A terrible start to my vacation... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
WoW

A terrible start to my vacation...

So, my uncle comes down to NC/TN every year to ride the gap. This year he invited myself and my father. Unfortunately my father was unable to come due to work issues. So I invited my best friend (who you may remember just bought a brand new S2R1000 Monster).

He wasn't sure if he could come because he just took another vacation earlier in the summer. So his work said he could take the week off but it would be without pay. So he brought his bike to the dealership to get it ready for the trip. They told him he had a leaky header, and he needed a new rear tire, and some other miant. work. So he dropped just about $340 to get the bike ready to go.

Our weekend got off to a slow start, and we ended up staying at a Red Roof in Saturday night in PA (we left from MA)

We got on the road early, and started to make our way to NC where we are staying. This is where the trip took a turn for the worst.

Some where in VA (about 1.5 hours from our final destination) I felt a slight surge in the truck (we were towing a goldwing, my triple, and the Duc on a trailer) and I look back to see something missing...THE DUCATI.

A tie down was rubbing on the edge of the trailer and it snapped, sending his 2 month old Duc flying off the trailer and out onto the highway at about 60 mph. The bike is totateld. The frame is scratched, the exhaust is scratched and dented, the handle bars are bent, the forks are twisted, mirrors are gone, levers are gone, shifter is gone, tail light is gone, clutch cover is scratched. The bike is mangled. Now we're sitting at our Condo in NC, trying to get the insurance company's ass in gear to get this resolved and get thi spoor kid a new bike so we can actually ride this week.

Anyway I'll post up pics of the damage (and the trip) when I get home, I have no way to get my digital pics onto my lap top.

If anyone has any ideas, or whatever feel free to leave comments here, I'll be checking the web every once in a while.

Find me on all over the web:

www.vwvortex.com- spoolin215
www.honda-tech.com- germanhondaslayer
www.bodybuilding.com- forcefedfreak
www.triumphrat.net- forcefedfreak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

What a bummer! Very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope everything turns for the best.

post #3 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

that blows! Glad it didn't take anyone else out on the highway! If i'm in charlotte NC if you need anything from this direction let me know!!

Oh and look up renting a KLR and riding out there I think there is someone out at the gap that does that. I know KLR isn't a duc but it beats not riding!!

OH yeah good luck with the insurance!!

post #4 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

post #5 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry to hear about all that calamity. MAN! That truly sucks bad. Who is the insurance company?

post #6 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Damn, that sucks hard. I hope he had good coverage.

post #7 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oh crap, that sucks. Sorry to hear this. Having just gone through this, doubt the insurance company will get it done within a week.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #8 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yeah from past experience it takes weeks to get the insurance company to pay up. Sorry to hear it sucks when stuff like this happens.

post #9 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 AM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

That is awful. I'm just glad no one got hit by the bike.
post #10 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Man, that's a horrible way to lose a bike. Stay on top of the Ins. company.

post #11 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
WoW

Thanks for the kind words guys. FYI he has "Allstate" insurance. He was looking into buying one of those new Kawi Z1000 when buying the Duc. We just got off the phone with the insurance company and they want us to take it to a Duc dealer to have them asses the damage. My thought is if they total the bike, then we'll go to a kawi dealer and have him finance one of those, and then when he gets the check from the insurance company, he can take the money to pay off the new loan (he paid cash for the Duc so he doesn't owe on that.)

We found a local place that rents bikes, but all they have his cruisers, and they aren't even open today... So we'll see what happens.

My buddy talked to his insurance agent and he said that he wasn't sure if allstate was going to call it a collision, or cover it under comprehensive (due to the nature of the incident) we're hoping for comprehensive because he has a cheaper deductable.

post #12 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

What a nightmare. Sure hope it works out.

I always take time for the bike's owner to validate strap placement. If ever in doubt on being secure, double up the straps, much cheaper than a new bike and higher insurance premiums.

post #13 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream247919 View Post
What a nightmare. Sure hope it works out.

I always take time for the bike's owner to validate strap placement. If ever in doubt on being secure, double up the straps, much cheaper than a new bike and higher insurance premiums.
Yeah, the bikes had been strapped in and good to go the entire trip, until just a few hours from our destination. About an hour earlier we had stopped for gas, and my uncle had checked the straps, but some how missed the fraying on the tie-downs where they touched the trailer (in the front, and low on the tie-down)

After we stopped and inspected my bike, we found that we were only a few minutes from losing my trumpet as well...

post #14 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

OUCH..... sure hope he strapped it in himself... I'd feel a little squeemish if I did it and that happened!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #15 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedfreak View Post
Yeah, the bikes had been strapped in and good to go the entire trip, until just a few hours from our destination. About an hour earlier we had stopped for gas, and my uncle had checked the straps, but some how missed the fraying on the tie-downs where they touched the trailer.
Then the Man's rule is your uncle should buy him a new bike and not file a stupid claim.

post #16 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 

Thats screwed... I'm really sorry for him.
Thats good testimonial for me. People laugh when I use 8 tie downs to secure my dirt bike.

post #17 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Okay, I'm going to come across a huge prick for saying the following. It's great that you have insurance, but one of you f'd up big time! Why should insurance pay for it? I can understand if it got stolen, or you were hit by a car, or if you truly dumped it do to sand or oil on the road (blue pixy dust does not count). This goes back to my beef with accountability.

Sorry, it's out of my system now. I hope it all goes well and you have a great time.

post #18 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Well, if there is ever a silver lining in a dark cloud, you may have a few. Firstly, Allstate is a reputable company, just be careful as they try to to cheap when paying claims - even to their own insured. Be sure to ask them what his policy's limit of liability is.

Second - it was a brand new Ducati. They do not depreciate as bad as other bikes. With that much damage and frame damage, the bike is totalled. Any reputable Ducati dealer will NOT touch a damage frame bike or fix it, they will total it.

Talk to Allstate / their Claims adjuster, this should be under Comprehensive, no other vehicle was involved in this incident.

post #19 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

Hey, I'm a huge fan of personal responsibility...but accidents happen. Forgetting to check a tie-down is no different than zoning out and hitting a patch of sand, or target fixating on a rock... not the smartest things in the world, but still and accident and that's why you have insurance.
Foget and leave a space heater on in your house and it burns down.... most of us are going to expect insurance to pay for it, even though it was a stupid mistake.
I alway make sure when I transport someone elses bike that it is secured by them, to their satisfaction....so if it falls out... it's on them.

I'd rather see a 100 people get paid for bikes that fall out of traliers than 1 person get paid for crashing while stunting.
JohnnyB

post #20 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Quote:
Then the Man's rule is your uncle should buy him a new bike and not file a stupid claim.
every guy should check his own bike.
I quit using those cheesy 1" straps a while ago when I almost lost a Duc in transit. I use 2" ratchet jobs now. Beefy!

xrmikey - there's no such thing as too many tie-downs.

post #21 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
I quit using those cheesy 1" straps a while ago when I almost lost a Duc in transit. I use 2" ratchet jobs now. Beefy!

Great point. Everyone is responsible for their OWN stuff and related mistakes. Don't ever offer to SOLELY bless someone's fastening. Certainly offer advice but the owner is responsible. I'm for redundant tie downs.

The extremely lucky point is another vehicle wasn't riding behind the trailer when the unappreciated Duc was launched, or they would have been cleaned out.

post #22 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

If i'm doing the driving I'm am gonna be double tie-down everything! Just ask RidgeRunner how many times I offered to let him use my tie-downs, while hauling his to JoMoCo! U sure that's enough I said! He probably got tired of me asking but I've never lost anything while I haul stuff!!

Sorry about your vacation and hope it turns around for you guys!!

post #23 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
If i'm doing the driving I'm am gonna be double tie-down everything! Just ask RidgeRunner how many times I offered to let him use my tie-downs, while hauling his to JoMoCo! U sure that's enough I said! He probably got tired of me asking but I've never lost anything while I haul stuff!!

Worked like a charm too!

post #24 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sorry to hear. Bummer while trying to have some fun, that's for sure.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #25 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Quote:
A tie down was rubbing on the edge of the trailer and it snapped, sending his 2 month old Duc flying off the trailer and out onto the highway at about 60 mph. The bike is totateld.
You would have seen me crying on the side of the road. Here's hoping insurance covers it and you guys can resurrect your vacation.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #26 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post

Hate to quote myself here but my wife reminded me of a moment that was funny! Well funny now! I was hauling a fourwheeler on my little trailer and took an off camber curve a little to fast after riding all day and was exhausted, so to say the least I rolled the trailer and fourwheeler over. Funny part was the atv never seperated from the trailer at all!! Lots and lots of tie downs!

eitherway guys hope you salvage your trip!!

post #27 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

When I really want a bike to stay in my truck... I weld it in.

But seriously. Years ago, towards the end of a two day bender, driving out to Laconia with my Harley in the back of my truck (not sure why), my buddy and I were in the front seat finishing our last Bush Pepper ( half Bush beer, half Dr.Pepper cause we only had one can of each). I look up in my rear view mirror (day time) and see a bike like really really freakin close to my truck..scared the crap out of me...then I realized it was my own bike in the back of my truck.
These days I sleep more, drink less.
JohnnyB

post #28 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

But seriously. Years ago, towards the end of a two day bender, driving out to Laconia with my Harley in the back of my truck (not sure why), my buddy and I were in the front seat finishing our last Bush Pepper ( half Bush beer, half Dr.Pepper cause we only had one can of each). I look up in my rear view mirror (day time) and see a bike like really really freakin close to my truck..scared the crap out of me...then I realized it was my own bike in the back of my truck.
JohnnyB
I had a somewhat similar experience at work coming off of a bender, I fell asleep at lunch in my truck ,when my eyes opened my truck was about a foot away from another truck.reacting quickly I stood on the brakes and turned the wheel and nothing happened because I was parked. everybody was laughing at me and I felt like an a$$ but it was worth it.

post #29 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
WoW

A little update again for you guys. My uncle is a super cool guy and decided to buy a brand new Ninja 650R, so my buddy can ride it for the week. It's definitely not a Duc, but it's a bike, and it's a pretty trick little bike too boot.

As far as who tied the bike down i'm not sure. My uncle and my buddy both were working on loading the bikes on the trailer, while I was loading the truck with all of our gear so, who tied down which bike i'm not sure. All I know is that it happened, and it sucks. But tomorrow is a new day, and my boy has a bike to ride, and that is exactly what we'll do.

I have to give a big shout out to Kingsport Kawasaki and Triumph in TN for giving us quite the deal on the bike, being super friendly and accomodating on a quick last minute sale, and for throwing in some free t-shirts and giving us "cost" price on a few select items. We had explained the situation to the salesman on the phone, and when we got there, he gave my buddy a hug for his loss haha. Super friendly people!

Anyway, I'll give more updates as the week goes on. I gave my number to a couple of the guys at the dealership, so we can meet up with them Wednesday and they are going to take us on some great rides that only the locals know I guess. Should be a good time!

post #30 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

JohnnyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I had a somewhat similar experience at work coming off of a bender, I fell asleep at lunch in my truck ,when my eyes opened my truck was about a foot away from another truck.reacting quickly I stood on the brakes and turned the wheel and nothing happened because I was parked. everybody was laughing at me and I felt like an a$$ but it was worth it.
Thanks guys! You both succeeded in getting my wife and I laughing out loud. Good thing we're in the house.

post #31 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
A little update again for you guys. My uncle is a super cool guy and decided to buy a brand new Ninja 650R, so my buddy can ride it for the week. It's definitely not a Duc, but it's a bike, and it's a pretty trick little bike too boot.

As far as who tied the bike down i'm not sure. My uncle and my buddy both were working on loading the bikes on the trailer, while I was loading the truck with all of our gear so, who tied down which bike i'm not sure. All I know is that it happened, and it sucks. But tomorrow is a new day, and my boy has a bike to ride, and that is exactly what we'll do.

I have to give a big shout out to Kingsport Kawasaki and Triumph in TN for giving us quite the deal on the bike, being super friendly and accomodating on a quick last minute sale, and for throwing in some free t-shirts and giving us "cost" price on a few select items. We had explained the situation to the salesman on the phone, and when we got there, he gave my buddy a hug for his loss haha. Super friendly people!

Anyway, I'll give more updates as the week goes on. I gave my number to a couple of the guys at the dealership, so we can meet up with them Wednesday and they are going to take us on some great rides that only the locals know I guess. Should be a good time!

awesome!! if you need help riding any of the bikes left undamaged I'll take the day and come with!!! :001_smile:

post #32 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

wow, this is terrible news. I'm sorry to hear this, and feel bad for your friend. But I have to say... Your Uncle is one awesome guy, and kudos to the dealership for the bangin' deals.

post #33 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post

I agree... I don't stop putting on tie downs until I've used all that I have!
The 2" ratchets are the hot ticket!

post #34 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:

tough luck about the bike, your uncle definitely sounds super cool.did he buy the bike for your friend or for himself either way its cool of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Thanks guys! You both succeeded in getting my wife and I laughing out loud. Good thing we're in the house.
Hey man anytime ,I`m here all week try to catch a show.

post #35 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
tough luck about the bike, your uncle definitely sounds super cool.did he buy the bike for your friend or for himself either way its cool of him.

Hey man anytime ,I`m here all week try to catch a show.

Well at the end of the week my uncle is going to take the bike home with him, but my friend gets to ride it all week. (It's definitely not a bike my friend would be interested in owning) and my uncle may end up turning around and selling it asap (which is cool because he realizes he will be taking a hit on some money just so my buddy can ride this week)

We are hitting the gap tomorrow so I'm excited!

post #36 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Well at the end of the week my uncle is going to take the bike home with him, but my friend gets to ride it all week. (It's definitely not a bike my friend would be interested in owning) and my uncle may end up turning around and selling it asap (which is cool because he realizes he will be taking a hit on some money just so my buddy can ride this week)

We are hitting the gap tomorrow so I'm excited!
Well its official your uncle is super cool, have a good vacation.

post #37 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

does your uncle need anymore nephew's??

post #38 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Your Uncle is great! This way you all can enjoy the vacation. Your Uncle/Bud made sure the 650R is FULLY insured for any driver? Double check ...just like the straps.

post #39 of 80 Old 09-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Your Uncle is great! This way you all can enjoy the vacation. Your Uncle/Bud made sure the 650R is FULLY insured for any driver? Double check ...just like the straps.
If his luck is that bad, he better just go back home.

post #40 of 80 Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
WoW

Yes he checked with the insurance company. All drivers are insured with his policy. We went and did 500 miles yesterday (including the gap) So we broke in the new 650 on the tail of the dragon haha.

There sure are some interesting people down there at Deals Gap I tell ya.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode