Acetone in the gas...good or bad - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Acetone in the gas...good or bad

I just looked up fuel saving additives on google and came across An article about adding acetone to your gas just wondered if anyone has tryed this and what did you think. I know there are some gas additives on the market that use acetone as one of the ingredience but not pure acetone........ does anyone have any thoughts on puting it in the gas tank ???

Go HARD or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

A link here about it
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

Go HARD or go home
post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Tirone

Why mess with this stuff? Considering the slight but certain deterioration to some fuel system components vs the debatable small benefits it may provide, I won't use it in my vehicles. Acetone is a potent solvent and will soften/dull any painted surface. Plus it ain't cheap. It is very volatile and will slightly raise the vapor pressure of the fuel it's mixed with, not what you want with any evaporative emissions system in hot weather.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 AM
yzarc mi os

It can be used as a substitute for Nitromethane. It's not 1:1 through 1:1.2. We have used it to make RCcar fuel in the past and to make race fuel for the quads. I wouldn't see it hurting the car with a quart mixed in with a full tank but the cost of it would far off set any gained anything. It is cheaper than nitro fuel by a long shot though.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearwheel View Post
I just looked up fuel saving additives on google and came across An article about adding acetone to your gas just wondered if anyone has tryed this and what did you think. I know there are some gas additives on the market that use acetone as one of the ingredience but not pure acetone........ does anyone have any thoughts on puting it in the gas tank ???
Don't !
Why mess with acetone in a street bike ?
I'd be very concerned about any o rings or elastomer materials in the fuel system.
Street fuels for street bikes, and acetone is not in that category.
I also looked at the link you provided, and found comments from a Honda car owner who used it and had injector and fuel pump failureS that were attributed to his use of acetone in his gasoline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode