A Spyder Race - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

A Spyder Race

Let me start from the beginning. I was my way to work and was by myself for most of the ride when I come up to a red light and as always look into my side mirror to see if a car is behind me and going to stop. I notice a strange head light configuration in the lane next to me and then it hit me “Oh, this is one of those Snowmobiles on wheels” Sure enough the guy driving, in full gear, pulls up and on a Yellow Spyder. Light turns green and I go. Not wanting to race I take it easy in case a cop is around and the exhaust note from the delks gives off a cretin impression in the city, so I take easy. The Spyder is behind me then he does the standard “Come on then, Lets race” move. In case you don’t know what that is it is the blurp of speed to get in front of you then slow down. It is just him and I on the road, still pretty dark, so, I kick it down a gear and go. I was ahead the whole way. He shot past only when I slowed down after realizing I was doing 130 in a 55. That’s jail speed. For (A few) more horse power and torque it’s still a dog due to its looks and its weight. Better luck next time.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I like contraptions. The Spyder is definitely a contraption...

It's not something I'm likely to get anytime soon, though. If I was in the market for a new goldwing, I would seriously consider it since it's very reliable and since goldwings are no longer motorcycles anyway.

The Spyder (being a contraption) should be compared to other things, like sidecar rigs, and such. compared to a sidecar, its not a dog at all. it does what it does very well, and does it comfortably. it's not stealing anything from the bike demographic, its adding a new level...sorta.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #3 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I like em, they look cool slithering down the road. Conor and I saw 9 of them on our last trip home from Vacaville. The touring version is a little different, not sure how I feel about that one yet

Dan

post #4 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Damnit a new guy just joined up named SPYDER. Hope he doesn't see this thread

post #5 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I like contraptions. The Spyder is definitely a contraption...

It's not something I'm likely to get anytime soon, though. If I was in the market for a new goldwing, I would seriously consider it since it's very reliable and since goldwings are no longer motorcycles anyway.

The Spyder (being a contraption) should be compared to other things, like sidecar rigs, and such. compared to a sidecar, its not a dog at all. it does what it does very well, and does it comfortably. it's not stealing anything from the bike demographic, its adding a new level...sorta.
+1, I prefer 2 wheels for mow but later in life (much) I think these will be an option to stay in the wind, much better than a trike conversion IMHO.

post #6 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'd take a trike any day over the spyder. I've ridden both, and while the trike is sluggish in it's cornering compared to a bike, the spyder actually leans to the outside of the curves, and you fight the darn thing all the way thru. I don't care for the feeling of the spyder wanting to lean to the outside, and your front inside tire wanting to come off the road as you corner. I did grow up in northern Michigan, and we snowmobile'd a lot, and the spyder definatly handles like a snowmobile, just w/o the fun. For instance, your lean on the syder does nothing for the way it corners, as it does on a sled, because you can't dig in to create your own banking. Try riding a sled on the dry grass in the summer, and you'll know what a spyder feels like on the street....close enough.....you get my drift. Now if they had done something to the steering system to produce the correct angle of lean in the bike while your cornering, I might have wanted a second ride....

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #7 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnceguy View Post
I'd take a trike any day over the spyder. I've ridden both, and while the trike is sluggish in it's cornering compared to a bike, the spyder actually leans to the outside of the curves, and you fight the darn thing all the way thru. I don't care for the feeling of the spyder wanting to lean to the outside, and your front inside tire wanting to come off the road as you corner. I did grow up in northern Michigan, and we snowmobile'd a lot, and the spyder definatly handles like a snowmobile, just w/o the fun. For instance, your lean on the syder does nothing for the way it corners, as it does on a sled, because you can't dig in to create your own banking. Try riding a sled on the dry grass in the summer, and you'll know what a spyder feels like on the street....close enough.....you get my drift. Now if they had done something to the steering system to produce the correct angle of lean in the bike while your cornering, I might have wanted a second ride....
Interesting analogy, I haven't ridden either, my opinion was based only on looking at both on the road. When the time comes, I guess I'll have to ride one of each.

post #8 of 25 Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnceguy View Post
(Mtnceguy and I have ridden the very same spyder)

That feeling of centrifugal force is normal for anything with more than two wheels...it's why bucket seats were developed for sports cars. the feeling is different from vehicle to vehicle of course, and under- or over-steer and body roll play into it. I thought the Spyder's suspension was relatively tight & sporty, and it does have traction control to keep the inside wheel planted. Shifting your weight to the inside will definitely help, but no, it won't cause the machine to corner "Like a motorcycle". Another thing that adds to the different feel on the Spyder is that it doesn't countersteer either...like a car.

I've been looking into sidecar outfits recently, and have gone for a couple test rides on different rigs. The Spyder would take much less getting used to than a sidecar. A sidecar has all of the handling issues that Mtnceguy mentioned, plus some extras...A sidecar outfit pulls a bit to the right on acceleration, and pulls to the left on braking. plus the car can come up into the air on right hand turns... different machines, different feel.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #9 of 25 Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I noticed this inertia effect as the Spyder and I entered into a long swooping turn. This is the point I let off the throttle and he went pass. I saw his body to the outside and if I could see his face I bet it was the "Oh shit!!!" face as he was clinging to the Handel bars.

Potential danger for a small kid riding on the back for the first time? I can see it now you take a turn to fast and he goes flying off the back.

post #10 of 25 Old 08-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Le So Cal Troll

never liked those spyder things.... dunno how they call them a "motorcycle"

post #11 of 25 Old 08-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

My dad was interested in one till I told him they are $18,000. You can get a Corolla for that much.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #12 of 25 Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I think they are neat and give them credit for the creativity. I understand it's kind of like a kart in that they don't lean. The MP3 from Piaggio does lean and I just read recently in CW that Can-Am has applied for patents that show leaning. Maybe a new version is on the way. I agree with FlyCatcher that they are too expensive. Plus they only get around 30 mpg.

post #13 of 25 Old 08-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Brain stolen again?

I'm with ya, mambo. They are OK. The engine is what grabs my doodle. Love them motors!!!!!!

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #14 of 25 Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Gonna start picking on Goldwing trikes next?

post #15 of 25 Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Sure! And those HD trikes too!

post #16 of 25 Old 08-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Sure! And those HD trikes too!
I like taking candy from babies too!

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #17 of 25 Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Personally, I wouldn't mind a Spyder. Certainly better than what they have in England...

I bet you'd never do this on a Spyder...

Rolling a Reliant Robin - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #18 of 25 Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Great episode of Top Gear.

post #19 of 25 Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
never liked those spyder things.... dunno how they call them a "motorcycle"
I really don't mean this in a nasty manner; but I honestly fail to see any advantage of 3 wheels over 4 or 2, unless you have some sort of handicap and want that motorcycle feeling.

Otherwise, there are plenty of exciting little sportcars to choose from that's most probably more of a thrill and has superior road holding than 3 wheels.

A few examples:

Caterham:

KTM X-Bow

post #20 of 25 Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I just want one of these:

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #21 of 25 Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

^^^Great Face pealing car right there! Just ask Jermey Clarkston

post #22 of 25 Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yeah, that:

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #23 of 25 Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Some people mod their niner a little differently
Three wheeled motorcycle The X-15 - YouTube

Arte et Marte
post #24 of 25 Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM
no max no more

they have trac control for cornering ..it it could hang with you up to 130 mph its no dog..corrected speed of 105 110 mph....know a few people who own them and all are people who how some kind of problem leg back ect,,,,there 100 hp plus......i dont think one would be be able to stay close with me..dont think you had your coffee yet

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #25 of 25 Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

We were at 40mph when he asked to go so I kicked it down and went. He was behind me the whole time till we hit 130mph. I slowed down because I didn't want to go to jail..... The TC is fine to help keep all three wheels on pavement and not sliding or in the air, but that doesn't mean you aren't going to get thrown off the bike due to inertia. You can't change the laws of Physics on that one. He sure was holding on pretty hard when he passed as I let off the throttle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode