I think it must have at least temporary plates to ride.

We're going to take a look at the bike and take it back this weekend if it checks out. I doubt he'll be able to get insurance in time so it looks like renting a pickup / ramp and buying tie downs will be the best option on short notice.
RENT A TRUCK OR TRAILOR! its as simple as that and alleviates all needfor extended insurance or swapping plates!

post #10 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

OMG, just slap your plates on the bike and ride it home already... No need to make this more complicated than it needs to be. Nothing will happen, you won't get pulled over, and at the end of the day your buddy will be grateful. Just did this 2 wks ago for a guy in the same situation...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #11 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

I don't know how strict other states are bur I wouldn't ride it in NJ without valid docs

post #12 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'd just ride it and not worry about any of it, but that is me.

I'd have the owner follow me, simple as that.

Hopefully he keeps up......

post #13 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Risk vs. reward. Why risk something for someone else? If YOU wanted to get it home, and YOU were buying the bike, and YOUR insurance would cover you doing so, then the most risk you have is a ticket for no plates.

In this case, if something does go wrong and you're not insured, you have all the risk on you personally. Riding a new to you bike, for someone else, at your risk. 99% chance it would all go well. I won't gamble 100% of my assets on a 1% risk of getting someones bike home.

Not worth it IMO.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Risk vs. reward. Why risk something for someone else? If YOU wanted to get it home, and YOU were buying the bike, and YOUR insurance would cover you doing so, then the most risk you have is a ticket for no plates.

In this case, if something does go wrong and you're not insured, you have all the risk on you personally. Riding a new to you bike, for someone else, at your risk. 99% chance it would all go well. I won't gamble 100% of my assets on a 1% risk of getting someones bike home.

Not worth it IMO.
And that's how 75%er's think.

That is your opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd already be home while you were debating the pro's and con's......

post #15 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm actually with UJM for once. Slap your own plate on the bought bike, carry the paperwork for your own bike and the reciept for the new one and it should be fine.

Spoiler:

post #16 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Immune

Quote:
I guess I'm confused. If you knew he couldn't get insurance ahead of time, and you're not willing to ride it with a less than legal plate, then what was it that you were hoping someone might suggest that you didn't think of?

post #17 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJM View Post
And that's how 75%er's think.

That is your opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd already be home while you were debating the pro's and con's......

Maybe. Or you could be the idiot who hit my kid with no insurance and I'd own everything you had and will ever make in your lifetime.

Russian roulette is fun until you lose.

My opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I will take 75% right over 25% wrong though. You're right.

post #18 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Interesting Fact:

Most states allow for a newly purchased (privately purchased) vehicle from out-of-state to be driven back to the new owners home with no plate or temp tag...Reason being, the DMV can't issue a temp tag or plate until they have the signed title in front of them. It's very possible that riding without a plate will get you noticed by the cops, but you will be legal as long as you have insurance on the vehicle...which you won't be running a tag from another vehicle on it. get pulled over with a false plate and the bike could be impounded, etc. and you'll get ticketed too.

When I bought my 59 chevy truck in Omaha NE. last summer I did exactly this, and drove back to Denver CO with full insurance & no plate whatsoever.

Talk to your ins. company and see if they will cover the bike for the one trip from wherever it is now, back to where it needs to be.... and Good luck!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #19 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Maybe. Or you could be the idiot who hit my kid with no insurance and I'd own everything you had and will ever make in your lifetime.

Russian roulette is fun until you lose.

My opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I will take 75% right over 25% wrong though. You're right.
My stepfather was hit by a kid without insurance about 10 years ago. He wasn't hurt, but he also didn't have uninsured motorists insurance and had to pay out of pocket about 10k to repair his truck. He got a settlement against the kid, but the kid didn't have any money. Well, the kid is now looking to "re-settle", given he can't buy a house when he has this settlement against him. The world is a funny place.

By the way, rent a trailer for $20-40 dollars for the day and have it done safely.

post #20 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I think Shadow is correct on this one.

I have sold a few motorcycles and cars and each time I removed my plates, so they rode away with no plates/temporaries whatsoever. One guy was actually a sheriff and he wasn't worried. I have also purchased motorcycles from private sellers and rode home, didn't have any issues.

To be safe look up your specific states laws regarding buying a vehicle from a private party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Interesting Fact:

Most states allow for a newly purchased (privately purchased) vehicle from out-of-state to be driven back to the new owners home with no plate or temp tag...Reason being, the DMV can't issue a temp tag or plate until they have the signed title in front of them. It's very possible that riding without a plate will get you noticed by the cops, but you will be legal as long as you have insurance on the vehicle...which you won't be running a tag from another vehicle on it. get pulled over with a false plate and the bike could be impounded, etc. and you'll get ticketed too.

When I bought my 59 chevy truck in Omaha NE. last summer I did exactly this, and drove back to Denver CO with full insurance & no plate whatsoever.

Talk to your ins. company and see if they will cover the bike for the one trip from wherever it is now, back to where it needs to be.... and Good luck!

post #21 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Interesting Fact:

That's why I said check with the locals in my first post. Most states will allow that. The one issue could be the new owner doesn't even have a license or permit. The OP said he can't ride yet. That may make the whole situation real difficult. May not be able to get a plate with no permit or license, may not be able to get insurance for the same reason, and even if he did get insurance it may not cover someone else riding the bike.

post #22 of 38 Old 04-10-2010, 04:43 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

motobureaucrats

blah!

post #23 of 38 Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
My stepfather was hit by a kid without insurance about 10 years ago. He wasn't hurt, but he also didn't have uninsured motorists insurance and had to pay out of pocket about 10k to repair his truck. He got a settlement against the kid, but the kid didn't have any money. Well, the kid is now looking to "re-settle", given he can't buy a house when he has this settlement against him. The world is a funny place.

By the way, rent a trailer for $20-40 dollars for the day and have it done safely.
My sister was nearly killed by a punk in pickup truck. He blasted through a stop sign with two other people in the truck, that was not his, and broadsided the car my sister was in.

They (her husband, his parents) were traveling down the highway at 70+MPH and she was ejected out the back window.

When I made it to the hospital, they did not know if she would make it or not.

Her face had been ripped half off, and her whole entire body was bruised. Major cuts and abrasions everywhere, it was beyond written description.

At the accident scene, I saw with my own eyes the spray painted outline of where her body was, the blood, that put a lump in my throut. I tried to reconstruct what happened, for no phucking reason.

The jerk driving the truck, not his truck as mentioned, walked away, along with his friends.

They were uninsured, as was the owner of the truck, nice, eh?

My sister suffered some brain damage on top of the physical damage, and the icing on the cake, her husband left her as he did not want to deal with what the cards now dealt him.

You know what, she lived, and she rides - we found a nice VStar 1100 for her last year.

I hid her face for reasons other than the scars, her decision, she looks great IMHO

Life deals us some raw deals on occasion that are totally out of our control. Many times we have to make the best of a bad situation, that only gets worse.

I have a very low tolerance for idiots, at least what I consider to be idiots, maybe a few of you understand more so now that you did in the past, maybe some of you do not care, whatever -

Bottom line, we have control over less than many of us realize.

You ride your ride, I'll ride mine.

post #24 of 38 Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Glad your sister is doing better now. That had to be an ordeal.

Does she work at Jack in the Box by any chance?

post #25 of 38 Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Glad your sister is doing better now. That had to be an ordeal.

Does she work at Jack in the Box by any chance?

post #26 of 38 Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Wow her plastic surgeon sucks! Glad she is still able to ride!

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #27 of 38 Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

for the record... whoever said you CAN purchase a bike and as long as you have insurance you can ride it home ... you are CORRECT and at the same time RESOUNDINGLY wrong.... it depends on your state....

here in florida... you do not need insurance on a motorcycle.... *(if you have no helmet on you have to have health insurance and $25000 worth of personal injury ins.).. you can ride it home with no license plate as long as you have a bill of sale or a signed title..... BUT if you have no motorcycle endorsement you are going to jail and the bike is being impounded.....

every state is different... louisiana you MUST have ins.. but can get away with the license and the plate with a fresh bill of sale....

like i said every state is different...

UHAUL rents their motorcycle trailer for 14.95$ a day.... thats right 14.95 a day.... i know cause i have rented one twice in the last 3 weeks bringing my harley back and forth to the frame shop.......

so how bout not doing something risky/stupid and just rent the trailer and drag the bike home that way ... hell of a lot cheaper than bail and impound fees or heaven forbid paying someone 50% of your income for the rest of your/their lives.....

75% smart beats the hell outta 25% stupid...

post #28 of 38 Old 04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
for the record... whoever said you CAN purchase a bike and as long as you have insurance you can ride it home ... you are CORRECT and at the same time RESOUNDINGLY wrong.... it depends on your state....

here in florida... you do not need insurance on a motorcycle.... *(if you have no helmet on you have to have health insurance and $25000 worth of personal injury ins.).. you can ride it home with no license plate as long as you have a bill of sale or a signed title..... BUT if you have no motorcycle endorsement you are going to jail and the bike is being impounded.....

every state is different... louisiana you MUST have ins.. but can get away with the license and the plate with a fresh bill of sale....

like i said every state is different...

UHAUL rents their motorcycle trailer for 14.95$ a day.... thats right 14.95 a day.... i know cause i have rented one twice in the last 3 weeks bringing my harley back and forth to the frame shop.......

so how bout not doing something risky/stupid and just rent the trailer and drag the bike home that way ... hell of a lot cheaper than bail and impound fees or heaven forbid paying someone 50% of your income for the rest of your/their lives.....

75% smart beats the hell outta 25% stupid...
zactly... you simply can not beat 15 bucks to alleviate all probs or worries.

post #29 of 38 Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here in Missouri, we had the motorcycle moved without any drama before 75% of the others could even make half a decision......

post #30 of 38 Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Here in Missouri, we had the motorcycle moved without any drama before 75% of the others could even make half a decision......
la ti fucking da....................

you suggest that a member and a new rider does something illegal????

at the very least he could have gotten a hefty ticket....

at the worst he hurt/killed himself or others with no insurance to pay for it....

nice advice!!

post #31 of 38 Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Sike

I'm just a little curious...

100% Club Founder
post #32 of 38 Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacojerte View Post
la ti fucking da....................

you suggest that a member and a new rider does something illegal????

at the very least he could have gotten a hefty ticket....

at the worst he hurt/killed himself or others with no insurance to pay for it....

nice advice!!
Pacojerke, I'm sure you never ever speed or do anything outside the law, ever.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, pretty pathetic on your part.

Par for the course.......

and I never did you or your kind to understand my reply on what he could do.

I always expect you to twist it to meet your agenda, totally predictable.

Oh, here is my suggestion for you to enjoy again:

Quote:
UJM

I'd just ride it and not worry about any of it, but that is me.

I'd have the owner follow me, simple as that.

Hopefully he keeps up......
Pretty simple, skilled rider rides it home, owner follows, done deal.

I'm beginning to think the risk of riding is too much for some of you!

The question is, how long until you or one of your sheep have this thread locked?

post #33 of 38 Old 04-12-2010, 04:58 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Pacojerte, I'm sure you never ever speed or do anything outside the law, ever.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, pretty pathetic on your part.

first off do not twist my name again......

second i speed all the time but i don't suggest that new INEXPERIENCED riders do the things that i do......

i merely said in my first post that UHAUL charges 14.95 a day for a motorcycle trailer.....

YOU keep pounding the drum for them just to ride it anyway which is not safe or smart....

after he gets a license insurance and tag on the bike he can do as he pleases but if you read the VERY FIRST post he asked for advice on HOW TO GET THE BIKE HOME WITH NO TROUBLE..... PUTTING IT ON A TRAILER IS THAT METHOD.....

Quote:
I'm going with a friend who's looking to purchase a 2007 SV650 from a private seller. My friend is taking the MSF in a few weeks and can't ride yet. I might ride it back if he makes the purchase, but I'm concerned since the original owner will likely take the plates back there's also insurance to worry about.

When I purchased bikes in the past, either the dealership gave me a temporary plate or the original owner rode the bike to my place and I provided the ride back home.

What are other options besides having the owner ride it over, renting a pickup, or calling up motorcycle towing? Any recommendations appreciated.

the ONLY other way to get it home with no trouble is to put tags on it...but insurance and get a LICENSED rider to bring is.........

and you shouldnt call people sheep.... some of the "sheep" you keep poking in the eye might ban you AGAIN and you have to go to the trouble of sneaking back in and whining and all the other stuff you did LAST time you were banned.....

so just think about the advice you give new members and riders.... cause if the unlicensed rider with no insurance and tag killed himself on the way home i am fairly sure you would feel like shit if you found out about it...

but then again maybe not...

post #34 of 38 Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Insure the bike.
Ask PO if you can mail his plate back to him.
Ride away.

post #35 of 38 Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Insure the bike.
Ask PO if you can mail his plate back to him.
Ride away.
also a good idea..

post #36 of 38 Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I'm just a little curious...
Not curious anymore..........

100% Club Founder
post #37 of 38 Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Find out the laws in your state and go from there. If in doubt at all, rent a trailer.

Spoiler:

post #38 of 38 Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

This thread is now closed.

And a public warning to both UJM and Pacojerte: The mods are sick of your childish behavior, reported posts, and insults. If this happens again, we will show the offending party the door.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode